Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Puppy Dog

Our Dog Bruno did very well when flew from Toronto, Ontario Canada to Porto, Portugal even though I was really worried about him. When we got him from the airport he was shaking alot and his water dish had been knocked over. Other than that he survived through the whole flight very well.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Owned by Belgians

Just want to add:

"Unless recommended and prescribed by your own veterinarian, one who knows your dog's medical history, do not sedate your dog for air travel. Sedatives or tranquilizers, combined with high altitude can cause breathing difficulties. This is especially true for any snub-nosed breed. A dog's balance can also be compromised by sedatives."
Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsk8 View Post
Please note the references on this article

Quote:
References:

"Regulators Probing 3 Airlines After 61 Dogs Die Last Summer," The Houston Post, December 19, 1990.

"On a Hot Plane, Three Dogs Die," Philadelphia Inquirer, September 26, 1991.

"Pets Aloft," letters, AAA World, Jan/Feb 1994.

"Pets on Planes: Too Often It's a Rough Ride," Condé Nast Traveler, June 1992.

"Animal Deaths Trigger Federal Agency's Action Against American," Fort Worth Star-Telegram, October 28, 1993.

"10 Tips to Ease Your Pet's Next Flight," Los Angeles Times, February 14, 1988.

"Pet Who Died in Jet's Hold Is Ruled Baggage," The New York Times, February 16, 1994.

I just recently got a puppy and the breeder that I was dealing with was all the way across country from me so I was going to have to have the puppy shipped. I did a lot of research on it and here's what I found.

First of all there are new FAA regulations on shipping dogs. In the later part of 1998, the FAA made new rulings, pertaining to flying live animals and plants. The cargo room where they fly, must have the same air, that is flowing in the cabin with the passengers. When the Airlines tell you that they will not ship dogs in over 85 degrees, or under 20 degrees, that is NOT because of the temperature on the airplane. That is because they do not want the dog being on the little transportation cart, on the tarmac, going from the plane to the terminal, in those temperatures. Continental and some of the others are now starting to use air-conditioned and heated buses to carry the dogs from the airplanes to the terminals.

Most airlines cut pug nosed dogs off if the temp is going to be over 75.

Because my puppy came in July I ended up getting a different puppy from a different breeder. There was just no way to get a dog on the ground in July in NC. Instead I drove 7 hours to KY and got one.

I read a lot on shipping dogs via airlines and a lot of the rescue places ship dogs all over the world. You wouldn't believe the number of dogs and cats flying around.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

Interesting posts, everybody. still don't want to fly my dogs in cargo.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I had a pup shipped from NC in July. Heat really wasn't an issue. It was continental dropping the ball repeatedly, canceling his second flight, refusing to do anything about it.. The non english speaking jerks at the cargo desk who wouldn't hand over my puppy with out a world class fit... And then continental's pet complaints person not returning my calls.

That all makes me not want to ship again. Their quickpak service though should be phenomenal for moving your animal from point a to b.. it's all the rest of it that's apparently an issue.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 PM
LB2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Red View Post
Hello and welcome and thank you for that info. I have heard that animals are not treated well on flights also knew a baggage handler that said they actually fling the containers holding these dear little ones . Think I will do what you say we have a great team here in Las Vegas that willl jump on something like that. Thanks.

I HAD TO SHIP a Pomeranian full grown from midwest USA to Europe central. When he arrived with me on the same flight but he in cargo hold as AMERICAN airlines wont have it any other way. I was shocked to see his condition and how terrified he was, he pooped in his crate, was soaking wet from pee and all his water. there was NO more food in his crate, bowl was removed from door where it was supposed to be attached to.The poor animal suffered teremendously. I will never do that again. i will pay a higher price to take him on board and fly with a European carrier as they allow this.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:55 AM
Top Dog

Regis was flown to me from NC. Not exactly a drive I could make, from CA to NC, hehe. But he did really great. We had to changed the date twice because of weather, but other than that it all went smoothly. And he wasn't tramatized, either.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Active Pup

im overprotective of my puppy anyways so i would carry her on board with me no matter what... there would be no way i would put her precious little life in a strangers hands... its hard enough to leave her at the vet or the groomers... i dont trust other people with my baby bc they dont love her like i do therefore they wont take care of her the way i do...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_els View Post
This leads to the question of flying the dog as an underseat carry-on.

What are the rules about this? Say if I were to go out and collect a puppy in person, could I bring it back with me? I'm speaking only of travel within the USA. Have security restrictions stopped this? Do I have to put my puppy through an X-ray machine?

I know this an old post, but since it was brought up I figured I would answer it incase anyone was wondering the same thing.

When you get to security, you remove the dog from the carrier and they walk through the metal detector with you while their bag goes through the xray machine... then on the other side they are loaded back into their bag.

And dont worry I have never seen a dog strip searched
Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
I know this an old post, but since it was brought up I figured I would answer it incase anyone was wondering the same thing.

When you get to security, you remove the dog from the carrier and they walk through the metal detector with you while their bag goes through the xray machine... then on the other side they are loaded back into their bag.

And dont worry I have never seen a dog strip searched
I managed to cause quite a stir at the metal detector when I flew with Athena - a lab/afghan cross. She was allowed to ride in the cabin as a SAR dog (some airlines do this as a courtesy).

We get to the metal detectors, I empty my pockets and put everything in the little bowl, I put my bag on the conveyor, Athena and I walk through the metal detector. It goes off. Mind ya, this is Thanksgiving Day, the first T-day after 9/11. Security is a bit wound tight but is lacking direction ~ basically they have absolutely no idea what to do next.

They get the wand to go over me and the dog. Someone comes over and asks if they inspected the dog..."Well, yes. I visually inspected the dog." Did you check under the dog's collar? "I visually inspected the dog's collar. But did you check under the collar? You need to check under the collar. "I'm not allowed to touch the dog. How do I check under the collar without touching the dog?" This continued for about a minute...

They finally find the offending piece of foil from the cigarette pack that had gotten stuck at the bottom of my pocket. By then they're getting worried that someone might step on Athena's tail - her butt hadn't ever stopped wiggling, she loved all the attention she was getting, and they almost let me take the bowl with the coins and keys just to get me out of there.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team