Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
LOL! Sounds like you'll have great stories to share with us!
Yes, well, the night we brought him home (one week ago today) we picked him up at the breeders and brought him home. She told us he had already eaten dinner, but we gave him a bit of a snack when we fed our old collie for the evening. He's crate trained so we had him in his crate and he's making all kinds of noises all night long including belching/retching noises. (I was worried about Gastric Torsion i.e. "bloat") I was up and down all night long checking on him, letting him go out for a few minutes, really kind of worried but aside from the noises no apparent evidence of anything being wrong. Finally, 4:30 am he's doing it again and I figure he needs to go out again. This time he seemed very happy to go out and there is this AWFUL STENCH in his crate. I rub my bleary sleep-deprived eyes and see what looks like a carcas with fur and blood in the crate. Great, I though, he scarfed down some road-kill and then puked it up. Delightful. So while he's outside I call my wife to come check this out. Further investigation reveals it's not road-kill but a FULL PAIR OF INTACT SOCKS! They weren't our socks, either! They were dark blue with some red, which is how I mistook them for a carcas in my REM deprived state. We called the breeder later that morning and asked "Are you by any chance missing a pair of SOCKS?" Turns out it was a houseguest of hers who "misplaced" a pair of socks. I have no idea how he got them down without choking, but apparently he did. I think I may have them laundered and shadowboxed and hung on the wall. We didn't know he came with a bonus free pair of socks! Such a deal...

Anyway, that proved to be a bonding experience between he and I, because ever since I stayed up the night with him when he was feeling sick, he's been stuck to me like glue. He's a real velcro dog, alright. Now the big challenge seems to be dealing with the separation anxiety while my wife and I go to work all day. We're working on it, but that's a story for another time I think.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:23 PM
BusterLove

Our lot get kibble for breakfast, I usually add a bit of mashed pumpkin, some toghurt, small can of fish or an egg to that.

Our smallest girl eats as much as my boy despite him being twice her size, she is very high strung with energy to burn, he conserves as much of his energy as possible and won't eat too much as it is.

And I cook for our lot a lot, they either have raw for dinner or I'll throw some vegies, mince and gravy in a frypan or saucepan for them and give them that.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Active Pup

Finally got around to posting the intro thread with pics here:

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...=1#post1018564

BTW just got our guy to the vet this morning for his #1 checkup/shots/chip and his wt was at 83.3 lbs, down .2 lbs from last week, so I guess the Atomic Powered Rocket Dog really does need more fuel!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Active Pup

Ok, just got results of first checkup and the reason for his loose stools is NOT diet or stress related...

He has giardia and whipworms. So, off to the vet we go and got some Panacur to clear it up and some Interceptor to make sure he doesn't get re-infected. We also have to treat our collie because they have spent a week in the same yard together. $250 later... ka-ching!

Glad to know our boy will be treated for what ails him and that it is an easy fix. We will continue feeding what he is on now and watch what happens. Gee, if this is what the Atomic Powered Rocket Dog is like when he's sick, he is really going to be a hot rod when he gets to feeling better!