Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Active Pup

Default HELP! My male dog is peeing on everythin!!!

I have an adult small breed mixed dog he has been house trained since we found him about a year ago. We are foster parent and have had teenagers in the house since we have had pablo, but now we have a 2 year old girl and a 4 year old girl, he has started peeing on everything that belongs to them. We also have a new puppy she is 5 months old and she has also started peeing in there bedroom. PLEAS HELP!!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

Are either of the dogs neutered? That would be the second thing to do.

The first thing to do is to prevent both your dogs from being able to pee on the girls' stuff. That means that you'll have to watch the dogs at all times, and keep bedroom doors shut (or use baby gates if the dogs cannot jump over them) as much as possible.

If that doesn't work or is not possible, you can get belly wraps or diapers for your dogs to wear. That way they will still pee, but the pee doesn't get on your stuff, it stays in the diaper. For SOME dogs this is a deterrent not to pee (they don't like the wet feeling), but at least it will protect your stuff.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:41 AM
swimming upstream

what are you cleaning up with? You really need to be sure you have cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner (I use Nature's Miracle-available at pet supply stores)--helps to remove the smell.
Is the puppy house trained? Is Pablo marking over where the puppy has left his scent?
Are the children toilet trained (some kids have difficulties--I know by their ages they should be, but it's not always so!)
You may need to leash the dogs up to you or near you to keep an eye on them to correct this behavior.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Why are you keep an intact male?? Unless you plan on being a serious breeder, which means Titling the dog and doing all the genetic testing that goes with that...........then neuter.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

adjorts, he didn't say either of the dogs are intact.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
adjorts, he didn't say either of the dogs are intact.
Oops, my mistake, sorry.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Rescue Ranger

My thoughts are that the peeing is a way that this dog is trying to prove that although there has been the addition of new children and a new dog, he is still the top dog. The household has been disrupted and he is not feeling very happy or secure with the shake-up. I would begin with trying to restore a sense of calm and balance. Belly bands are wonderful and do prevent messes, so they would help in restoring calm. This would help a great deal. I think you are going to have to really tune in and see what this dog is trying to tell you. Perhaps you have not been as attentive as you were before...these little changes may be very subtle and not meaningful to you, but they can cause jealousy and uneasiness in our pets. It is absolutley normal for puppies to have accidents and it is normal for other dogs to mark over them...that is just canine behavior. I have seen it with both males & females. I agree that proper clean-up is essential to prevent further marking. Do your best to handle the symptom of the problem with belly bands and keeping the children's items picked up, but then take a look at the underlying issues...changes in pet behavior are often messages to us.

I've been frosted!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

There's always a under lying cause ......try to find it . And good luck !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/