ear taping HELP

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
didnt know whether here or grooming...
but here goes.

ive always wished ribies ears would stand (crestie standard wants standing ears but they often need help...)
but i could never bring myself to shave her ears inorder to start...

well this morning i let her out to pee and i dont know what she got into in the garden (its a fenced garden) but she comes in with somehting very sticky and gross tangled into one ear...the ONLY way to get it out was via shaving, it was totally encrusted so all the hair on that ear had to go byebye...then of course i coudlnt leave her lopsided...so nwo both her ears are shaved...she looks soooo strange :p her ears are SOOOO tiny now lol.

well i figure mabe its worth taking this mishap and trying to tape her ears...
but im looking for an easy method that doesnt nessicarily involve using tones of sticky crap that might agrivate...

has anyone used the self sticking vetwrap type stuff instead of actual sticky tape?!

didnt know whether here or grooming...
but here goes.

ive always wished ribies ears would stand (crestie standard wants standing ears but they often need help...)
but i could never bring myself to shave her ears inorder to start...

well this morning i let her out to pee and i dont know what she got into in the garden (its a fenced garden) but she comes in with somehting very sticky and gross tangled into one ear...the ONLY way to get it out was via shaving, it was totally encrusted so all the hair on that ear had to go byebye...then of course i coudlnt leave her lopsided...so nwo both her ears are shaved...she looks soooo strange :p her ears are SOOOO tiny now lol.

well i figure mabe its worth taking this mishap and trying to tape her ears...
but im looking for an easy method that doesnt nessicarily involve using tones of sticky crap that might agrivate...

has anyone used the self sticking vetwrap type stuff instead of actual sticky tape?!

Vet wrap won't stay on unless you put it tight enough to cut off the circulation, which as you know, would make the ear fall off (ew). :)
Why not try a few breath right strips. This will be less messy, and less sticky. Be sure to clean the inside of her ears with alchohol before you do this or the natural wax and grease of her skin will not allow the strips to stick very well. The breath right strips are very gentle on the skin and made to stick to human skin without much agrivation. Plus the little stiff stick inside them will help the ears stand. A single large size pressed to the center of the ear, long ways up and down, should be enough.
Good luck.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
that sounds like a great idea! i think ill start there...
i figure i could always go to tape if nothing else works...

that sounds like a great idea! i think ill start there...
i figure i could always go to tape if nothing else works...
If you decide to go with "tape" use mole skin (the stuff you put in your shoes to keep them from rubbing blisters on your feet). Cut the mole skin to the shape you need then press it to the inside of the ear. A little ear glue will make it impossible to come out (until you want it too).

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Medical tape works. You have to make sure its breathable. Hold it up to the light and if you can see light through little holes in the fabric then its breathable. Rubbing alcohol works VERRY well to get glue residue off the ears. Breath right strips should work for a crestie since they are not large dogs. They usually only work on larger dogs once the ears are close to standing

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
hows the moleskin method work?

like i cut the moleskin to fit within the ear (not the canal of course) stick in and then leave as is or brace and how do you brace with that method

im thinking im going to try the breathright strips first and see what happens, then the moelskin and if that doesnt work i will do the post/tape... i may need to bridge as her ears tend to fly off to the sides ive noticed :p

Members online

No members online now.