Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Active Pup

Default Terrier 0 skunk 25

My dog just cornered skunk against the fence. Man did he get sprayed. I had to charge in and throw a blanket over the dog. Got a dose myself this is horrible. What works on skunk?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:54 PM
agilitydobemom

You can contact your vet and they carry a shampoo to aleviate the stink also I have seen people use tomato juice but it don't work that well
Old 11-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Felurian

I had to deal with that once. First the bath, then the tomato juice, then cheap beer to get the rest of the odor out. I've got some hysterical photos of my Bear, crocked from licking at the beer, sitting leaned up against the fence surrounded by empties.

I don't know how well it works, but I've seen several different brands of shampoos specifically for skunk at the pet supply store.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Big Dog

i have also heard that beer works well. just try to let it saturate as long as possible! Melissa
Old 11-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

LMAO about Bear and the beer! My cat has gotten sprayed and I used tomato juice. Try getting a cat to sit still long enough. That was a nightmare!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:44 PM

Thankfully, I've not had that happen as yet....but if it does, I think I'll be saving a couple of those beers for myself. Skunk is sooooooooo awful!! I've always heard to use tomato juice, too. Someone just told me they used baking soda. Not sure how good it is, but it might not hurt to dust some baking soda after....unless your dog's skin is too sensitive. It does neutralize odor.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenlee
LMAO about Bear and the beer! My cat has gotten sprayed and I used tomato juice. Try getting a cat to sit still long enough. That was a nightmare!
I was hysterical! Bear was a largish (110 pound) German Shepherd/Akita mix with a THICK pelt and there were lots of empties . . .

The worst part was, the poor dog didn't get sprayed when he killed the skunk. He was too quick for that. He got it when I asked him what he had and he picked up the carcass and threw it up into the air and caught it to show it to me. Right in the mouth and all over his face, neck and shoulders.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Felurian

No, no, Serena. You wash the dog in the tomato juice, then you soak the DOG with the cheap beer - not yourself. You can get soaked with whatever you prefer. Personally, I'd suggest Negro Modela, or if you prefer wine, something from Beringer Brothers or Concha y Toro.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Felurian

Are they howling verses of "99 Bottles of Beer"?

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

Yeah Brady started to go near a baby skunk a couple of months ago and luckily my husband retreived him before the mother saw him coming. That would not have been fun.