Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 03-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Water Junkie

Default Nikon D70 or D40?

I know there have been a lot of threads about these two cameras. But which one is better? If you had to choose one, which would it be and why? Do you feel you get better pictures with one? Is one easier to work/use than the other?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I dont know about any of the others, but I found the D40 to be very user friendly since Im a complete NOOB when it comes to taking decent photos ROFL
Old 03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
MIiA

Saje would probably be the best one to answer this as she's got/used both.

From what I understand, the d40 and d70 use the exact same sensor (6mp sony). The differernces that I know of are:
-d70 has a much higher flash sync speed
-d70 is now discontinued & the d40 is still current
-d70 is a more substantial camera in terms of size and from the limited playing around I've done with each, the d70 was more comfortable to hold (for me).
-d70 might have a depth of field preview.....but don't quote me on that.
-d40 uses SD cards, d70 uses CF cards

Unless you need something the d70 specifically offers, I'd stick with the d40 because it's current and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an image shot from either camera.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Twin 2.0

The D40 is also a lot cheaper and if you're a n00b starting out, it's more camera than you're going to know what to do with. The D70 (besides being dx'd) has a bunch of fine-tune options that are useless unless you're a pretty serious camera person.

Overall, the D40 would be the best choice.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Are you dead yet?

The D70 (and D70s, I think) has been replaced by the D80..

Andrew is spot on. I'd go for the D40, Jen, over the D70 models or the D80. I adore my D70 but considering all I use mine for are digital photos that never get printed, I would be just as well off with a D40.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

I got a Nikon coolpix for my b-day..is that a good one?? Its nothing like yall are talking about but I was still wondering..Like what kind of pics am I suppose to take w/ these kind of cameras? Just every day life or can they be used for pro pics?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 PM
feel the magic

Where is the cheapest place to get this Nikon D40 camera?

And what kind of stuff should I look to be getting with the camera vs. what I should purchase separately for it, IF I were to buy one of these cameras?

ETA: I'm so sick of being envious of everyone's GORGEOUS pics of their dogs (and I thoroughly enjoy seeing these pics, too, don't get me wrong.).
Old 03-20-2008, 05:58 PM
feel the magic

crap, also, can this camera take flash pictures without it being obvious that one used the flash to take the pictures? Does that question make sense?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
crap, also, can this camera take flash pictures without it being obvious that one used the flash to take the pictures? Does that question make sense?
honestly, no. Well, i guess probably it can. But i can't figure out how. I never use a flash anymore.

D40. I have a D50...i think the D70 is geared more toward proffessional photographers and people looking to for specific qualities.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Water Junkie

Becca, I've found that I can buy the body of a Nikon D40 on Ebay for around $100-$200. Then purchase a good lens for about $200.

If I bought that together, it would be around $450+.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l