Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Taco Dog

Default Mordy

Or to anyone who wants to answer. But I know Mordy has the most experience in this area.
Ok, my friend and I are about to open up our own grooming shop. I am going to want to selll food. But, I want to be different from everyone around here by not selling the main stream foods (i.e. Science Diet, Eukanuba). My friend is not educated in this area and feeds her Chi i/d from Hill's. How do I politely tell her that I do not want to sell this food and that I want to offer the higher quality foods to people??
Also, I want to have a pamphlet readily available to show people the differences these foods can make and maybe send them with our grooms when they leave. Do you have one I can print off or would you help me with one?

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 07-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Quigleyfied

well, first of all, i/d is a prescription food, so you won't be able to sell it to just anyone - people need a prescription from their vet to buy it. not very practical for making a profit.

i don't have anything print-ready, but i'd definitely be willing to help you out on coming up with a brochure.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I would just tell her that you would like to offer foods that aren't as readily available to the public as science diet. Maybe even show her the differences in ingredients. Or offer her brand as well as the brands that you would like to offer as well.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:53 AM
Felurian

Take her to Mordy's site, to www.greatdanelady.com and to www.naturapet.com and show her how to compare the ingredients in different foods using the comparison protocol.

I was very proud of the people at the AgriFeed and Pet Supply store in Knoxville where I buy my dogs' food. Even though Iams/Eukanuba products had been good points of sale for them, they discontinued them and posted letters to their customers explaining why and that there were many other foods that were actually far superior nutritionally and did not cost more and were not manufacturered using cruel testing methods. From what they've told me, they haven't lost any profits at all!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

The dog training school and groom shop that I go to for dog training and handling classes is where I buy my food BECAUSE the only brands they carry are Canidae, Innova, Solid Gold and California Natural. I really respect places that have the dogs whole interest at heart. You will find clients that appreciate what you are doing as well. There are a lot of people out there that really do care and they will find you!!
Old 07-26-2005, 07:24 PM
no touchy

I agree with Julie and showpug. There are three places around here that sell higher-quality brands. Since I know that most brands you find at places such as PetSmart are lower-quality, and these places sell only good brands, I'm really more likely to go there.
Will you have shelving and such for the foods? There's a boarding kennel/natural feed store here, and his feed store is TINY! Bags of food are stacked on the floor, and it reeeaaallly smells like dog. There's barely any room to budge. But his prices are good and he seems nice.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:13 PM
yuckaduck

I'm in full agreement too and I live very close to Ottawa and am finding it difficult to find higher quality food. Not to many offer it and I will have to drive abit furthur to get it but it is worth it for the health of Yukon.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Taco Dog

Yes gaddy, we will have it on shelves. I mentioned it to my friend the other night and she said that first we have to get a retailer's license. SOooo, when we do get that license, I will hopefully have already talked her into it. I just don't want to offend her by telling her the foods that are crap is one of the foods she is feeding her own dog. But I am slowly going to start talking to her about it and get her on my side of the "great food debate."

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 07-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Felurian

Maybe the approach on it would be to point out that EVERY shop, vet's office, chain, etc. sells the "other" stuff and you won't be able to compete on it price-wise, so your shelf space is more valuable if you offer valuable choices the others don't.

It's all in the spin, Pro . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-27-2005, 12:31 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Yes gaddy, we will have it on shelves.
LOL just wanted to make sure because that boarding kennel down here is really not fun to go to.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.