Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-26-2009, 07:16 PM
overdogged

Default GSD breeders

A friend of mine lost her old shepherd over the weekend (tragically. He died at the kennel while they were away. Unexpectedly, although he did have some health problems.)

Anyway, she wants another shepherd and her husband insists they get a puppy. She wants a good pet dog. She has two boys (5 and 9 I think), doesn't want to do anything with the dog beyond normal pet dog activities (hiking, frisbee, hanging out and being a dog).

Can anybody point me in a direction that I can point her? We're in Central PA. I just don't want to see her buy a dog from a crappy BYBer.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Resident fainting goat

this is my FAVORITE breeder, where i will one day get my boy from
(Working German Shepherd Breeder in Michigan, by Wildhaus Kennels )

they are in michigan, but do ship.

If you can, check out german shepherd forums. they will point u in the right direction

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Water Junkie

I don't know any, but that's terrible for your friend. Many vibes for her.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

germanshepherds.com: Choosing A Breeder

I would try there first. Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people.

I would also second Wildhaus, (although he produces serious working dogs) he is active on that board and has a very good reputation and is well regarded by his peers.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 PM
and Fozzie B!

Are they willing to ship their puppy?

I know an AMAZING breeder in Chico, Ca. Beautiful, sound, stable working dogs and pet quality puppies available.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Twin 2.0

That Wildhaus breeder sounds really good...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 AM
and Fozzie B!

These are two of my favorite breeders... I love GSD's, I was going to get one before Gonzo, and hopefully I'll get a nice puppy someday! Both are in California. Both are really nice people (I've met both of them) with awesome, well-rounded dogs.

German Shepherd Dog, True Haus Kennels (<-- I was about to get a puppy from them... stunning dogs and a very supportive/informative/invested breeder.)
Hinterland German Shepherds - Litter Announcements (<-- Really nice dogs with all kinds of titles, from Schutzhund to Herding to Therapy work.)

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Top Dog

If you're looking for an active pet, Chris Wild would be a great place to start looking. They do breed working lines, and they can be "serious" working dogs or they can be great even tempered, healthy athletic and energetic pets. That's the beauty of breeding for utility, not beauty.

he does have the web board mentioned earlier, it's a good place to start looking.

Here's another person you can check with, she's in PA. She's been around for quite a long time. Really loves the breed and knows it. She might not have the dog for you, but probably knows who does. The website is kind of all over, but trust me she knows her stuff.

AboutShelley
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 PM
overdogged

thanks guys. i passed along your links. i don't know how much money she's got to put into a well-bred dog and i suspect the working dog kennel aspect will turn her off a bit- she doesn't want a serious working dog. she wants a friendly, flexible pet dog. but we'll see.

it's a shame her husband won't go for an adult dog. there are a couple gorgeous looking younger adult dogs in local shelters, a la petfinder. i mean seriously. Adopt a German Shepherd Dog: 55101-SHELBY: Petfinder
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

Take it from someone that works GSD's regularly. Showline kennels that advertise the best of everything have laid back, pretty dogs and the temps vary. They aren't cheap, most reputable show kennels are 2K and up easily for a puppy.

working lines, again you can get all sorts of temps, but why a working line would turn anyone off, especially somebody that wanted a GSD is beyond me. a good working line dog can be whatever you want it to be. Mine go with me everywhere from camping and hikes to parades and Home Depot. They play with kids, they play with me and lay around the house when its time. They also will do lots of other things most other dogs won't too, if you want them too.

and i've gotten dogs of all ages, from 8 weeks to 5-6 years old and in the end it's all the same concerning our bond and training. It probably won't matter cause the dad has his mind made up, but seriously the right dog for the family is the right dog.