Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Active Pup

Post Dog Breeds Good with Poultry?

I run a small hobby farm in the country. I'd like to get a dog to keep on the property as a part-time protector, full-time friend/companion. Not sure I want a livestock guardian as I don't think they would fulfill the requirements of the companion part. (From what I've read, anyway.) Don't really want a herder, either, as they would get bored while I'm at work and for lack of things to herd. I don't want my birds herded, just protected. Any good breeds out there that won't cost thousands of dollars to purchase that I should look into? I should probably mention that my poultry are free-range and I want a dog that can be trusted around them.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Fila Love

I would suggest using a fence for protection.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 AM
koda bear

Good awnser filarotten, Im going to have to agree im not so sure i know many dogs that would not go for a bird when left alone.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

I have Shepherds and we have a lot of geese here but my dogs don't bother them. They will sit and watch but then go about their business.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

Something you need to understand- in one way or another, you're poultry would be in danger from any breed. In general, breeds like Siberians, the sighthounds, etc, are known for being somewhat aggressive towards smaller animals- they will chase to kill. Then you have the breeds like Labs, who, while in general, will not run down an animal to kill it, they will "maul" it to death with kindness (holding them down and licking, etc) Also, any dog will chase anything that runs, so if your chickens take off when the dog approaches, they will be chased. We had a Toy Poodle when I was growing up on the farm that used to chase anything bigger than her, which was everything on the farm except for chicks, ducklings and goslings. We also had the sweetest Norwegian Elkhound, who got along with all the animals on the farm. One day my cousin's rabbit got loose. When the Elkhound walked up to it, the rabbit took off across the yard. The Elkie chased it, and the rabbit ended up dead from a heart attack. Now, the Elkhond did not approach the rabbit with the intent to kill it, but the end result was the same.
All that said, believe it or not, I'd suggest something like a Lab or Golden Retriever. In general, they aren't animal aggressive, but you'd be taking a chance you would lose chickens due to "being loved to death" or being chased if they ran.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Twin 2.0

I would get a good chicken fence for when you're not there and save the roaming for when you can somewhat supervise.

My grandma had chickens and I taught her border collie to herd (read: run and bark until they flew back over the fence) the "escapees" back into the pen (which was plenty huge). Otherwise she left them alone.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy

I live in a rural part of PA and my neighbor that backs up to our development is a small hobby farmer. She has some alpaca, one horse, and a whole lot of geese and chickens running free range. Her guardian/companion of choice is "Sophie" the beautiful (often muddy) Great Pyranese. She is wonderful with all the animals and pays absolutely no mind to the geese and chickens. Bodi LOVES Sophie....not so sure it's reciprocal though.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

I have free range chicken and 5 dogs. I have not lost any chicken to my dogs. The best by far was Mikado my APBT. He loved the chickens. He would walk out there and lay aroind with the chickens walking around him. He was so good with the goats and rabbits too. Even DaVinci ny toller cross is good with the other animals. He is only 1 3/4yrs old so I figure in another year he wont chase the goats either.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 PM
koda bear

Micksmom I wouldnt say that siberians, are aggressive towards small animals it really depends on the dog, there more prey driven. But if they grow up with that animal there okay. But sibes would take off anyway with out a fenced yard.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisco16 View Post
Micksmom I wouldnt say that siberians, are aggressive towards small animals it really depends on the dog, there more prey driven...
Yeah, poor choice of words on my part. That was what I was trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisco16 View Post
... But sibes would take off anyway with out a fenced yard.
Yeah, that, too.