Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Salty Sea Dog

Default afghan, salukie and danes...oh my.

so just because its been playing in my mind...

im "thinking through" my DISTANT future "big" dog...
(my next dog probably in about a years time (if we have a house by then will be a 3rd crestie lol)

theres are 7 breeds that i absolutly LOVE

Staffie Bull, Doberman, Standard Poodle, Standard Xolo, Saluki, Afghan, and Danes.

obviously all are EXTREEMLY different breeds

i think, with the cresties a poodle would be too much coat upkeep so i think ive ruled a poodle out...

Xolos are a realy cool and interesting breed, but i think mabe too similar to the cresties...id like to "expand" so i think ive ruled these guys out too...

Staffie bulls are a favorite, but id want to import one from the uk if i was going to get a staffy...and im very worried about dog agression with the cresties and such a powerfull breed. they are also a "high risk" breed in the area and there trying to get them under legislation...as well as making getting affordable house insurance a pain in this area...meaning there probbaly out of the question too...

Dobies also fall under the "expensive home owners liability insurance" category...and as much as i love dobies the bf is warey of them...rulling them out for the most part too...

this leaves Danes...

i had a dane growing up who was the love of my life...
and ive fostered danes.
i love the way they look and they have great personalities, but their short life span, health concerns and potential same sex agression make me warey of making a dane a perminent addition...

Saluki
i love the way this breed looks and moves, they are a stunning breed...but ive not had any first hand experience with them

Afghan.
My grandfather had an afghan, and ive spent quite a bit of time around sighthounds...
cresties also have a sighthoundish personality...
i LOVE these guys, such sweethearted gentle giants...even if they can be "hard of hearing" lol.
i do have a little bit of concern about running a sight hound...were planning on having a good fenced garden but it wont be huge...and walks are no problem...but id want to find a lure coursing club or soemthing before going for it.

im also concerned with prey drive in the sighhounds, the cresties arnt "tiny" but there definatly small enough to insite "bunny" thoughts...

no matter what breed they woudlnt be left alone with the cresties unsupervised...
but yeah..

any thoughts, opinions, even experience with these breeds...
would be apreciated.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 05-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

Foxy, there are insurance companies that don't have breed restrictions, and they tend to love it when you get a CGC on a Doberman.

I would be more concerned about their prey drive and same sex aggression in the household. Males are much more notorious for this, but depending on the attitude of the female, it happens with females as well.

Is he wary of them because they look intimidating? That's the point But when you own one, they love you like life itself.

I'm biased, though

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 05-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

Foxy

sighthounds are generally smart enough to tell the difference between a small dog and another type of animal. a bigger problem is that they don't understand their size and power, this is why they injure & kill most small dogs. they simply hurt them in play. the british breeds are accustomed to working WITH smaller dogs that flush the game to them. my own has lived w/a mini dachshund and currently my daughter's maltese. he understands they are dogs, keep in mind my shag is an active hunter that has caught and/or killed everything from 1# squirrels to 4# rabbits to 250# wild boar. yet he still has no difficulty discerning the difference between small dogs & game.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Foxy

sighthounds are generally smart enough to tell the difference between a small dog and another type of animal. a bigger problem is that they don't understand their size and power, this is why they injure & kill most small dogs. they simply hurt them in play. the british breeds are accustomed to working WITH smaller dogs that flush the game to them. my own has lived w/a mini dachshund and currently my daughter's maltese. he understands they are dogs, keep in mind my shag is an active hunter that has caught and/or killed everything from 1# squirrels to 4# rabbits to 250# wild boar. yet he still has no difficulty discerning the difference between small dogs & game.
Definitely this. Strider plays with our neighbors boston terriers most days, and there is a much larger size difference between him and the bostons, than you would have between a saluki or afghan and the cresties. I don't let them run in the pasture together, because at those high speeds an accidental collision would be terrible for the small dogs. Mainly he just rolls around in the yard with them and does his "gentle wrestling" moves.

With how much you like grooming, you'd probably love an afghan. Salukis are neat too, I never was very into them until I met one at a coursing event, he just kind of snuck up to me and leaned on my leg, then turned on his big brown eye magic, lol.

Sighthounds in general have a good sense of their size and strength. We have found ours to be good with dog savvy children because of this.

For exercising a sighthound, access to a fenced off playground or ball field is a lot more important than a coursing club. Most clubs only meet a couple of times a month, and then the dogs only get a few runs in, spending the rest of the time standing around waiting for their turn on leash. If you don't have an acre yard at least you should be able to get them to a safe larger fenced area. Every day is ideal, but every other day would probably be okay.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Salty Sea Dog

noodle, im honestly not sure what it is about dobies the bf doesnt like, he wont tell me he just says he doesnt realy want a dobie...
which i have to respect since he didnt realy want ANY dogs but is being great about the cresties and isnt putting up a fuss about me getting a big dog in the future.

pops, thank you.
i personally thought that there smart enough to tell the difference (and wouldnt be playing together unsupervised so im nto too worried about the rough play lol) but ive had some people try to insist that they would veiw the cresties as prey so i wanted some who have more experience with the true sighthounds (since cresties are more a sighthound x terrier personality) than i do

i think afghan hounds are simply gorgeous dogs!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

I saw my first ever Afghan puppy a month ago...I fell in LOVE! They are cool dogs, sighthounds aren't for me though

I'm sure you'll fall in love with something that everyone will enjoy!

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Salty Sea Dog

thank you!

you have borzoi right? (i LOVE borzoi but the coat doesnt apeal to me for some reason...) and i think its the afghan coat that origionally drew me to them...they're absolutly stunning!

the place were looking to eventually buy has a huge securly fenced playing feild in the back so that might work.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:16 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I've recently fallen for sighthounds... Afghans are gorgeous, but I don't know if I could deal with the coat! When I meet a greyhound I can't keep my hands off of them lol maybe I'll have on of those in the future!

I say Afghan! Selfishly... only because I don't remember seeing too many on chaz and I want pics LOL

On a more serious note, good luck on your search

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
I say Afghan! Selfishly... only because I don't remember seeing too many on chaz and I want pics LOL
Icy has afghans and a dobe.. I asked her to chime in on her thoughts on it. Maybe if you are a good girl she'll show you pics too.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Icy has afghans and a dobe.. I asked her to chime in on her thoughts on it. Maybe if you are a good girl she'll show you pics too.
Can't you see the halo?

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o