Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
LorriF's Avatar
LorriF LorriF is offline
Puppy Whipped!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 453
Default What makes a backyard breeder?

Forgive my ignorance here, but I am just wondering (and not meaning to offend anyone!)--what makes someone a "backyard breeder" vs a good breeder? And is that different from a puppy mill?

I'm new to dog ownership and all the issues this past week have made me realize that I don't really know exactly what those things are! (sorry if this is a stupid question )
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2005, 07:15 PM
yuckaduck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

This is my personal opinion so it may very from what others say but
a puppymill is someone who mass produces to make money with little to no care for any of the dogs. Dogs are in small cages to take up as little a room as possible, so they can fit more dogs to breed more. Also there is no concern for pedigree or health or guarantees, or anything. It is all about the money.

Backyard breeders-probably love the dogs but again it is all about the money. They usually show abit more concern about what they are breeding, often no health checks are done on the parents and usually no guarantees are given or rediculous guarantees. They often breed mutts but not always. They often are more interested in lining their pockets than the dogs. No contracts, no questionnaires, no follow ups...

A responsible breeder, does all the health checks on both parents, does temperment test on both parents, offers guarantees of 2 year min. Usually makes no money at all, they are in it for the dogs. They sell based on puppy questionnaires, spay/neuter contracts and they follow up on the puppies often available to answer questions or help out throughout the dogs life. They know loads of information about the breed they are breeding and it is always purebreds. Their dogs are clean, well socialized and don't leave before 8 weeks old. They take pride in helping people; they answer questions readily about there breeding practices; they often allow you to visit and see the pups and dogs and how they are kept.

Anyone who simply says I don't have to justify myself to you, when you ask about their breeding practices, run fast as you can the other way because they have something to hide. Anyone who does not willingly step up and answer the questions is a byb.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2005, 07:24 PM
EliNHunter's Avatar
EliNHunter EliNHunter is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,836
Default

I agree with everything Yucka said. BYB's are in it for their ego and aren't very knowledgeable. My friend got his "Lhasa Apso (sp)" from a byb. He's now 13 and doesn't even look like one. His vet says he's half Lhasa Apso (sp) and half whatever you want him to be...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2005, 01:02 AM
mrose_s's Avatar
mrose_s mrose_s is offline
BusterLove
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 12,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck

Backyard breeders-probably love the dogs but again it is all about the money. They usually show abit more concern about what they are breeding, often no health checks are done on the parents and usually no guarantees are given or rediculous guarantees. They often breed mutts but not always. They often are more interested in lining their pockets than the dogs. No contracts, no questionnaires, no follow ups...
ok, not disagreeign, just like to add my bit.
ok, so i am guilty, my family has bred our dog before, but it was NOT for the money, we sold the pups for $50 because that is what we bought Martha for. Also, we did follow up the pups, my mother knew who had bought them and we did see the puppies as dogs, it was great for my sister and I as we learned a LOT about young puppy care at only about 6 and 8.
We were careful all the puppies went to good homes.

I just wanted to say, not all bakyard breeders are trying for the money, we did it beacause we wanted to cary on Martha's line and because we think every dog hould have puppies. We were going to let Sophie have pups because we wanted another Sophie, another lovely girl to keep forever.

thabks for reading
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2005, 07:37 AM
yuckaduck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s
ok, not disagreeign, just like to add my bit.
ok, so i am guilty, my family has bred our dog before, but it was NOT for the money, we sold the pups for $50 because that is what we bought Martha for. Also, we did follow up the pups, my mother knew who had bought them and we did see the puppies as dogs, it was great for my sister and I as we learned a LOT about young puppy care at only about 6 and 8.
We were careful all the puppies went to good homes.

I just wanted to say, not all bakyard breeders are trying for the money, we did it beacause we wanted to cary on Martha's line and because we think every dog hould have puppies. We were going to let Sophie have pups because we wanted another Sophie, another lovely girl to keep forever.

thabks for reading
Every dog should have puppies? Is that what you are saying? Well not going to argue with you but I strongly disagree with that. A female dog is not abused or lacking if they do not have puppies. Personally I think anyone breeding mutts for any reason is adding to the unwanted mutt population out there. I will simply agree to disagree with you because we just have a different opinion here. I certainly can understand wanting to keep a part of a beloved pet alive.



Since I have been trying to rescue a purebreed gsd and I see the gasing that takes place with these wonderful dogs; I just can't understand why someone would want to breed mutts and add to that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2005, 11:10 AM
showpug's Avatar
showpug showpug is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s
ok, not disagreeign, just like to add my bit.
ok, so i am guilty, my family has bred our dog before, but it was NOT for the money, we sold the pups for $50 because that is what we bought Martha for. Also, we did follow up the pups, my mother knew who had bought them and we did see the puppies as dogs, it was great for my sister and I as we learned a LOT about young puppy care at only about 6 and 8.
We were careful all the puppies went to good homes.

I just wanted to say, not all bakyard breeders are trying for the money, we did it beacause we wanted to cary on Martha's line and because we think every dog hould have puppies. We were going to let Sophie have pups because we wanted another Sophie, another lovely girl to keep forever.

thabks for reading
Woa, woa, woa.......

Hate to break the news to ya, but you won't get another Sophie! Sophie is Sophie and she's unique, her puppy may vary greatly in personality and temperment AND looks!

Every dog should be bred? Boy, I wonder what the shelters would look like if this took place....so sad
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2005, 11:12 AM
yuckaduck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
Woa, woa, woa.......

Hate to break the news to ya, but you won't get another Sophie! Sophie is Sophie and she's unique, her puppy may vary greatly in personality and temperment AND looks!

Every dog should be bred? Boy, I wonder what the shelters would look like if this took place....so sad

That was my exact feelings but I was trying to be polite in my wording. Poor dogs unwanted and being gased and PTS in shelters and why? Because every dog should have puppies.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Fran27 Fran27 is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 10,316
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s
ok, not disagreeign, just like to add my bit.
ok, so i am guilty, my family has bred our dog before, but it was NOT for the money, we sold the pups for $50 because that is what we bought Martha for. Also, we did follow up the pups, my mother knew who had bought them and we did see the puppies as dogs, it was great for my sister and I as we learned a LOT about young puppy care at only about 6 and 8.
We were careful all the puppies went to good homes.

I just wanted to say, not all bakyard breeders are trying for the money, we did it beacause we wanted to cary on Martha's line and because we think every dog hould have puppies. We were going to let Sophie have pups because we wanted another Sophie, another lovely girl to keep forever.

thabks for reading

I totally agree with showpugs. Heck, even if you CLONED your dog, it wouldn't be the same dog, because their character depends on their experiences (like us). Every dog should have puppies? Get real, and open your eyes and go look at petfinder to see how happy those dogs are that their parent owners bred them
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-21-2005, 07:29 PM
BagelDog's Avatar
BagelDog BagelDog is offline
Not crazy...
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 212
Default

Anyone who does not have the license for it.

Those people need to go to the shelter and watch all those cute little puppies they just had to bring into the world die. (To those people Think puppies are cute? What about dead puppies? Still cute?

I personally think it should be illegal to breed your dog without a breeders lincense. And that the punishment for you if you do breed your dog should be very, very expensive.
__________________

Buster, 11 weeks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-21-2005, 08:11 PM
EliNHunter's Avatar
EliNHunter EliNHunter is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagelDog
Anyone who does not have the license for it.

Those people need to go to the shelter and watch all those cute little puppies they just had to bring into the world die. (To those people Think puppies are cute? What about dead puppies? Still cute?

I personally think it should be illegal to breed your dog without a breeders lincense. And that the punishment for you if you do breed your dog should be very, very expensive.
Bagel Dog... your pup is ADORABLE!!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site