Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

Default For all you breeders out there

What made you want to breed dogs? Why are you breeding that specific breed of dog?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Are you dead yet?

I am not a breeder yet, but I plan on it in the future. Hopefully by next year I will have my foundation bitch, and in about 4 years I will be planning a litter.

My reason for wanting to breed is really simple: Improvement of the breed.
Border Collies, as a breed, have a lot of room for improvement, and they especially need help along the lines of versatility. (Example: It is quite rare that you will see Border Collies from working lines with structure good enough to finish their conformation championship.) A lot of BC breeders seem to have gotten so caught up in the "working dog vs. show dog" politics that they have forgotten all about their original goal: "the good of the breed".
My goal in breeding will be to improve the structure of the working BC, and still preserve the hard, "original" BC temperament and working ability.

I've chosen to breed Border Collies because I love the breed. They are, to me, everything a 'good dog' should be.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip's Girl
I am not a breeder yet, but I plan on it in the future. Hopefully by next year I will have my foundation bitch, and in about 4 years I will be planning a litter.

My reason for wanting to breed is really simple: Improvement of the breed.
Border Collies, as a breed, have a lot of room for improvement, and they especially need help along the lines of versatility. (Example: It is quite rare that you will see Border Collies from working lines with structure good enough to finish their conformation championship.) A lot of BC breeders seem to have gotten so caught up in the "working dog vs. show dog" politics that they have forgotten all about their original goal: "the good of the breed".
My goal in breeding will be to improve the structure of the working BC, and still preserve the hard, "original" BC temperament and working ability.

I've chosen to breed Border Collies because I love the breed. They are, to me, everything a 'good dog' should be.
I will so buy one of your puppies whenever you had a decent sized litter. I adore BC's, my grandma used to have a great one, and that sparked my love of the breed. I just thought I should start off with an Aussie because they're less intense. Some anyway.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Ok here we go
Huskies- I breed for working ability and pet quality i want even tempered healthy sound working dogs. I want to make sure there are always worky huskies around.

Chinooks- I want to preserve and help the breed grow in number. Like with the huskies I breed for even tempered, physically sound, working ability dogs who can also make great pets and stay true to the breed.

I grew up around my parents breeding working Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes. And I knew I always wanted to do the same thing along with becoming a musher and have a great team. With the chinooks I met a man with a team of them at a race when I was a teenager and asked what they were. He sparked my love for the breed and my want to help build their numbers.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 08-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

Wow, I didn't know you bred two different breeds Love4pits, must be a lotta work

Rip's girl, good luck
Old 08-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie1234
Wow, I didn't know you bred two different breeds Love4pits, must be a lotta work

Rip's girl, good luck
More then you could imagine only 5 check that 3 out of 15 of my Huskies are breeding dogs. And 4 out of 8 of my Chinooks are breeding dogs.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 08-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Pits
More then you could imagine only 5 check that 3 out of 15 of my Huskies are breeding dogs. And 4 out of 8 of my Chinooks are breeding dogs.
Just hearing that makes me tired, lol, so many dogs you have!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Taco Dog

IF I breed Roxy Mae... It will be because she is a very well tempered dog. Her body is nice and muscular like a Chi's should be. Mainly though, it will be for the temperament. I think there are too many Chi horror stories going around due to lack of good Chi breeders. I love Chihuahuas. I love all dogs, but as far as picking the breed that just pulls at my heart, it is the Chi.

I have learned from bubba and L4P that if anything should come up or she does not pass her health tests, that she will be spayed then and there. So no worries anyone, I will not bring an unhealthy pup into this world since there are so many ways to detect it.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 08-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Are you dead yet?

Zoom - keep in touch! You seem like you'd make an excellent BC slav--- Er, owner.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 AM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip's Girl
Zoom - keep in touch! You seem like you'd make an excellent BC slav--- Er, owner.
Haha, you probably had it right the first time. Daniel keeps telling me that I spoil Sawyer too much and I keep telling him that he's not even close to being spoiled.