Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Big Dog

Default Dog Breeds

I started something similar on another site, but I figured it'd be a good stimulus of activity here too! I would like everyone to post their favorite breed of dog, and of course fill us in on why. Let us know why you choose the breed you do, would you personally own the breed, and the downsides to th breed you see. Yes, of course tell us the upsides as well! I'll start.

Great Dane - Origin: Denmark/Germany - large and imposing appearance belies its friendly nature, a gentle giant if you will. Normally they are known to get along well with animals, and humans - but of course that also depends on the individual dog. They can be protective dogs, and of course their size can be rather intimidating. Yes, I would personally own the breed and when I get a house of my own I will. I think the downfall is how weak their backs are, and how they are prone to hip problems later in life.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Yorkie Love

Yorkie: BIG personality in a small package. They are energetic dogs and can go all day long if given the chance. However, once they are taken inside they can quickly turn "off" and be happy to relax. They are also super affectionate and want to please you. They like to be with you all the time and are very adaptable... you can take them almost anywhere and they will make the best of the situation. The down side is that they are TERRIERS first and foremost... you have to be careful with them because they do not realize they are small and can get themselves into trouble if you are not careful with them. They can also be stubborn so you must be diligent when training them. I obviously own one and plan to own another within the year... I dont think I could ever be without one.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Twin 2.0

Australian Shepherd: A breed made in the USA, these hard-working loyal dogs can and have done it all, from working on ranches, to performing in circuses to becoming some of the top SAR dogs in the country. They are a medium sized breed (well, to my definition of medium) with tons of energy and brains and a penchant for using them when bored. A good Aussie is one with a steady job! The main "cons" of the breed are shedding, barkiness (they are a herding breed) and deafness/blindness, though the last is typically confined to poor breeding practices and the crossing of two merles together to produce "lethal/pattern whites". The other big downsides are: people breeding "mini/toy Aussies" and those breeders who have turned their dogs into Golden Retrievers with merle coats--big boned, heavy coated and almost no working instinct left.

Obviously I have one and more will be on the way--this is the perfect breed for me!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

I don't have a favorite breed, but if I have to chose between the breeds I owned before...

American Pit Bull Terrier: Great loyal spirits with one heck of a smile. The breed that can do it all and then some with a body made of pure muscle and heart. This breed does not give up no matter how much pain and discomfort they are in. Their love for humans can't be beat, and their stable happy go lucky minds make them the best with children. However, due to their bully nature, they tend to be DA with other dogs, and some can be very stubborn. They are great, and if I could, I will own another in the future, but due to BSL, I may not have the will to own one again.

Oh, but I want to add, owning a pit bull is a life changing experience. I never had to fight for something so hard in my life, and it gives me a purpose in life. I may own another, it all depends on where I am at from now. Where I live now, pit bulls are the most popular breed so BSL is not that big of a worry. Not sure what it may be like in the future...

Last edited by Tahla9999; 05-04-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahla9999 View Post
some can be very stubborn.
luce prefers the word "tenacious" thankyouplease
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Corgi -

Very intelligent, somewhat independent. Medium dog in a smaller package (because of the lack of legs). Generally friendly with strangers. Eager, willing to take on anything - corgis have done sports such as obedience, agility, tracking, herding, they've been all-around farm dogs (herding sheep, cows, ducks, goats, pigs, etc. as well as being ratters), two corgis have Schutzhund 2 titles, they've been used as bird dogs and they even can do a decent job of personal protection. And at the end of the day, they are excellent at curling up on the bed for the night.

Corgis also have an amazing sense of humor.

Cons -

They shed. A lot.
They eat anything and are very crafty about getting into food - corgis can and will get onto the tables and counters.
They tend to have a unique approach to training. Very creative. I don't know if that's really a con, I happen to love it.
Some can be quite vocal.
They tend to be mouthy.
DA and resource guarding are not uncommon in the breed.
As with any long-backed breed, there's potential for serious back injuries and paralysis.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Taxiderpy

Borzoi. We've got one and hopefully will have a second.

Things I love: Easy to groom and they don't smell like dogs. They are very clean like cats, quiet, and biddable. They are huge, but don't eat too much. And despite their gentle regal appearance, there is still that tough as nails fierce part of them that is capable of chasing down a wild wolf and fighting it. I love the way they run, it gives me goosebumps. I love the intelligence of these dogs. Strider's comprehension of english just blows me away.

Things I wish were different: I wish it was possible to let them off leash outside a fenced area. There are so many millenia of chasing and running behind these guys, and they are so fast you just can't risk it.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Puppy Dog

I may be biased but I love Kelpies.
They are great for my life-style, loyal, loving, caring, energetic.
I have always loved GSD's also, there gorgeous.
I keep thinking of more I like, I prefer big dogs, Dobes, Rotts, Danes.
But I like so many, I could adopt any breed you threw at me.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

The German Shepherd: A loving companion and protector. Has the drive to work and be amazing at anything you ask them to do. Athletic, Majestic, Smart, Beautiful, Drivey, and just wonderful dogs. Endless energy and mental stimulation are a MUST. Downside? Shedding. they shed A LOT and thats not an under statement. These dogs will put their lives on the line for you and are not happy until their "person" is close to them and they make it their main job to make sure you and your family are safe. Truly in my eyes the perfect dog. Come in the normal RinTInTIn black and tan, as well as all black, Bi color (black and brown), Sable, and white. WORKING LINES are my preference and the only lines I will even look at.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Papillons, well, I obviously own some and will most certainly own more!

Why? They're just such COOL little dogs. They're wickedly intelligent and highly active. They tend to be very trainable (except Nard) and have great sense of humor. They're great at many dog sports like obedience and agility. They love people and typically like other animals. In short, they provide more love than you'd think possible by such a little animal and they never cease to make me laugh. I'd have a houseful if I could.... oh wait.....

Downsides? Active, very intelligent dogs means they can get bored pretty easily. Small size is a concern you have to get used to. Some can be talkers.