Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Big Dog

Default Talk to me about German Sheppards

Hi everyone,
I’m new to the site so I wanted to thank you in advance for your help.

I’ve come across an opportunity to adopt a German Sheppard from a loving family who is moving away and unfortunately can’t bring their dog with them.
They have told me she has a great temperament and is extremely well trained.

My issue is that I have no experience with this breed and when I started to read up on them a lot of books/articles caution against them because they can be aggressive. Could those of you with extensive Sheppard experience give me the “real story”?

What type of person makes a good match for a Sheppard, and are there any quirks or warnings I should know? Is the shedding really bad?
I grew up with midsized terrier types, so there is something about the “look” of the Sheppard that makes me nervous, although I am always open to new things as long as I feel that I have done my homework .
What are your thoughts? Thank you!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
RedyreRottweilers

step one:

German ShepHERD dog. Often abbreviated GSD. Herding breeds that have shepHERD in the name are always spelled ShepHERD.

From your post if you do not know this dog personally, I would advise you to do more research and not make a hasty decision.

Often the way people who own the dog describe it can be misleading.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Resident fainting goat

Hi I have a german SHEPHERD lol i used to get the spelling wrong all the time 2

the shedding is REALLY bad. but if you brush him/her once a day and sweep around then its managable.

they need A LOT of exercise! a long walk every day, mine get one twice a day! if you dont walk them, they will drive you nuts! and find their own way to deal with their energy (digging, barking ect..)

they are so worth it. they are fearless, protective, very smart, and loving. of course, every german shepherd is different.

these are some good places to start:
Home of the German Shepherd Dog
they have information and a forum full of GSD owners

and this is a good read:
Dog Owner's Guide Profile : The German Shepherd

GSDs are not typically aggresive, what gets them in trouble in their INTENSE protectiveness of their families. they will put their lives on the line for you if they feel your in trouble

German shepherds, contrary to popular beleif, come in lots of colors, my kenya is a bi color (all black with brown paws)
Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

They are high energy, high drive and very intelligent. They need training, they need exercise and they will spend all day dropping a ball at your feet.

They are very bound to their owner - one of the more loyal breeds.

They're not aggressive any more than any other breed, but they can be protective. They'll protect their people and their property. Some GSDs are more protective than others. Ensure that you have obedience control over them to be able to control this natural drive.

Shedding is seasonal - twice a year and can be heavy as they do have a lot of undercoat. Brushing a couple times a week - daily during shedding season - helps a lot. You'll want a good vacuum.

A GSD owner needs to be ready to provide plenty of mental and physical stimulation as well as taking them places so they are adequately socialized.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Resident fainting goat

talk to the owners more, meet the dog and RESEARCH! they are a special breed and no matter how well trained she/he is, you need to continue training

If you have any questions, please do ask
Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryBye View Post
I grew up with midsized terrier types, so there is something about the “look” of the Sheppard that makes me nervous, although I am always open to new things as long as I feel that I have done my homework
I wouldn't advise getting a GSD if you're nervous of them. If you want one in the future, start learning now and start spending enough time with the breed to overcome the nervousness. A GSD - and pretty much any dog of any breed - is very tuned into the owner's emotions and will most definitely sense your nervousness.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Resident fainting goat

This is Kenya:

If you would notice all the diffrent places and things we are doing. thats what it takes to really TIRE her. since she doesnt have a job, i gave her one. her job is adventures and fetching and running, and all that stuff and lots and lots of obedience! Even fun stuff like trick training.. just gotta keep their brains busy

NILIF is a WAY OF LIFE! sit for your dinner, wait to be invited on the bed, down when i leash you up or they will walk all over you

You CANNOT be scared of this dog.. she will walk all over you.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Resident fainting goat

another thing to mention, kenya is a TINY german shepherd, at only 55 pounds
Old 04-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Big Dog

Thank you so much for the quick replies about the ShepHERD

Fransheska101, Kenya is adorable! She looks so happy!! Thank you for the links.

The dog I'm interested in is about the size of an average sized golden retriever, to give you an idea ***8211; so not too big. I guess I shouldn't say I'm nervous around them...more curious and intrigued yet ignorant ***8211; which is why I would like to hear from owners.

I guess what I would like is advice on incorporating an adult into my life. Any rescuers out there? How do you trust a new adult dog in new situations?
Should I take her to get her personality assessed by a trainer, do some obedience classes, spend lots of time exploring***8230;?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Not a lurker

I think they take a "special" kind of owner in the idea that you need to know what to expect from them. They make excellent dogs for me to be honest.

Mine is extremely protective of me and my children. She needs a LOT of exercise and sheds excessively. A good vacuum is a must (I have an upright vac and I have to empty it at least 5-6 times while vacuuming a 3 bedroom house that is wall to wall carpet if that gives you an idea, and it's ALL dog hair - I also vacuum every other day and sometimes daily to keep the fur to a minimum due to allergies)

I've only had her since January, and she's taken the role of family protector. She will bark and growl at anyone that hasn't been welcomed into the house and I'd imagine if someone just walked in she'd bite them. She barks at everyone coming in the house and it takes her a few to settle down. She's very attached (a very 1 person dog) to me and if I leave her in the house without being crated while I"m gone, I will come home to destruction and mayhem. Not all are like this however.
She even tore my curtains down trying to watch me while I retrieved the mail - I now bring her with me to get the mail just to keep my curtains up. She is great and very tolerant of my kids (ages 5, 2, and 7 months)

I appreciate her drive though, I spend a lot of time alone with the kids due to DH being in the Army and it's nice to know when people are at my door. She "patrols" my house at night since he left.

Temperaments do vary by breeding though. I think your best shot would be to visit the dog first and see what kind of temperament it has toward you in it's own environment. Lacey is fine with everyone outside of my house or car, she even let my mailman pet her yesterday and nuzzled his hand when we went to check the mail...but if he walked into the house unannounced she'd have a mailman meal. You can really learn a lot by how the dog will act toward you on it's own "turf" and that can be a good indication as to what kind of mentality it has.

ETA: As for size, Lacey is 11 months old (almost a year actually) and right at 65 lbs, and still growing.