Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

Default Why Do Dogs Prefer Their Own Breed?

I've heard this many times, but have no clue why. I mean, I can see that dogs of the same breed are similar sized and might be less intimidating/look like prey, but does anyone know the reall reason. I've heard it said most in reference to JRT's and Dachsunds.
I've noticed that Argon seems to really like a dog at daycare who is just his size and similarly shaped (long legs, skinny body, tiny head), though not the same breed/mix but I don't know if it is just the dogs personality or what.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Resident fainting goat

the only dog ive ever really noticed that with is chihuahuas. they can be downright nasty to completly ignore most other dogs, but love other chis lol who knows

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm All Ears

The paps are like this for the most part. We had a papillon get together with 20 some odd papillons just fine. They were all playing nicely, greeted each other nicely and then someone brought their papillon and their 'other dog' (smallish black mutt with short hair and floppy ears). The entire group went crazy barking at him, which they hadn't done for any of the other dogs.

Eventually they let him play though.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Beagles are clannish. They speak one another's language...they do not get offended by long intense sniffing of privates or the need to be ON one another when sleeping. Many other dogs, and breeds...DO.

Doesn't mean they CANNOT interact with other dogs/breeds....you've seen mine. It just means they PREFER...to be with their own if they have an option.

I will go you one further S&S...my red Beagles always prefer to be with other Red's if given a choice...and my Tri's...with other Tri's. When I had a litter of 2 red and one tri girls...the 2 reds almost NEVER interacted with their sister...I always felt rather bad for her.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 04-26-2009, 03:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
Beagles are clannish. They speak one another's language...they do not get offended by long intense sniffing of privates or the need to be ON one another when sleeping. Many other dogs, and breeds...DO.

Doesn't mean they CANNOT interact with other dogs/breeds....you've seen mine. It just means they PREFER...to be with their own if they have an option.

I will go you one further S&S...my red Beagles always prefer to be with other Red's if given a choice...and my Tri's...with other Tri's. When I had a litter of 2 red and one tri girls...the 2 reds almost NEVER interacted with their sister...I always felt rather bad for her.
My Beagle loved Labs (Most of them, anyway), and any dog that was about the size of a Lab, with short hair, and he liked little dogs like Yorkies and JRT's, he seemed to have infinite patience with them, especially pups. He did have his insane Boxer hatred, too, but he really really really hated most, but not all, other male Beagles. He got into several fights with other Beagles, mostly at the vet's office. He had a reputation as a "scrapper", and the vet said he was by far the most "talented" of all the smaller dogs that got into fights in his office. I don't know why he developed the prejudices he had, when he was young, he got along with every dog in our neighborhood, except for the giant GSD who attacked him for no reason one day when he was about 9 months old. Later on, they were big buddies, but the other dogs he got along with originally ended up being "enemies" later on, especially a 50 pound Poodle mix, "Robbie". They got into it several times, with stitches required for both of them most of the time. Robbie ran loose most of the time, as did almost every dog in the neighboorhod, except mine, so it was difficult to prevent fights from starting. My mom hurt her back badly slipping on ice while trying to break up one of Robbie and Farfel's "dances". She wound up in the ER, and Farfel wound up getting stitches. About 2 years later, my mom had to have back surgery.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

My Tollers really don't enjoy other Tollers at all for some reason. LOL, in fact, they seem rather annoyed by most! Spring turns into a completely different dog around other Tollers... and not in a good way. I find that kind of odd, considering that was the only breed she lived with for 7 months. And Dance, she ignores them for the most part. They do, however, get very excited at the sight of a Doberman!

Keira, on the other hand, adores her breed! Probably because there is no other breed out there that seems to play like Dobermans do. Not that I've been around anyway. She can spot one a mile away and she starts wiggling and gets all excited. Well, until she gets close to one.. then she's very respectful, but still very happy. She's much more reserved around most other dogs.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm on a boat..

I have a variety of dogs, two of whom don't really look like any other dogs I've seen around (being mixes). However, I will note that for 7 years Jules couldn't stand any other dogs. He just tolerates the other dogs in his home, and even as a puppy he's never, ever played with another dog. I brought Grimm home, who is somewhat terrierish, and they play, play, play. We call it Tardy Terrier Play
Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post

Keira, on the other hand, adores her breed! Probably because there is no other breed out there that seems to play like Dobermans do. Not that I've been around anyway. She can spot one a mile away and she starts wiggling and gets all excited. Well, until she gets close to one.. then she's very respectful, but still very happy. She's much more reserved around most other dogs.
My dobes have always recognized and acknowledged their own breed. Ilsa loved other dobes, Ronin loves all female dobes, and Kaylee gets all moon eyed and giddy around others of her own breed.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Just try me..

My dogs don't. The JRTs get along with any other breed better than their own.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM
woop

Pit LOVES tollers. He can spot them from so far away and he just starts screaming with excitement. There was another toller in our agility class and every time we passed her, Pit's brain would fall out his ears and he'd go bonkers.