Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy

Default What Breeds Can Be "Left Alone?"

Are any breeds OK to be "left alone?" I ask because almost everything I read or hear indicates that most breeds are not meant for those who are not home most of the day. Is there a breed that would be fine left to it's own devices during an eight hour work day? ....and I don't mean a working farm dog (ie. Pyranese). Just wondering.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Felurian

Kharma and Buffy were both okay with it, even if I took Bimmer with me. Bimmer's always taken it right in stride. Of course, they do seem happier having a companion with them.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Taxiderpy

A lot of sight hounds seem okay, as they are more independent anyway, and once they are grown they seem to just sleep all day like a cat given the chance. Especially the ex racers, as they are used to being crated for hours between turnout times. They like to have a buddy too though.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Depends more on the individual dog than the breed. Both my corgis are totally fine left alone for a work day. Tyr isn't OK left alone for five minutes, but he has SA. Nyx can be left alone for a work day, but I just have a lot of exercising to do then when I get home.

As for breeds "not meant for those who are not home most of the day", I think it's advice that should be taken with a grain of salt. It's pretty unrealistic to think there are that many dog owners who don't have a full time job outside the home. A lot of dog owners are gone for more like 12 hours a day, spend 8 hours sleeping, leaving four hours for family and errands with very little time for a dog. People like that shouldn't own any breed of dog. Dogs that can't handle being home alone for a work day can still be owned by someone who works - some people can come home in the middle of the day, some hire a dog walker, some take the dog to day care.

If the dog is home alone all day while you're at work, make sure you spend lots of quality time with him other times providing sufficient physical and mental stimulation. Make sure you're realistic about your schedule and your own energy level ~ if you're exhausted when you get home from work, don't get a high energy breed that's going to need to go for a long run in the evening.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 03-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Cleo would be just fine left alone during the day. She sleeps most of it! Any of your less active phlegmatic breeds might be okay...esp if provided with a companion of some kind...and perhaps even indoor outdoor access via dog door to a secure yard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Not a lurker

My two I'm lucky if I come back to a house after an hour. I spend most of my pre-going out time making sure there's not anything down for them to get into trouble with, but they usually find something. Then again, they are also puppies still.
Smokey I could leave in the house for 24 hours and he'd have been ok with it, but he was really low energy and didn't chew.

I wouldn't suggest ANY puppy for someone who's not going to be home alot due to work, etc. No matter what the breed. Though I do think older dogs (read that as over 2) that are fully housetrained and have stuff they can play with can be left alone for an 8 hour period...it's really an individual assessment of each dog.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

I agree that it's based on the dog , not the breed . I've always been an at home Mom for my dogs . Grand dog Seger is alone all day and is fine . Other 2 granddogs --- one is free and one kenneled .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Yorkie Love

I think people get too hung up on the fact that dogs shouldnt be left alone, I see it on rescues sites all the time, "this dog needs someone who stays home with them all day"... really?! who stays home all day? While I dont agree with leaving your dog for 10-12 hours every single day with no chance to get out... I think most dogs do fine being left alone during an average work day. Saying you will never leave your dog alone is unrealistic for the majority of people.

Armani goes to sleep on my bed when I leave, he always has access to his toys, food, water, and his wee wee pad but I think he sleeps most of the time.

There are individual dogs with SA who dont do well left alone... Elle had SA but as soon as my parents got Bella it went away... so I do think some dogs do better with a "friend"... I would like to get Armani a friend when the time is right. But all in all I think as long as you work out other things for them dogs can be left alone and be fine.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
I think people get too hung up on the fact that dogs shouldnt be left alone, I see it on rescues sites all the time, "this dog needs someone who stays home with them all day"... really?! who stays home all day? While I dont agree with leaving your dog for 10-12 hours every single day with no chance to get out... I think most dogs do fine being left alone during an average work day. Saying you will never leave your dog alone is unrealistic for the majority of people.

Armani goes to sleep on my bed when I leave, he always has access to his toys, food, water, and his wee wee pad but I think he sleeps most of the time.

There are individual dogs with SA who dont do well left alone... Elle had SA but as soon as my parents got Bella it went away... so I do think some dogs do better with a "friend"... I would like to get Armani a friend when the time is right. But all in all I think as long as you work out other things for them dogs can be left alone and be fine.

Totally agree. My chihuahuas sleep for most of the day anyway, whether we're home or not.

If being home all day was a requirement for most breeds, well, not too many people would be able to have pets.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 03-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Let it be

My two Border Collies are 100% FINE with being left alone. Especially Bandit. He is the one who's more attatched to me too. Miley doesn't care either. I guess I am lucky.

Spanky needs a doggy friend though. He can't be totally alone. That's when we have issues.