Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 09-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Ass Lover

Cool Photoshop + new dog.

I'm glad I found a new studio watchdog.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Alpha Dog

A pure breed Rockhound
Old 09-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Felurian

ROFL What an expression Josie has! Maybe she was a music critic in a former life.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Ass Lover

I hate to burst bubbles, but being the "honest" tweak artist I am, I have to admit that I was just fooling around with a new version of Photoshop. Josie's expresion in the original picture was actually pretty retarded...when I applied filters and viewed the composition I thought it would be funny to paint "piercing" eyes and it would make her look mean.

It did.

I still think it's a cool shot, considering it was taken in the dark with a compact digital. It's rare to have in-focus perspective at that range at low resolution.

*the preceding paragraph was digital photography geekspeak*

I need a beer.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Felurian

If you don't already, you really do need to enter some of the stuff at www.freakingnews.com .

What kind of digital equipment are you using. You're obviously well versed. Ever think you'd be considered a resource?

I've never had any luck with a digital. They seem to know that I don't consider them real cameras. The Olympus Charley bought to use for the store quit after taking about a handful of photos. I set it down next to my Nikon (with the 200mm lens attached) and the Olympus suddenly died. I think it died of shame and lens envy. Sony's done the smart thing - put Zeiss lenses on some of their digital models. I understand one of the manufacturers, Canon, maybe (?) has solved the lens restriction puzzle and now has a digital camera available that accepts different lenses. Lens quality and capability has always seemed like the real weak spot in digital to me.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Ass Lover

Being an old SLR photographer (Minolta) it took me awhile to wrap my arm around digital ameras as anything other than a gimic. After researching though, digital photography is actually superior as far as image manipulation, processing costs etc. Most people only picture (no pun) the small compact cameras like the one I use now, an Olympus D490, which is 3 years old. I've been researching Digital SLRs that are awesome, but pricey (1-5 grand). The digital SLRs accept a variety of lenses, and some MFGs cameras are even interchangable with their film SLR cameras.

I'm probably going to get the Olympus D-1, which is about 1300 bucks. It's AWESOME.

It's great to be able to choose and tweak your photos in Photoshop and only print the ones you want, rather than have to process a whole roll for one picture. The digital SLRs initial image, when captured, is actually superior to that of a film camera.

Check out PC Photo magazine for great info.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:27 AM
Felurian

I'll probably let Charley invest in the digital imaging end, since he can write it off as a business expense. The next little photography toy I'd like to have is one of those (drool) lovely, long lenses that you can see God with. Barring stumbling across someone who just really wants to see me happy with one at a ridiculous price, though, the next toy (after some car stuff) will probably be a fish-eye lens.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:09 PM
Alpha Dog

I got a neat digital camera three months ago to take pics. I had no idea what to get so a friend helped me out. Got a Cannon EOS rebel with two lenses and a 420EX flash. And added a battery pack. One lense came with it and one is a EF 28-135mm with an image stablizer. The lenses are very easy and quick to change out. Now I have to save up and by about a 300 or 400mm lense. They are expensive...

Chazhound
Old 09-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Ass Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazhound
I got a neat digital camera three months ago to take pics. I had no idea what to get so a friend helped me out. Got a Cannon EOS rebel with two lenses and a 420EX flash. And added a battery pack. One lense came with it and one is a EF 28-135mm with an image stablizer. The lenses are very easy and quick to change out. Now I have to save up and by about a 300 or 400mm lense. They are expensive...

Chazhound
Those digital rebels are nice cameras. What did you pay for yours with the extra lens?
Old 09-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Felurian

Canon makes some great equipment. I like the Canon EOS, except for one thing a photographer friend warned me about after he got his: the lenses are outrageous, and they are very specific - they only fit the EOS, and no one else makes lenses to fit the EOS. Hopefully that will change as the patents expire (which should be soon on some of them). Tamron makes some excellent lenses and you can get them at very reasonable prices, so hopefully they'll do the same for the EOS when they're able.

My favorite thing about the digital revolution in photography? Now I can get killer used Nikon equipment at better prices! When I have film processed I just have the shop burn me a CD at the same time.