Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 08-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Training the Trainer

Default Ruby getting impossible!

Ruby is now 14 weeks and as such still has two weeks to go before her third and final vaccination, before we can take her out.

She gets played with a lot, and a lot of our time and attention, but she is still just a complete mental case! I know she's a pup and they're all rambunctious but she is very big and we are having trouble handling her. The main problems that we are having with her are jumping and biting.

We let her in a lot because we want her to spend time with us, but she CANNOT chill out - even after really intense playing that goes on for an hour or more. She constantly jumps up onto the lounge - she knows the command for `off' because she always obeys it but two seconds later she is back up again. And she is always biting at our hands, feet and faces (if she's close enough) and grabbing our clothes for tug-of-war. It is very difficult to be around her like this because she seems like five puppies in one!

She responds extremely well to training, seems to love it and we have no doubt that as soon as she can go out and we can walk, run and play with her till she's actually tired that will make a huge difference. But does anyone have any suggestions in the meantime!!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Top Dog

Bitter apple spray. My pups 11 weeks and she bites our clothes a bit. Not much though. She gets a firm 'No' and then we ignore her for a minute. Have you tried a time out time? What breed is Ruby? Taking her out at just 16 weeks is a bit late. My pups last vac is when she's 12 weeks. After that we're going to socialize her with other dogs. Because after 16 weeks its hard to intoduce pups to new dogs. Some people call this time the learning period.(8-16 weeks) Anyway, good luck
Old 08-11-2005, 03:19 AM
Training the Trainer

We tried a normal spray bottle last night - she loved it!! Do you spray the bitter apple on yourself or in her face? That seems a bit extreme but if it doesn't hurt them...

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 08-11-2005, 03:30 AM
Top Dog

Noo. Not in her face. You spray the bitter apple spray on whatever you dont want her to chew. If you dont want her to chew your hands, spray it on yourself. Furniture and all. If your just using a pure water spray, you can spray on her. But avoid her eyes. She's adorable by the way
Old 08-11-2005, 03:35 AM
Training the Trainer

Awww thanks she is a cute girl isn't she?? She's getting really fluffy now - her poodle genes are starting to show through...lol. And we love that round puppy belly - my bf calls it her `orangutan belly'...

Yes, the water pistol last night was NOT really a success - I think being a lab cross she was like, `Water?? YAY!! I love water!!' And every time she got a squirt she just got extra excited. I mean, I don't know what I was thinking anyway, she tries to hop in the shower with you at every opportunity!!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 08-11-2005, 03:38 AM
Top Dog

LOL. Aren't they fun. hehe. Try the bitter apple spray. But never spray it on her. Just the furniture and your hands. Or anything you don't want her to chew on. Labs looooover water. So she probably thought it as a game. I would give the bitter apple a go. Or you could try tabasco sauce...
Old 08-11-2005, 03:39 AM
Top Dog

Default I live there too!! lol

OMH!!! I just saw that you live in Perth. Where abouts?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:40 AM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh
OMH!!! I just saw that you live in Perth. Where abouts?
Ha! Mount Hawthorn - you?

Old 08-11-2005, 03:41 AM
Top Dog

Bayswater
Old 08-11-2005, 03:44 AM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh
Bayswater
Oh cool, my vet lives there.

I will try the bitter apple spray - wasn't sure where to get it here but I assume most pet places have it.

It's not so much her biting on things that is difficult because she has learned a `give' command and so will stop (usually!) when you say that to her. It's mainly when we have her in the lounge with us at night and she constantly jumps up on us - our fault for giving her endless cuddles on the lounge when we first got her, I guess.

If we invite her up for a cuddle she will chill out a bit, but then the biting starts.

We just need to be able to make her tired!! Our vet said she couldn't go out before 16 weeks but others say after 12 is ok. Hard to know...