Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default What To Do If Animal Control Knocks on Your Door

*courtesy Gamedog

WHAT TO DO WHEN ANIMAL CONTROL COMES KNOCKING

by George J. Eigenhauser Jr.

(he is an attorney at law licensed in the State of California since 1979

and practices in the areas of civil litigation and estate planning)

ANTI-DOG ENFORCEMENT - What Every Dog Owner Needs to Know


Dog owners and ethical breeders are increasingly being targeted. Disgruntled neighbors may retaliate against dog owners and may other reasons drive complaints, and anti-dog enforcement action, which many times may be conducted illegally.


The following text outlines methods of inquiry and enforcement which may be used by local officials in attempts to enforce ordinances in your community and suggested techniques of response. These techniques are entirely legal and based upon the rights of citizens as stated by the U.S. Constitution.


No breeder wants to have Animal Control come knocking on the door...but if they do, it will help if you know what your options are.


Remember, Animal Control is law enforcement. They are bound by the same Constitution as any other government agency. To protect yourself, you need to know your rights. These vary slightly one jurisdiction to another, but some general principles apply. One rule applies everywhere: never physically resist an officer.


When Animal Control is At Your Door:


1. Do not let them in, no matter how much they ask. Animal Control generally cannot enter your home without a warrant, or your permission. While regular police can enter in emergency situations when human life is at risk (i.e. they hear gunshots and a scream inside), there are few, if any, situationsin which Animal Control can enter your home without a warrant. Simply tell them they may not comein.


2. If you let them in, anything they find in "plain sight" can be used against you. In some circumstances Animal Control officers, unable to find a legitimate reason to make an arrest, have reported building orzoning violations. This may include caging you attached to a wall without a building permit, that extraoutlet in the puppy room, having more pets than allowed by zoning, even extension cords in violationof fire codes! No matter how clean your kennel, if they want to find a violation, they will.


3. Do not talk to them from an open doorway. Step outside an close (and lock if possible) the door behind you. This is necessary because:


A) Anything they see through the open door is "plain sight" and may be the basis for an arrest, or probable cause for a search warrant.


B) If they make an arrest or even feel threatened they are usually permitted to search for weaponsin your immediate area. Do you keep a baseball bat inside the door for your protection? Even ifyou don't, once they step inside to look, they are in your home and may continue to search.


C) It is hard not to be intimidated by someone in authority. Some animal control is even done bylocal police, who carry guns. It is easy for them to get "in your face", causing you to back upinto the home. Once you go in, it will be interpreted as an invitation to follow.


4. If they claim to have a warrant, demand to see it. In general, a search warrant must be signed by ajudge. A warrant to search your home for dogs does not include an inventory of your jewelry box. Awarrant to search your kennel in the garage or in the barn does not include a search of your home.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

5. In some locations dog owners may have obtained special "breeder permits" that stipulate that AnimalControl has your permission to enter at any time. If you have signed such a permit they still cannotenter against your wishes, since you can revoke the permission at any time. However, if you refusepermission it may allow them to cancel your breeder permit, so you have to weigh the consequences.

6. Warning - anyone in lawful possession of the premises may be able to give permission for a search.Make sure your roommate, babysitter, dog-sitter, housekeeper and other know that they should notlet animal control into your home or on your property (i.e. backyard, garage, etc.).

How to Handle Questions:
1. Don***8217;t answer any questions beyond identifying yourself for the officer. Anything you say to theofficer in your defense cannot be used in court (hearsay). Anything you say that is harmful toyou will be used in court (confessions are not considered hearsay). You cannot win, except by remaining silent.


2. Be polite but firm. Do not argue, bad-mouth, curse, threaten or try to intimidate the officer.


3. Do not lie to an officer, ever. However, it is NOT a lie to exercise your right to remain silent.


4. Keep your hands in plain sight. People have been shot by police when common objects, such as a wallet, were mistaken for a gun.


5. Do not touch the officer in any way. Do not physically resist an officer, no matter how unlawful his or her actions.


6. Don't try to tell your side of the story, it cannot help.


7. Do not threaten the officer that you plan to file a complaint for their actions.


8. If the questioning persists, demand to speak to a lawyer first. Repeat as necessary.


Gathering the Facts:


1. Get the name and badge number of each officer involved. If he/she does not volunteer this information, ask.


2. Ask the name of the agency they represent. Different agencies have different enforcementresponsibilities.


3. Ask why they are there. Request the factual basis of the complaint and the identity of the complainant.


4. If they have other people with them (Humane Society, press, etc.) get the names and organizations for all present.


5. Note the names (and addresses) of any witnesses to the encounter.


6. If you are physically injured by an officer, you should take photographs of the injuries immediately, but do not forego proper medical treatment first.


7. Write down all of the information, as well as the date and time of the incident immediately, while details are fresh in your mind.


8. If you rights are violated, file a complaint with the appropriate body.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Bahamutt99's Avatar
Bahamutt99 Bahamutt99 is offline
Dafuq?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: High Ridge, MO
Posts: 2,365
Default

Mahahaha! This is the post that got me banned from the Petfinder forum the first time. It's hot, scary information, folks! Soak it up.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lindsay
& the Gravity Dogs


Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2008, 11:04 PM
noodlerubyallie's Avatar
noodlerubyallie noodlerubyallie is offline
Sprayin' the spiders
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,181
Default

Thank you, Renee. Everyone should know their rights as a dog owner.
__________________


U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
Mahahaha! This is the post that got me banned from the Petfinder forum the first time. It's hot, scary information, folks! Soak it up.
Well, you know I always go with hot and scary
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2009, 11:26 PM
aaron11 aaron11 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
Mahahaha! This is the post that got me banned from the Petfinder forum the first time. It's hot, scary information, folks! Soak it up.
and why did they banned you? I can't see any reason?


take care of them
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 PM
lakotasong's Avatar
lakotasong lakotasong is offline
Sled Dog Guardian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York State
Posts: 870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron11 View Post
and why did they banned you? I can't see any reason?
BUMP...?

This post is a sad example of this forum's will to protect anyone and everyone from the ethical sector of law enforcement for animals.
__________________
"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." - Albert Schweitzer

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 10,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview View Post
BUMP...?

This post is a sad example of this forum's will to protect anyone and everyone from the ethical sector of law enforcement for animals.
So, the AC officer who barged into an old woman's house, and kidnapped her puer bred CKC registered labrador retriever because he thought it was a pit bull (which were banned in her area) was part of a "ethical sector of law enforcement"?

Give me a break. That innocent dog would have died that very day if she hadn't had his reg. papers proving his breed.

Besides, officers tricking and bullying people into entering their homes with no evidence is NOT okay. Ever. Not in our country. If there is evidence, they can get a warrant.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Kim M's Avatar
Kim M Kim M is offline
Kim
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
So, the AC officer who barged into an old woman's house, and kidnapped her puer bred CKC registered labrador retriever because he thought it was a pit bull (which were banned in her area) was part of a "ethical sector of law enforcement"?

Give me a break. That innocent dog would have died that very day if she hadn't had his reg. papers proving his breed.

Besides, officers tricking and bullying people into entering their homes with no evidence is NOT okay. Ever. Not in our country. If there is evidence, they can get a warrant.
Yeah I had AC called on me because someone said I left my Poodle out all night in the snow. Everyone who knew me thought it was the funniest thing ever, my dogs are so pampered and spoiled. There is no way I would ever do that even by accident... I'd know if one of them was not in the house. Luckily the guy that came was super nice and believed me.

However, the man that lives next door to my work has a dog that is chained to a dog house 24/7 in all weather and we have had some really bad winter days. People have called on him and that dog is still there, it's been at least 5 years.
__________________

Zipo - Miniture Poodle - 10 years old
Kiko - Chihuahua - 4 years old
Reno - Mix - a year in November
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2010, 02:27 AM
AGonzalez AGonzalez is offline
Not a lurker
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
Mahahaha! This is the post that got me banned from the Petfinder forum the first time. It's hot, scary information, folks! Soak it up.
^^^ I think they were referring to this?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site