Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-31-2004, 01:39 AM
kdempsey61

Default Doberman Vs German shorthaired pointer. Which breed for my family?

Hi all. Im a new member to this forum wanting some information on two particular breeds that we are interested in. We are considering getting another dog around christmas time, as my partner will away alot and I dont feel safe with only my foxy to protect me. (Although im sure he'd give anyone a run for their money if they tried to hurt me!)

As I have mentioned, we already have a 4yr old male fox terrier who loves the company of other dogs. We also have a 1yr old son and another on the way! We own our own home with a large block, however we are in the market to buy a small farm for my horses. I prefer shorthaired dogs as I get asthma. I take my foxy for a run everyday at the local dog park, (which is more of a feild) where he chases rabbits to his hearts content. we also enjoy going to the river in summer time.

I have always had a love for dobermans and would love to own one however I have heard that, though good with your own children, they are not tolerant of other peoples children. Also that they prefer to be on their own and are not really "other dog friendly".

I also like GSP,I used to babysit a friends show dogs occassionally and found them very affectionate and good looking dogs.

I'm just not sure on what breed is for me. Please help!!
Old 08-31-2004, 06:46 AM
Felurian

A well-bred, socialized Doberman can be a model citizen. I've known many people who had Dobermans that were friendly and outgoing, but knew their business when it came time to protect their owners or property. The secret is to socialize your dog so that it understands the difference between what is normal and what is a threat.

With your male Fox Terrier, I'd strongly suggest getting a female dog, whatever breed you get.

I'd also strongly suggest that you check out Doberman Rescues. It can give you a great opportunity to find the perfect dog; you'll know what kind of temperament the dog has, how big it's going to be (there's a wide disparity in size among Dobermans today), and you don't have to go through all the hard puppy stuff. That's how my sister got her female German Shepherd, who is a perfect match with the male Jack Russell they have. The German Shepherd keeps the Jack Russell in line, won't let him be alone with the kids (he bit one once - but he was fully justified), and just generally keeps things orderly.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Active Pup

Hi,I'm also new to this site,and I just read your message about dobermans & german short hairs.Well I currently own a 2 year old female German short haired pointer.She has never been good with children, but is very protective of our property.Shes an excellent guard dog,she has never been around children or other people out of the family.I wouldn't trust her around children,because of the fact she bit a little boy on the butt a year ago.She stays at home in the yard,very good dog doesn't run off.But won't let anyone she doesn't know in our yard.I also love dobbies,I've never owned one,so I'm not real sure how they'd be around children.I think any breed would be good with kids if socilized with them at an very early age and trained properly.hope this helps you decide...
Old 09-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Active Pup

I suspect you'd be happier with a Dobie. GSHPs are too hyper for many people, and from what I've experienced, also can be very destructive. They need the vigorous exercise that only an all-day hunt would provide. Most people I've known who had them say they are too much of a handful for the average family.

Dobies on the other hand can be very individual. More so than many other breeds. Lots of Dobies are just big wimps - not good watch or guard dogs at all. You need to be sure the parents of your potential pup have guard dog temperaments, but are also good with kids. An intelligent dog can tell the difference between a harmless kid and a dangerous or potentially dangerous adult. Some Dobies are not much in the brains department - and hyper. Another good reason to check out the parents. Some Dobies can be TOO good at guarding, and are not trustworthy with other dogs and kids. Do your homework - make sure the temperament on your dog is guaranteed as well as the health.

Incidentially, its not true about Dobies being independent and not wanting much to do with other dogs. I've owned them and had friends and clients (used to work as a vet tech) who had Dobies that are very social with other dogs. It seems to be the norm for the breed, so I don't know why someone would tell you differently, unless they happened to own an unusually solitary dog. As with everything, do your research, and if you find a dog with the right temperament for your family, you're on the right track.

Randi
Old 09-05-2004, 01:43 AM
Ass Lover

My limited experience with pure breds has had me cross paths with many GSHPs, mainly because I compete in Shotgun comps and know a bunch of hunters (which I'm not). They are indeed pretty hyper for your average family setting, and need a lot of outdoor time.

Thats said, watching a good pointer work is cool as heck. My best friend when I lived in Cali had a GSHP named Ruger who I dogsat pretty frequently. It was fun watching him point at everything: frogs, turtles, snakes, and even grasshoppers! I'm sure that pointer "purists" would hate that, but i thought it was fun.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:38 PM
FaceZ Of DeaTh

Get a doberman. I dont have a pareticular reason except the fact that i liek dobermans. They are extremely smart and i like big guard dogs. My parents had one when i was little and it new like 30 tricks. It also was realy protective.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Alpha Dog

Dobies are great dogs. I can't wait to get a bigger yard so I can get another one.

Chazhound
Old 09-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Active Pup

Well i have no real advice as to which dog you get but i will say this......we recently tried to get a rehomed dog here in the UK and they advised us against it if we had a young child in the house,our son is 3 by the way,so this is why we ended up with a new puppy instead.Just a thought if you were going to go that way,they told us it was very hard to place a 'home' dog with small kids due to not knowing the dogs full history.
Hubby had a Dobie before we met and by all accounts he was a superb dog who was very well adjusted and excellant with people.
Good luck with whatever you choose.....especially if you have a baby to look after too

Kerry
Old 09-10-2004, 02:41 AM
Top Dog

I've know a number of Dobes over the years and all were great with any kids, even the ones that didn't live there, but came over to play. I would recommend a Dobe over a GSP, they seem to be wall bouncers, and may be a little too much.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Puppy Dog

Well, I'm a little biased since I have the most amazing GSP that I could ever ask for. That doesn't mean that she isn't a handful at times.... but I've learned many things about this breed. They are EXTREMELY affectionate. They love all of their owners equally. And if possible would just cuddle all day just to be close to a human. But, when that's not possible, yes, they want to run and play and point! They certainly need 2 walks or 2 runs a day. If you have a yard for them to play in then that's great. They are active as are dobermans. As long as they get activity in their schedules, they they won't be destructive and they'll leave you alone. If socialized with other dogs and children early on, their great. My dog never barks at other dogs. She loves to play with any dog she meets! They're great guard dogs and yes they're protective when someone new comes to the house, but in my opinion I'd rather that my dog be a bit reserved with someone she doesn't know. All in all, they're great, fun, affectionate, trainable, intelligent, funny and beautifully elegant dogs. So many people compliment her on her gorgeous coat!!! Get a GSP!!