Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-11-2008, 05:13 AM
moman

Default Free run compaired to schedule

We have are dogs on free run dog food where they can eat anytime they want to. I was wondering if that is better than putting them on a schedule. I'm kinda thinking that if they eat when we eat they won't beg when we eat alto if the wife and I are out then they go hungry till we get home. Any input would be greatly helpful. Thanks to all about the Blue Buffalo advice.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Here I have a pickey cocker and a piggy cocker. Free feeding wouldn't work as Smudge would eat to the point of obesity, and Cider might choose not to eat. Depends upon your dogs if you think they can handle it. As a breed many cockers are foody and seem to have unending tummys. (they tell the world you never ever feed them )

I find even my less foody one tries to beg. It can be more of a training issue, (I have dog beds beside the table, they lay on them at meals so they can't beg) than how much they've eaten in a day actually satisfying them so they wouldn't beg.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-11-2008, 09:21 AM
<--------Orson

I agree with Mafia about the begging.

I don't think it's a hunger issue, and it will probably make no difference at all when/how you feed them (free or scheduled) even if you scheduled them to eat at the same time you sat down..........they could woof their food and then come to beg, or leave their food for later.

If you are concerned about the begging, I would start by not letting them enter where you are dining. Use a baby gate, door, or whatever you have to create a boundary and break the begging habit.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:07 PM
just call me Nilly

I've never free fed and don't totally agree with it to be honest. With free feeding, it's more difficult to tell if your dog is off their food, not eating as much or with as much gusto as normal, which is a sure sign that they are under the weather.

Also I feel it's much healthier to have scheduled breaks between meals, to let the digestive system fully process each meal before introducing another. Dogs are carnivores, which are not grazing animals by nature. They eat when food is available, then fast when it is not.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 10-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Top Dog

If your dog does not get fat then I suppose it is alright to free feed, I would not do it for many reasons. The main one would be what VanillaSugar said, I'd like to be able to tell if they are eating as much as usual. If you have one dog telling that might not be hard, but if you have multiples you wouldn't know who is eating how much. The other reason is that I use food as a training reward, unless you have a SUPER food motivated dog you might have a problem training if the dog is constantly full or may have eaten recently.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

I have never done it as at one time I had too many dogs . Also , I like to add water to dry food as I've never had dogs who drank alot . Besides , my dogs always loved their " Supper Time " . It's a fun time for both of us .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/