Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default Need suggestions for new food

OK right now we feed Beezer and Belle "Solid Gold Millennia" and this food has been working well for them....

HOWEVER.... The only place around here we can find it has raised the price over TEN dollars in the past year. So for a food we were once paying $38 for... we now are paying $50 for.

I want my dogs to have a good food but this is ridiculous. I'm not going to continue to allow this company to rob us blind by jacking up their prices all the time.

SOOOO.... throw out some food names that would be good kibble for them.

I know of one place to get Innova and I checked the website for locations but it's not really at ALL convenient to get. so unless nessecary that is out.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-27-2008, 02:23 AM
Taxiderpy

Maybe TOTW? We just started Strider on it and he loves it (the prairie formula). He finished up a bag of wellness core, and despite the raw we are supplementing him with he still managed to lose some weight and get a dry coat on it.

What kinds of protein do your dogs do best on?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:31 AM
just call me Nilly

Wellness Core is really nice, but pricey. You'll pay more for it than you have been for Mmillenia.

Honestly, my vote is Innova. I know not every food is right for every dog, but I love Innova, and would feed it in a heartbeat if I was feeding kibble

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 09-27-2008, 11:21 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Well, Im a sucker for Natura's foods, so I always suggest them. They don't work for every dog, but it's worth a try. If I wasn't gungho on not feeding grains, I'm sure the dogs would still be on regular Innova.

I think you'll find that all kibble has gone up. We pay nearly $50 for EVO, but there is no way I would pay $50 for Solid Gold. The cat eats TOTW and I may try it for the two that are kibble-fed. I like the ingredients and such in Orijen, but I've never tried it for the dogs.

Also, I like Natura's buy 12, get the 13th free. It takes awhile to get there, but it's a nice giveback.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm All Ears

Is Wellness CORE really that expensive there? It's like $10 cheaper than Innova here. I looked at it, but I'm too pleased with the EVO to try a switch.

I am also a big Natura fan, I've never been more pleased with any kibble I've tried the dogs on. We've used California Natural, Innova, Innova Senior, and EVO RM.

Last edited by Laurelin; 09-27-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:44 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Is Wellness CORE really that expensive there? It's like $10 cheaper than Innova here. I looked at it, but I'm too pleased with the EVO to try a switch.

I am also a big Natura fan, I've never been more pleased with any kibble I've tried the dogs on. We've used California Natural, Innova, Innova Senior, and EVO RM.
$73 for a 26lb bag. Innova is $56 for a 30lb and EVO is $66. Wellness as a rule is VERY expensive here, and CORE is the most expensive of their foods.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
$73 for a 26lb bag. Innova is $56 for a 30lb and EVO is $66. Wellness as a rule is VERY expensive here, and CORE is the most expensive of their foods.
Wow! I have a small dog so I only get the 6.6 lb bag and it lasts a couple months. It's about $19 for EVO and $10-11 for CORE here. At least at my feed store, but everything there seems very cheap.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Ditto about the Natura. EVO is my favorite and next time I get dog food I plan on trying EVO RM.
Canidae used to be decent but I wouldn't go in that direction anymore.
Here's the link for the store locator for TOTW. My dogs love it and it's a good food. They do better on the EVO but every dog is different.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Top Dog

All foods around here took about a $5 a bag increase in the last month. I recently switched from Timberwolf Chicken to Fromme Chicken because the TW went up so much only to find the Fromme going up the same amount a month later.

I am mixing the Fromme 70% with Euk Large Breed Puppy 30%. Don't ask. Never thought I'd do this, but we use it on our puppies for the Gluscamine and Chondriton...and it does grow coat. A new discovery.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Herd. Protect. Love.

There's really nowhere to run to get away from the increasing cost of dog food. It parallels the increases in food, fuel, etc and will only get worse before it levels off (hope down the road the dollar will strengthen again).

I homecook and I responded to increasing costs the same way many dog food companies are doing - by using cheaper ingredients. Only mine are still all human-grade. :lol:

Taste of the Wild gets the thumbs up from my gang. Diamond Naturals has a beef and barley flavor if I'm not mistaken. The Naturals line has never been affected by any recalls. Diamond is sold at many feed stores as well as some pet supply stores.