Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Default My Smart Puppy

Anyone heard of this book? My fiance is at a dog grooming convention with his mom (from Thursday until tomorrow) and he just texted me saying that he went to a seminar by these people and is interested in the training methods. I looked at the website but I don't see where it says what style of training this is.

http://www.mysmartpuppy.com/about.html
Old 09-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Top Dog

I don't know that book, but I have read Good Dogs, Great Owners by the same author. Overall it's a decent book, if I remember correctly he uses a lot of luring and treating, though no clicking. Also uses choke collars, I believe, and the corrections are minimal. Still, I think there are probably a lot of better books out there... If you're looking for a puppy book, I'd go with Ian Dunbar's stuff.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I don't know that book, but I have read Good Dogs, Great Owners by the same author. Overall it's a decent book, if I remember correctly he uses a lot of luring and treating, though no clicking. Also uses choke collars, I believe, and the corrections are minimal. Still, I think there are probably a lot of better books out there... If you're looking for a puppy book, I'd go with Ian Dunbar's stuff.
Thanks, I'm not looking for anything in particular really and I am most into clicker training personally. It's just that my fiance saw that seminar and now wants to get the books and try some of the techniques and I was just trying to figure out what the heck it was. Based on what you said, I'd still prefer clicker training
Old 09-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Top Dog

It was YEARS ago too, when I read the book, they could've updated it a bit in more recent editions or whatever. Would love to hear if anyone else's read it.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

I have this book and I like it a lot. Lots of helpful tips and good layout. I'd reccommend it.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Big Dog

I have this book. It came with a dvd. I think it's pretty good although I have to admit I haven't put much of it into practice. I have How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With or something like that also.

Smart Puppy has a forum as well.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Top Dog

Thanks