Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Question when does a dog first go into heat?

When will a female dog first go into heat? My female is almost six months old (will be spayed soon) and I was just wondering when is about the first time they will go into heat? She's been sort of blah lately and I was wondering if maybe she was about to go into heat and that is why she's been sick. What are signs (besides the obvious) that they will be going into heat?

Old 07-26-2005, 03:49 PM
a.k.a: agilitydobemom

Usually between six and eight months depending on the breed and the care they have recieved if you plan to get her fixed just remember that they will not do it if she is in heat

Usually the only sign is the vagina starting to swell sometimes a mood change but not always

He sends the special ones to us when we are least expecting them
Old 07-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Rusty but Trusty

she will be spayed in a few weeks. My work lost my paycheck so I have to wait until they issue out another one and I won't get my missing paycheck and my other paycheck I should get next week for two more weeks! So I will get her done then.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Rusty but Trusty

oh yeah she's a black lab (she's in my siggy). Do larger breed dogs go into heat earlier than smaller breeds (or vice versa)?

Old 07-26-2005, 04:12 PM
My pets love me they do

Not really just all depends and the first heat is hard to determine. just keep an eye on her you will see the spotting and she will have a swollen vaginal area. Very wise decision on getting her fixed, responsible owner

Old 07-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

They can come into season anywhere from six months to a year. The larger breeds usually come in later. If she is close to coming in, you will notice that her vulva will swell slightly.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:15 PM
I W A L R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogsLoveMe
Very wise decision on getting her fixed, responsible owner
Yes!!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Rusty but Trusty

we have TOO many dogs right now and I don't think I could deal with anymore puppies! I've had my share of puppies for three lifetimes I think (LOL). We just don't have the money or time for puppies we figure it's best to spend the $100 to get her fixed than the THOUSANDS of dollars for c-sections or puppy emergencies and puppy shots. Plus I want her to live a long and healthy life and if spaying helps with that then I'm ALL for it.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

Julie...you are right, with everything you are tackling right now I promise you you don't want to deal with heat cycles and all that comes with an intact female. You are smart and responsible to have her spayed, not to mention it will give you much less to worry about!!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
Julie...you are right, with everything you are tackling right now I promise you you don't want to deal with heat cycles and all that comes with an intact female. You are smart and responsible to have her spayed, not to mention it will give you much less to worry about!!
amen to that! The less things I have to worry about right now the better. It'll keep me from losing my sanity .