Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Walks into Mordor

Default Anybody NOT recommend their breed?

I was thinking about this the other day. Zeus is a sweet, lovely dog. I never hesitate to recommend blackmouth curs as a great choice of dog.

But catahoulas on the other hand....I dunno. As much as I love Voodoo, and as wonderful a dog as he has grown into, I really, REALLY hesitate recommending this breed to people. Even when you know what you're getting into, they are such a challenging breed to raise. Besides, who in their right mind would want to deal with a Chaos Demon anyway?

Anybody else not really recommend their breed?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:08 PM
RedyreRottweilers

There are many people and many times I do not recommend a Rottweiler to people, as much as I love them.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Yup. I wouldn't suggest a malinois to someone unless they were experienced with drive and energy and prepared to do something active with the dog.

I also tend to shy away from recommending pemmies. They can be great pets, but there are still a lot of working lines in the breed and some of them can be quite a challenge. They are very cunning, they tend to be mouthy, they get bored easily and when a corgi gets bored, they get creative in some less than desirable ways. Aggression is not uncommon in the breed.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I wouldn't recommend a GSD to a first time dog owner, nor a JRT or Border Collie. Some of them make really great pets, but unless you know exactly what you are getting into with them, then I usually don't recommend them. Especially because of the working lines. You tend to see a lot of working line Aussies around here especially, but they could, given the right training, be great house pets, the potential to screw up is high.

If they are dedicated to it, yeah it could work, but if not, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Mostly though, when people ask me for a breed recommendation (which happens a lot) I get a feel on what they are expecting out of a dog, whether they have dogs at home or not, and then what they are looking to spend on a pup or adult dog, and get their email address to send them some good breeder websites, as well as dogs and puppies that are in rescue that I think will fit them. It's worked out well several times now.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Water Junkie

Yes, I don't recommend a Border Collie or Aussies to, almost, 98% of the people I know.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l

Last edited by Lizmo; 08-13-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Yes, I don't recommend a Border Collie or Aussies to, almost, 98% of the people I know.
Actually, make that 100% of the people I know here in my town.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Your Mom

I don't recommend Alapahas to most people. They are a high energy, high drive dog with natural protective tendencies. Though definitely not the most difficult breed out there, I hesitate recommending them for people who have never owned a difficult breed before.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 08-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Couch Pototoe City

I would not recommend a Borzoi. They like a quiet calm life. Gentle touch and do not care for chaos. They need a " tuned in " owner as a bark is rare. How my dogs tell me someone is here is to pace and look. A casual glance means something. They do not like boisterious other dogs or even people. A friend of mine talks loud, and they literally leave the room when she comes.. They are not a dog to fawn over a stranger. Not shy- just not fawn..
Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
I would not recommend a Borzoi. They like a quiet calm life. Gentle touch and do not care for chaos. They need a " tuned in " owner as a bark is rare. How my dogs tell me someone is here is to pace and look. A casual glance means something. They do not like boisterious other dogs or even people. A friend of mine talks loud, and they literally leave the room when she comes.. They are not a dog to fawn over a stranger. Not shy- just not fawn..
haha, they sound just like me! I dont' like loud people either... I keep my phone on vibrate bc THAT is even too much noise for me.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Maybe it's just the breeds that I have, but yeah, I *DO* recommend collies to people. I think they're a fantastic choice for someone who wants a moderately active herding breed. For a family that has fallen in love with the looks of the Aussie but doesn't have the knowlege or ability to deal with their training and energy needs? A collie can be a GREAT choice.

In the case of the spitz, I *DO* promote them heavily, but generally to other dog people. I think they are going to be a VERY competitive breed in performance as they get more popular. I also promote them somewhat to pet people (but tend to send folks to Pom rescue more often, as there just aren't tahat many spitz breeders out there.) They're big enough to be a bit more durable than Poms and some of the toys with kids, but small enough to be a reasonable pet in almost any living situation. They're energetic but not horribly so- they really DO have the ability to settle.

I'm much more cautious about the Cardis. They can just be so darn hard-headed, and a badly-trained spitz (or collie) is just bratty- a badly trained Cardi can be a menace.

Corgipower, I know we've differed on this before, but I really don't believe there are any 'working' lines of Pems left. That's generally a fallacy promoted by people who live on a farm and have Pems, not people who actually work them on stock or critter with them.

All three of the breeds I'm involved in ahve their drawbacks. That's true for any breed. But I think that collies are possibly one of the MOST underrated family dogs out there- yeah, they need some grooming, but nothing horrible, certainly not any more than a show-bred Aussie!- and the smooths are readily available. The Spitz can be bratty, but frankly, not any more so than your average spoiled toy dog, and the limited number of breeders means that pet owners WILL get screened and educated prior to purchase. The Cardis are in a similar situation (although it's sort of scary how many BYBs there are compared to when I got my first Cardi in 2001.)