Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

Default My new neighbor

Well, I've had a new one next door for about 4 days, I finally got to meet her. I've been sleuthing from the window. She's a large pitt.... I don't know my pitts, but she's the size of a boxer and her jaws are Huge!!!! I met her today as the owner took her for a walk and I went out. He " rescued" her, he says. Has her with a 4" leather studded collar chained to a dog house... the chain could pull a Mack truck.!!! It's about 6 feet long. She looks like she's has alot of litters or may be pregnant again. She was loving with me, but owner says she is VERY aggressive to all dogs. I've noticed her bothered by flies and they were all over her....he said he was going to give her a bath. Question....can I suggest something for the flies ??? She does have water, doesn't bark much but gets little attention. I'm so sad for her !!! He sounded like he might be bringing in another white rescue pitt. One she tried to kill when they found the two. Grammy's upset !! I'm not afraid of her now ( though the space between her jaws has to be 7 " ! ) I just hate to see a dog tied up like this. The neighbors are private folks , so I don't feel I can say much. Guess I just have to keep watch....I see her from my 'puter room window....so watch her a lot !!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:29 PM
stirder

there are a lot of flie sprays for horses, I used to use them on the dogs when we had horses so that the dogs could go to the barn with me without getting chewed up. sadly there isnt much you can do. except possibly find out what rescue he got her through and send them photos of the dogs condition. they may have had a contract stating that the dog could not be an outdoor dog, and could confiscate her. or atleast maybe they wouldnt approve him for a 2nd one.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Top Dog

It was a word of mouth rescue.....they just dump them here when they have been through there fighting days. She has alot of old scars on her legs. I'll mention the horse spray... we used it on horses too...safe for dogs ???
Old 07-11-2005, 07:40 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

flies will chew the hide off of her..the female fly bites hard and it hurts a great deal..she needs the extra blood to make her eggs..there are special sprays FOR DOGS that you can buy..as well as a pink bubblegum colored fly wipe that can be put on the ears and the other places flies like to bite..then you get a powder that is yellow..starts with an m but i don't remember exactly what it is called..but you put it out where the dog cannot get to to draw the flies and poison them.,.,at least that is what old boss did..i can promise that the fly wipe purchased from the vet comes in a round container, fly wipe works like a charm but needs to be applied liberally and often..fyi..don't bother with bug zappers..the only way a flie dies in one of those is if he flies into it by accident...i wouldn't use a horse product on a dog, but that is just me..and finally in the olden days they used pine tar..dipped a stick in it and wiped the pine tar across the top of the dogs ears that isn't what i am suggesting..just an interesting fact..the pine tar hardened and formed a shell allowing the ear to heal underneath and kept the flies from making it worse..i have seen ears chewed so bad they were bulbous with scars..the flies also bite legs, tails and the bridge of noses..tell you neighbor to keep all dung up and follow those things if he is going to trap the dog to a chain where she can't get away from the flies...what a lousy life for her.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Felurian

Not much of a rescue for the poor grrrl, is it? Flies can carry pink eye, which can blind an animal.

Maybe a local Pit rescue needs to find out about her plight . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

This breaks my heart, as this is the first I've heard if yet ANOTHER pitt coming into my Mom's neighbor's. I'm beginning to wonder if they're part of a pitt ring for fighting. They used to have two other that all of a sudden were gone. Now they've got two more again? Sounds to me like they're circulating them until it's "their time". Makes me sick. Grammy doesn't live in the safest of neighborhoods. I think these neighbors could be up to no good...
Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

there are 5 within a block of my house and two blocks away are four outside in military dog houses..i don't walk Vic past that way anymore cause it just makes me want to cry. Two i know of have good homes..the others belong to idiots.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Top Dog

I'm being careful ... Amy there's only the one now. Renee, at this point I'm carefully watching......he calls her Momma and seems good with her. But, it's now raining and I hate to think of her out there when Chip is cuddled in bed with me. I'm just glad I met her, so I can give her some TLC when they aren't home!! I suggested today about having her meet Chip to help socialize her...... he didn't seem interested. They have a 2 year old girl and he said Momma's good with her.....yet I never see her in the house. I just don't know how people can have a dog and keep them chained....whats the sense !!?? I just hope she isn't pregnant !
Old 07-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Be careful with the dog. Who knows what kind of life it had and is having now. I have a pit mix and I love pits but just please be careful I don't want anything bad to happen to anyone.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Love my pets

It is sad to see someone rescue a dog and not give it the life it deserves.