Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Big Dog

Default My Yorkie tried to take on an Alaskan Husky yesterday!

My Yorkie has a small size complex, he doesnt know he weighs only 7 lbs. Every time a big dogs goes by he wants to start a fight, I guess thats why I named him Cid Vicious, haha.

Anyway, I ALWAYS walk my dogs on a leash and yesterday morning I let my dogs out in the garage with me for two seconds to say goodbye to my mother-n-law. next thing you know Cid tore out of the garage and down the street wanting to take on the Husky. The owner of the Husky had to kick at Cid to keep him out of "mouth" range so the Husky wouldnt snapp him up. Small dogs he loves but when a big dog comes along he become aggressive, anyone else have this problem with small breeds?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Top Dog

I actually have a story that is similar to this, but I was on the other end with the big dog. I have a golden retreiver mix and he is at about 65 pounds right now. I was walking him on his leash down the street and all of the suddent his cute little yorkie comes running at us. (But she was not barking), my dog actually ran from this little tiny 5 pound dog. (what a wimp - ) I am pretty sure she just wanted to play though. I know it is not really the same, but I figured it was still a funny story. I did used to have a West Highland White Terrier and he was the same way. He had little man's syndrome. He would sit on the couch and stare out the window and bark at everything that came by, especially big dogs.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena
I would be very grateful that nothing happened to Cid. I never owned a small bred myself, but I have frequently been involved in situations where a tiny little dog decides that he will take on my dogs. While I can forgive if this happens by accident I have no tolerance for the owners of these small dogs who sit there chuckling over this type of behavior.

I completely agree. I have an extremely aggressive Chihuahua and a sweet and harmless Pit Bull...I find it quite dissapointing that many small dog owners laugh it off if their dog is aggressive and trying to jump out at big dogs. This also happens when my Chi gets roudy around larger dogs..people will laugh it off, but if my Pit was to growl at someone everyone would probably insist on putting the dog to sleep.

Also, if the larger dog attacks the smaller one, guess who always gets blamed? I believe you should look into some training if he's extremely animal aggressive. I can see where you're coming from since small dogs possess animal aggression far more than larger ones and some of them can really be a handful at times. However, don't let your dog get into those kinds of situations because one day it won't be anything to laugh about and the person that has the large dog will end up taking the blame..not to mention the reputation of their breed (depending one what kind of dog they have) will be damaged that much more because your small dog decided to have another fit.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just saying every responsible dog owner should make sure their dogs behave properly and don't get into risky and unneccesary situations.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:44 PM
Dogs Made Easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just saying every responsible dog owner should make sure their dogs behave properly and don't get into risky and unneccesary situations.
!! APPLAUSE !!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Active Pup

My dog has this problem, but only when he runs outside the yard. Wether it's cats, dogs or people, he always barks and wants to be agressive towards them, but never when he meets new people/pets inside the house or around the yard.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Ahh sorry..yes I meant shredhead...how did you get your gif to work so well..it looks like you video taped it or something..very impressive.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Dog Spoiler

Well I video taped my dogs and captured the video on to my computer. I than took still frame captures ever split second or so. I than used a animation program to make them all work together.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Alpha Dog

I can't count the times I have had to keep little dogs from attaching my dobie. But we grew up with six little dogs who were scareless. Owners always have to be on their toes when mixing big and little dogs.

Chazhound
Old 08-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazhound
I can't count the times I have had to keep little dogs from attaching my dobie. But we grew up with six little dogs who were scareless. Owners always have to be on their toes when mixing big and little dogs.

Chazhound
u have a or have had a dog named dobie??? what breed was it??
Old 08-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Felurian

I've had all kinds of problems with little dogs being ridiculously aggressive toward my big dogs, but fortunately (for them), my dogs wouldn't deign to notice them.

I did have a toy Fox Terrier when I was a kid, and she went after everything! Mickey was eight pounds of unmitigated nerve. We just had to try to make sure she was under control at all times. Of course, when we had problems with neighbor's dogs digging under the fence it was a whole different story. Mickey would wait until they got halfway through, then attack them when they couldn't move. She stopped that problem on her own.