Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-27-2005, 03:17 AM
Staffie Mad

Exclamation Next Door neighbour...AHHHH

I need some advice. I have recently installed a dog flap in my back door so that when I am in work shadow can go out into the back yard if she wants, rather than stay locked in my stuffy kitchen. I come home every lunch time to see her, but its for the times when I'm not there. (My garden is completely enclosed, by a 3-5ft wall all round, and I've tried as best as I can to amke it completely puppy proof.)

Yesterday I was talking to my next door neighbour who says she said that every day, her and her little boy play with shadow?? The little boy was quite happy to say that he throws a ball for her, and his mom says if she ever see shadows water bowl is empty she fills it with her hose pipe (I fill shadows outside bowl with fresh water ever day, but she has this annoying habit of picking up her outside water bowl and spilling the contents everywhere!!) I have no problem with her looking over the wall and giving her water.

They were havin a bbq at the time I was speaking to her and she said why dont I pop over the wall and then bring shadow over to see the kids. Ok I thought, so I clambered over te wall, quite some effort i must say, and my partner passed shadow over to me. She had a little run around, the kids all had a stroke of her, then she started going in the house, getting a bit excited, and the people at the bbq wanted to chuck her in the paddling pool! I was like "no way, time to go", I said my goodbye's and politely left.

My problem is, that my next door neighbour has offered to look after shadow when I'm in work. Thing is I'm really not comfortable doing this, shadow is still quite nippy and she has 2 small children, and I'm concerned she'll bite them, not nastily, but playfully, but it still hurts. I told my neighbour this and she was like "dont worry, thats not a problem, we wont mind that", also shadow is still only 11 weeks, and she still has a condition that the vets still haven't been able to diagnose (see my previous posts), also we all have different ways of training dogs, and I wont be able to control what is going on if my neighbour is dog sitting her.

My worry is that although I have told my neighbour, "no its ok, shadow will be fine for the moment, maybe when she's a bit older" I'm worried she's going to climb over the wall and take her, to look after her anyway, then just put her back once I'm due home from work. My next door neighbours sister-in-law has already told me (somewhat jokingly, though I cant be sure) "you better watch out, she may not be here when you come home, cos I'm gona steal her cos she's sooo beautiful!". What can I do?
Old 06-27-2005, 03:20 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I don't know what you can do, but it sounds like you need to be careful with them. Maybe they are just kidding, but it sounds a little....wierd. Like they might acctually try and steal your dog, so please be careful with them.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:35 AM
Top Dog

I don't blame you for being concerned. I don't think they would actually try to steal your dog but an overinvolved neighbor usually spells trouble. I would keep doing what you're doing, politely refusing her offers of "help". Keep stating that you and your dog are fine, her intervention is not needed. Hopefully, she will get the hint. Often times people like this are controllers and next thing you know, she's telling you how to run your life. If she keeps it up, you may have to go beyond polite refusals and be firm. Good luck, let us know how it works out!
Old 06-27-2005, 07:40 AM
Felurian

Yeah, that would make me nervous too. She might really mean well, but she is being way too pushy. I'd try telling her that if something were to happen your homeowners' insurance wouldn't cover it and would be cancelled - which is entirely possible! Thank her for filling the water bowl and suggest she go to the local animal shelter and see about getting a pup of their own for her kids. And tell her that Shadow is under veterinary care right now and shouldn't be over-excited.

Good luck! I hope you don't end up having to keep Shadow in completely while you're gone during the day, but it might be best all around . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Top Dog

i think u need to explain to her why. telling her that u want to raise your dog YOUR way and this would only cause confusion with 2 differrent techniques and 2 diff. people to raise a dog. maybe she will then understand. good luck. let us know how it turns out
Old 06-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Felurian

Oh, and another thing to point out is that you don't want Shadow to get the idea that it's okay to leave his own yard. At some point that fence is going to be no real obstacle to a mature Staffie! He needs to learn right now that the only time he goes out of his yard is in your company on his leash . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Staffie Mad

Renee, I completely agree, Shadow right now is way too small to get over my wall, but if my neighbour leans over and picks her up?? I must admit, it would probably be quite a struggle, to lift sahdow over the wall, cos its quite high. Problem is because she's so friendly she'll go straight over to the bottom of the wall to see my neighbour. I was thinking of adding a fence to the top of my wall, but Im worried it'll be like adding a big neon flashing sign sayin "I dont want you near my dog, leave us alone!!" I worry too much about what other people think of me, thats my problem.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Felurian

Add the fence and just tell your neighbor that you're doing it so that Shadow won't be able to get over it when she's grown. An adult Staffie is an athletic jumper! And even picking Shadow up and lifting her over the wall now will give her the idea later on that it's perfectly okay to go over the wall - not something you want her to figure out . . .

As long as you let your neighbor know you appreciate her kindness in filling Shadow's bowl and just explain those other points she shouldn't take offense if she's even marginally rational. If she's not, better you find out now than later!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Big Dog

Another thing to consider. Is your dog "micro chipped" ? If not I'd recommend that you have it done, just check with your vet. We all know that most people are joking regarding "stealing" that adorable pup, but it does happen. With a chip you have a positive record of her belonging to you if she should ever turn up "missing" also if she ever gets out or lost there will be a record as to where she belongs.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

I would definitely add some height to the fence, but would probably leave the dog inside when you are gone too. But I admit I am extremely paranoid about people stealing my dogs.