Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Felurian

Thumbs down Tennessee Looks to Join the Ranks of BSL States

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....8-352d9ca8df12

Unconscionable . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Walks into Mordor

Hmmm. Link didn't work for me...
Old 01-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
(a) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) "Own" means to harbor, keep or exercise control over the dog, and "owner" means a person who, at the time of the offense, regularly harbors, keeps or exercises control over the dog;

(2) "Pit bull dog" means any pit bull terrier; and

(3) "Pit bull terrier" means any American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog or American Staffordshire terrier breed of dog or any mixed breed of dog which contains as fifty percent (50%) of its breeding the breed of American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog or American Staffordshire terrier, so as to be identifiable as partially of the breed American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog or American Staffordshire terrier.

(b) It is an offense for any person to knowingly own a pit bull dog in this state.

(c) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(d) In addition to the penalty imposed in subsection (c), the court making the sentencing determination for a person convicted under this section shall order the person convicted to surrender custody and forfeit the pit bull dog or pit bull dogs if the person convicted is the owner of the pit bull dog or dogs. Custody shall be given to a humane society incorporated under the laws of this state.

(e) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit prosecution under any other provision of law.
I hope they're ready for the mass increase of dogs surrendered, the sudden drop off of licenses, the mass exodus as residents move to other states.

Anyone driving through the state with a pit bull would qualify as well.

The biggest problem though is that they don't define how they plan on identifying a American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog or American Staffordshire terrier. They could just point to a dog and say ~ yup!! That's a pit bull because I think he's a pit bull. And the way these laws work out is that the owner then has to prove that the dog isn't. Very unconstitutional.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 01-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Felurian

Supposedly, from the last reports, the bill will NOT go to the legislature as written. It's been sent to committee to be rewritten as a "dangerous dog" statute rather than breed specific.

There's no breed as dangerous as a politician . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
(1) "Own" means to harbor, keep or exercise control over the dog, and "owner" means a person who, at the time of the offense, regularly harbors, keeps or exercises control over the dog;
Renee, please correct me if I am wrong.. but say I was the neighborhood dog walker or dog-sitter and I had a pittie "under my control" for regular periods of time. Does that mean I could be considered the owner?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Renee, please correct me if I am wrong.. but say I was the neighborhood dog walker or dog-sitter and I had a pittie "under my control" for regular periods of time. Does that mean I could be considered the owner?
Welcome to the world of stautory interpretation . . . and then even more wonderful world of the interpretation of badly written statutes!

I would say no, actually, not because of the wording, but because "owner" is generally an commonly understood term. The "under control" really is to net people who say . . ."He's not my dog, I've just been feeding him for 5 years!" However, you never know with cops and ACs and even judges . .. if I lived there and took care of other people's dogs I'd probably have to refuse to handle bullies for my own protection.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

I've written several letters and mass emailed them out when I heard about this on another site.

My response? "We appreciate your concern, but as you are not a resident of Tennessee........" What morons!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Felurian

Mia . . . send 'em to me and I'll send 'em from my address

Kinda shortsighted of the idiots, considering Tennessee garners a great deal of revenue from tourism . . . and people moving here from other states.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-26-2008, 10:27 PM
We are Home.

I cant see that passing in Tennessee I mean come on look at Cooks County it wont have a population after this LOL.

But seriously Tennessee has ALOT of APBT people living there I doubt if it is voted on that it will pass. I hope they do change it to Dangerous Dog and make it clearly defined as a dog that has exibited dangerous behavior.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 01-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

Today, a white boxer came into the Grooming salon where I work-- and it made me think a little. He looks like an American bulldog, but with a docked tail, and a little boxier build.

I'll bet that if you docked all AMBulldogs' and Pit Bull's Tails, and even cropped their ears, too, They could all pass as 'boxers', or at least the majority of them.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!