Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Active Pup

Default My dog's first major (or minor?) wound... what do i do?

its about 1.5 - 2 inches long, a diagonal cut on her left front leg from a tile she encountered in the backyard. i already applied pressure and the bleeding stopped... i know the next step is to prevent infection. what do you guys usually put on wounds to prevent infection? do you leave it open or bandage it afterwards?

its nighttime here and no vets are open. shes going to see one first thing in the morning. im just seeing what i can do before then. help
Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Squishy face

I don't know if you've taken her to the vet already, but my vet has told me to flush wounds with peroxide before.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Well this is kind of late but yah you can do peroxide but it kills healthy tissue just as much as it disinfects. It's still better than nothing.

Can try neosporyin, that's some pretty good stuff. My vet swears by it and is convinced it can cure cancer lol (yes a hint of sarcasm there but you get the point).

Or just alcohol. It's a disinfectant.

If you have any chlorhex flush or anything like that you can use that too. Other than that just let the dog lick it. And when (if) you apply neosporin try to prevent her from licking it off. It's not really good to ingest.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown