Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Active Pup

Unhappy help

i want to get a rottwailer and i think its okay with my mom but where can i find a place wer they sell them i was lookin at these sites and they cost like more than 1,000 and if i tell my mom shell freak out and want another dog and i want a rottwailer can yall help me find a place
Old 07-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Greyhounds

I've heard that Rotties are great dogs. But, for any breed, I would definately look into adopting. Besides the obvious reason of saving their lives & not contributing to the overbreeding problem we currently have, there are huge benefits to you as well. Resue/adoption groups are cheaper, the dogs usually come vaccinated, possibly potty-trained, you can find different ages, they have lots of important info. on the breed and can offer you support after you take the dog home.

Give it some thought. There's lots of information out there. Good luck.

Jenny
Old 07-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Felurian

I'm strongly seconding Serena's post. Be absolutely sure that whatever breed of dog you choose is a good fit for you and your lifestyle. And I'll add that everyone should really examine their reasons for wanting any particular breed. You don't have to explain them to anyone, just examine them honestly in your own mind to make sure you want the particular kind of dog you are considering for all the right reasons.

That said, do check into adopting. There are rescue associations that specialize in different breeds, and the Rotties will have quite a few since they are a breed that is too often brought home for all the wrong reasons and end up being discarded. A rescue association will be able to help match you with a dog whose personality fits with yours as well.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Big Dog

i think that adoption is a great idea, definitely one that should be looked into. i'm personally not too much in favor of buying dogs from pet stores (big price tags for one reason, at least in the stores around us). i'd suggest looking in the newspaper ads if you haven't already. we got our first dog from a family who's dog had a litter and the same with our current dog as well. we also had a lab for a short time whose owners had just bought a new house close to the interstate and didn't want to have the risk of them getting loose, so they were giving their purebred labs away for free to a good home.

good luck in your search!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Active Pup

there are hundreds and hundreds of Rotties who need homes, check
out petfinder.org.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Are you dead yet?

OK, first, I would recommend rescue if you don't want to pay for a pup from a good breeder. With a rescue dog, you basically know what you're getting when you meet it.

Secondly, and don't take offense, a Rottweiler is a VERY powerful, dominant breed that will CONSTANTLY challenge you, and from your post it doesn't seem like you understand the temperament of the breed. Rottweilers need a job to do, to thrive and keep them level-headed. They're a true working dog, and definitely not an indoor house pet.

Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic dogs, but unless you're ready to make a lifetime commitment to TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING, (And I'm not just talking "sit, stay" type training.) and socializing a WORKING dog, I don't think a Rottie is for you.

If you are willing to make that commitment, and are prepared for a VERY rocky ride (particularly if you keep your male unneutered) then I wish you luck!

Last edited by RD; 08-05-2004 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Spelling