Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-15-2007, 02:10 AM
sbfish's Avatar
sbfish sbfish is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: california
Posts: 20
Angry Health Problem with Dog just purchased from Breeder

I apologize for the length of this post but I would really appreciate any feedback on how to handle the following problem. 2 weeks ago I purchased a 3 year old female vizsla from a nationally reputable breeder that I have bought a dog from before. The following day Haley was shaking and scratching her ears and making a wheezing sound. I immediately called the breeder and was reassured the dog was healthy that the ear shaking was due to having her ears cleaned before I picked her up and the sound was "snurgling." Long story short I took her to my vet and cytology report was positive for fungal ear infection. A couple days later I had to take her in the middle of the night to emergency CARE because she was scratching her ear raw. I returned to my vet the following day where she was sedated to have her ears washed and checked for foreign bodies. There were no foreign bodies but I found out today she tested positive for Pseudomonas. Vet bills are up to $700 as of today. Fortunately Haley is no longer in pain.

The breeder is unwilling to offer any financial compensation for the bills and would rather barter, providing me with another dog in the future or help me breed Haley (she has 8 pts). I am not wanting to barter. To make matters worse she rudely told me I should have called her and brought the dog to her vet (2 hours away) as vets in my town are more expensive, probably taking advantage of me, and her vet could have resolved the problem more effectively!?

I love this dog and she gets along really well with my 13 yr old vizsla. I don't want to return her but I am aware of the potential complications and ongoing costs with this diagnosis.

My questions are: 1) what type of compensation would be expected from a responsible and ethical breeder under these circumstances if I choose to keep her? 2) If the breeder is unwilling to do this what are some options I can pursue other than returning Haley?

Thank you for your time, Julie

Last edited by sbfish; 09-15-2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to add name
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-15-2007, 03:25 AM
Saje Saje is offline
Island dweller
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23,932
Default

She doesn't sound like a very good breeder. What does your contact say? A good breeder would have a health guarantee.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2007, 08:51 AM
RedyreRottweilers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje View Post
She doesn't sound like a very good breeder.
That is possible, but with all respect due to the OP, there are 2 sides to every story, and we have only heard one side.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-15-2007, 09:37 AM
sbfish's Avatar
sbfish sbfish is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: california
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje View Post
She doesn't sound like a very good breeder. What does your contact say? A good breeder would have a health guarantee.
She was in a hurry to get to an appointment and is going to mail me contract, so unfortunately I don't recall what the contract states.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2007, 08:49 AM
RedyreRottweilers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

This issue should have been resolved as to what was going to happen before you sought vet care and paid money for it. Apparently you tried that, and unfortunately it didn't work.

At this point any action you take is going to end up costing you more than the vet bills probably. If the breeder were going to stand behind the dog, you would not be here making this post.

If the bitch is better, I would say you have 2 choices, really. Zip your lip and move on, or return the bitch and get your money back.

Are you planning to finish her?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 AM
sbfish's Avatar
sbfish sbfish is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: california
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
Are you planning to finish her?
I have never shown a dog before, what is the advantage of finishing her?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2007, 08:54 AM
ToscasMom's Avatar
ToscasMom ToscasMom is offline
Harumph™©®
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mother Ship
Posts: 6,211
Default

I would take her to small claims court. See how she likes that.

You do not need a lawyer in court of claims. You present the information, she rebuts and the judge decides.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 AM
RedyreRottweilers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just a couple of comments. You have no contract. Better step VERY LIGHTLY until you do.

The advantage of finishing her is that she will carry the title of CH on the front of her name forever. Later when others do pedigree research, they will understand immediately that she was of a certain quality. It shows other breeders looking at current pedigrees who might be considering breedings of her relatives (sire, grand sires, uncles, aunts, etc) that the combination of her sire and dam produced at least one dog who was able to complete a CH title. The reason I would do it is I think it's a fun thing to do with my dog.

Hope you get the contract straightened out, but if I were you, unless and until you do, I would keep very quiet.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2007, 09:47 AM
RedyreRottweilers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Oh, and FWIW, no one would ever, under ANY circumstances, leave my home with any dog or puppy without a signed contract that has been reviewed carefully with the new owners. I also do not release any dogs or puppies without a current health certificate.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-15-2007, 09:54 AM
sbfish's Avatar
sbfish sbfish is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: california
Posts: 20
Default

The breeder initially didn't offer her for sale because she wanted to finish her and asked if I would be willing to bring her to a dog show(s) which will be occurring in my town, as well as leaving her name as owner of the dog until she finished. Because I trusted and respected her I had no objection. She also stated she'd be willing to help me if I wanted to breed her. I have no experience with breeding and though appealing I need to research whether this would be an option to pursue.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site