Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default did I neuter too early?

Elwood was neutered at 6 months and I went to another forum where they were appalled that I had neutered him TOO YOUNG! They said that males shouldn't be neutered until 18-24 months due to their growth. They told me that by neutering too early I have caused him growth plates to close and therefore he's subject too joint problems and he will not fill out as he should.

What is the right age to neuter, I was under the assumption as soon as their shots are done it's best to neuter/spay as soon as you can but is it best to wait. I always did it at 6 months for all the dogs because I thought the earlier the better.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I did both my guys at 6 months, didn't want the risk of puppies.

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I think it also really depends on the breed, but 18-24 months? That seems pretty long to me... I think with larger breeds it is better to wait until later, but still... two years? Hmm...

Auggie's breeder recommended he be a year, especially because he's an agility dog, but due to the possibility of him being crytorchid we did it at 8 months. We decided it was best to risk a slightly early neuter over the complications of an entangled testicle.

6 months is what all the vets around here tend to recommend or push for, but I've heard more than one person say closer to 1 year... I don't think you've made a horrible mistake though!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Top Dog

I have always heard 6 months as a standard for spaying and neutering. I have to get Sam spayed at 4 months. The place we adopted her from requires it. I have always heard that you neuter a male at 6 months so it's done before they hit peuberty so they won't hump stuff.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

If you want my honest opinion I would have waited till he was at least a year old. They do grow differently and the whole thing with the joint issues has been true in my home. My past two males were neutered at 6 months and both had joint issues at an early age. My male I just PTS in March had urethral sphincter issues basically incontinence at 10 years old and joint issues. IMO and some will agree, I won't ever neuter another male until I feel it is right for them. Caiza is a little over two and I'm on the fence about doing it now. I did show him a few times when he was younger and I am in the process of training him for Protection so he needs to hold on to his for awhile I wouldn't feel bad about the decision you made because you did what you thought was right. Vets aren't going to suggest you s/n at 18 to 24months because of the over-population problems and not everybody is "responsible" when it comes to owning an intact dog. Here is a great article: http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
Old 09-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Top Dog

It's not unusual for a larger breed dog to still be growing at 24 months. Maybe not taller, but they are still filling out and growing internally. We haven't neutered Gunnar yet for just that reason, though I'm not sure whether we will or not at this point.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:01 AM
overdogged

personally i think six months is fine for most dogs and most owners. i wouldn't worry about it.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Top Dog

My Bedlington was neutered at six months, and was sound, happy, and continent until organ failure kicked in a 15. While I'm sure the hormones do affect growth, it doesn't result in problems for every dog. I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Show Dog

6 months is a great age to get a pet dog done. The average person (perhaps not people on this forum - I am talking about average Joes) should NOT wait until a dog is 18-24 months before getting it fixed. What is the point? if the dog is not going to be shown or worked or whatever, it should be fixed ASAP.

Pet dogs should not remain intact.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 AM
IL Dog Freak

My vet doesn't start until 6 months and my male got my female pregnant when he was only 3 months.

The rescue I used to foster for fixed at 6 weeks, now that I feel is WAY too young.