Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-02-2005, 01:47 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default Alpha role

I was in my backyard raking (very tireing with the cast) when I saw a guy in the park playing with his lab off leash. Well the lab is running and grabbing the frisby the guy throws and I am thinking how cute. Then I see my moms friends kids who were coming back through the park to my house and the lab comes running full speed toward them. The guy starts yelling that the dog is friendly and won't bite, since they looked a bit frightened from the dog running at them. Well the guy starts screaming angrily to the dog calling it in a very angry tone. I was thinking that if I was the dog I wouldn't come to anyone screaming like that at me!
Anyways the dog finaly goes running back to the guy and he does a alpha role right there!!! I was very mad to see this! I guess I just don't think it's right for a person to do that to a dog. It doesn't make the dog want to come to you next time. And guess what! The guy lets the dog go and it runs straight away from the guy as fast as possible and doesn't come when called.
SO I was just a bit angry to see this and would never do that to my dogs! That poor lab looked maybe 1 or 2 yrs old
The worst part is when tmy moms friends kids come back they asked me why the guy did that and I explained the whole alpha role deal and why it isn't a good thing to do in my opinion and of course my dad came out and said that it's the best way to gain respect. He totally said that you will never gain an animals respect if it doesn't know who is boss and the only way to do that is to do the alpha role and give it a good wack when it mis-behaves!!
Got me thinking what happens to Chloe and Lucas when I'm not home
They are really well behaved though and he usually works days, but I know neither dogs like's my dad and never go up to him wagging tails. THey always look like they are cowering with tails tucked between their legs and ears back head towards ground looking like they are gonna get in trouble.
Is it really fair to put them in that kind of situation?
Even though I love them and do all I can to keep them happy, if my dad is doing these things is it right for me to keep them here?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:53 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

BAbyBlue i dont' know what to say, im sorry. I am sure your dogs know more than u think they do..hopefully they too can keep a low profile until u are around. Dogs are pretty good at things like that. Do u feel he would abuse them in any other way..i know how important they are to you and your surviving this last year in this situation. If they can stay out of his way, then they should be with u..but if they are not safe, then you have a decision to make..omg i am just so sorry

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I feel bad because I know he has kicked Lucas before! I felt really bad for letting it happen and cried the entire night about it. I just don't know what he would do and really don't like the idea of giving them up. I really love them and I can't think of life with out them, but I don't wanna be selfish. I want what's best for them even if it means I will have to live without them....I just don't know.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Felurian

Part of your decision needs to depend on whether you think they would be happier in the long run enduring your Dad at times but being with you, or escaping him and having to leave you behind.

Another thing you have to consider is can you be sure they would go somewhere that they would be better cared for.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Part of your decision needs to depend on whether you think they would be happier in the long run enduring your Dad at times but being with you, or escaping him and having to leave you behind.

Another thing you have to consider is can you be sure they would go somewhere that they would be better cared for.
Putting it that way it seems they would be better with me.....which makes me happy
I am just worried about them and what might happen when I leave in a year. I doubt I would be able to take two big dogs with me to college. Lucas is really attatched to me and so is Chloe. They both are always following me around, not to the point of seperation anxiety, but to the point they are almost always with me.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:12 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I think I need to think about this for a while....my head hurts so I guess I should go....plus school tomorrow and dad has the day off.
I'll figures something out I guess.
pointer/labrador/terrier

did u ever read my charlie post in rainbow bridge?

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
No I haven't............let me do that right now.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:31 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
That was so sad I almost cried. It's just horrible to think of what some people do to our beloved dogs. I just got done giving lucas and Chloe a BIG hur and kiss and I hope I never give them up. I'll try my hardest to keep them safe and stay with me. I don't want them to get hurt I love them so much. I feel horrible even thinking about giving them to anyone else.

I'm gonna start looking at housing and maybe if I can manage a job I could pay for a apartment or house that would let me take Chloe and Lucas and then they could be with me, and maybe roomates if possible.
Felurian

Start looking across that bridge when it's closer. Have you figured out what college you're going to? Whether you'll be living in a dorm or in an apartment or a house with roommates?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian