Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Active Pup

Default phantom poodle

are phantom poodles rare to find? and if so how much would one cost?
thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Top Dog

Several breeders came up when I googled them ....one litter due this month ... but you have to contact them for $$$ . Are you looking for Standard , Mini or Toy ?

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 02:31 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I'm curious why you would seek out a disqualified color?

The only place parti colored poodles are allowed is the UKC ring if I'm not mistaken.

White markings are a DQ under the AKC and FCI breed standards. This is pretty much a losing proposition from the beginning.

JMO as always.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Taxiderpy

Maybe the OP lives in the UK where that color is "allowed"? Or they don't plan on showing and just really like the way that color looks on a poodle? I don't see what's wrong with looking for a disqualifying trait that occurs naturally within a breed, if that is what you like and it doesn't compromise the animal's health. Sometimes those things just crop up in litters whether breeders expect them to or not, and it's nice to have someone ready with a pet home when it does. (Example, my brother looked for a longcoat Akita FOREVER and finally, a breeder had one crop up so he got him at a discount. Just as a companion, because he really wanted a longcoat Akita.)
Old 07-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

What is a phantom p oodle?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:15 PM
overdogged

no idea about cost, but make sure you don't go off and buy a dog from somebody who breeds exclusively for "rare" colors. you're not going to do yourself or the pups any favors, just the breeder's bank account. familiarize yourself with the breed and the health concerns therein (they vary by size- but things to check for are hips and addisons disease in big dogs, knees in little dogs, PRA and sebaceous adenitis in all of them), and go from there. i understand color preference, but you're going to be hard pressed to find a responsibly bred phantom poodle.

which is silly, really, as it's a naturally occurring color in the breed, and it's just the whims of the AKC which make it "unacceptable".
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Top Dog

You'll have to look around for a while until you find a breeder that has a phantom puppy, I don't know how often they crop up. Just find some good breeders in your area and see if they have any phantom puppies. If not continue looking but keep an eye on those breeders in case a Phantom occurs. I also would like to know if you want a standard or mini poodle?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Bored Now.

Phantom is the tan/white points, I believe.

Rescues tend to get them, from what I have seen. Most people breeding them are probably BYBs.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Active Pup

right now im still in high school and i have two cats at home so my parents wouldn't let me get a standard if even a toy or mini. i know poodles are good around cats and all that but my parents just say no .but for my first poodle im not looking for shows or anything im just trying to learn how to raise them and stuff and get used to them for when i get my second one. when i get my second one il be putting her in shows. so all that up there = toy or mini poodle.

thanks for the help everyone
Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Bored Now.

Bingo, if that's the case I suggest you find a good mini or toy poodle rescue near you. You can adopt an older dog instead of a puppy, so you know EXACTLY what you are getting, and you can talk to the rescue to find a dog that fits your family. Adopting a slightly older dog (3-6 years old, or older if you wish) will most likely give you a housebroken, stable pet that already has some manners. I know puppies are cute, but the truth is that they are a LOT of work and if your parents aren't keen on having a dog in the first place, things might go a bit sour. Adopting an older dog would give you a more laid-back family member who already knows the ropes of living in a household and doesn't go through all of the crazier phases such as chewing, housebreaking, etc. You also know exactly what you are getting as far as size and temperament goes, and usually health, too.

Not all poodles (or ANY breed of dog for that matter) are good with cats. Most of them you can introduce slowly and train them to accept or ignore the cats, but there are going to be a select few with any breed that just doesn't like them.