Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Salty Sea Dog

Default crested or poodle

ok folks, im currently researching my next breed, chis will always be the love of my life, but id like soemthing a little different.

ive been looking into chinese cresteds and toy poodles.

firstly of course im looking for a small breed preferably under 10lbs so the chis wont be overwhelmed with size and for eas of transport and living situation.

im looking for a breed that, assuming is well socilized from day one is good with strangers/other people and dogs.
this dog will be my store "mascot" and would be comming into the shop every day with me so meeting new people and other dogs would be part of daily life.
and ill be honest and say im looking for a dog that will put up with me putting cute pet jewelry and little outfits on. my family owns a pet boutique so my next girl will be a model for our newest items.

i like cresteds for their personality and the fact that they are very unique, but to be honest they have a face only mothers could love as they get older...if going this route id probably go with a powderpuff and trim the coat into a hairless cresteds cut then let it grow out as she gets older.

i like poodles again great personality and theya re gorgeous.
id probably do a white female and keep in a simple but "girly" cut.

id like to possibly show, and i want to be able to possibly persue cgc for therapy work.

grooming: is no problem, im currently looking into training to become a groomer so have no problem spending the extra time grooming either of these breeds (it would be good practice)
excersize: i have a securly fenced 1/4 acre for free playtime and running before and after "work", but most of the day would be spent indoors in the shop.
training: id prefer an easier to train breed, i love my chis but they can be difficult to house break and lets face it, there more cat like making you earn the responces lol. id like a dog whos willing and eager to please and even show off

so opinions folks...should i go for a powderpuff crested or a toy poodle?!

please note this wouldnt be for a while but i like to get started on the research early.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 07-03-2007, 05:43 PM
and Spy.

I would say poodle, though I don't know a whole lot about cresteds.

Poodles are very eager to please, quick learners. Good with people and other dogs as well.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Sit! Good dog.

From what I have seen of crested, they are clever little dogs indeed...

I really like them, and I think you will love watching the little sweety age

I know I would!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I also happened on this website, but I don't know if it's UK or USA... I think it may be UK.

http://crestedhealth.ourdogs.net/

*edit - actually I think it is worldwide!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Are you dead yet?

I think if you're looking for a good model, no dog looks better in clothes than a Crested. I find Cresteds to be a bit less excitable than Poodles but both are terrific breeds. Tough choice!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Your Mom

Hands down, a Crested. I definitely suggest getting a powder puff and shaving it to look like a hairless if that's the look you want, since the hairless can have some skin problems.

My friend has 3 Powder Puffs and they're awesome little beasts!

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 07-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Show Dog

Def poodle. they are super smart, and will be a good breed to learn how to groom.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Salty Sea Dog

i keep looking at both and keep comming back to the cresteds...
i guess i just have to be patient, whatevers right for me iwll fall into my lap, they always have a tendency to.

theres 2 4month old female cresteds available being placed by an old frined of mine so you never know, one might end up comming home sooner than expected lol.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
i keep looking at both and keep comming back to the cresteds...
i guess i just have to be patient, whatevers right for me iwll fall into my lap, they always have a tendency to.

theres 2 4month old female cresteds available being placed by an old frined of mine so you never know, one might end up comming home sooner than expected lol.
My friend has a GORGEOUS 2 or 3 year old female that may be looking for a home (she was an owner surrender, they haven't decided if they're keeping her or not). She is a powder puff, white, with black erect ears. She's BEAUTIFUL. And she loves wearing clothing. LOL!

Just, you know, in case you decide you want an adult

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 07-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Salty Sea Dog

well to my suprise it looks like i may be getting 2 4month old female puffs.
these 2 are littermates are already leash and are supposedly housebroken. my frined in indianna pulled them from a high kill shelter (they both have slight underbites and their so called "breeder" dumped them because "cresteds are hard enough to sell, if they have faults i get stuck with them" so she left them there. my friend pulled them and our casual conversation about cresteds led to the inevitable. she cant keep them simply because there moving back to the uk and not willing to put them through 6 months of quarrentei and dont have time to do the pet passport program. im thinking ill take both and then try and rehome one of them, worst comes to worst i keep both, but its worth a try.
Both girls are fairly small, estimations are putting the smallest in the 5-7lbs range and the bigger of them in the 6-10lb range, making them a nice size for joining the "pack"

now my biggest question is how are cresteds with other dogs from those with experience?