Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Cockers

I know this may not be an option, because I don't think cockers are reccommended for allergy sufferers, but just in case, can I ask some questions about them?

I love cockers. We have some friends with one, and they keep him clipped short so he looks like a little mini lab, it's so cute. And he is a great dog.

They did have some trouble with him piddling when he got excited, is that a breed thing? And what about cherry eye? Our old neighbors had a cocker, and she talks all the time about how they get cherry eye and it's so expensive and this and that. Is it really that common?

And, if my son does have allergies, would keeping a cocker trimmed short have any effect on that, or not because it's really the dander?

And like the schnauzer thread, what about a poodle/cocker mix? (I swear if I get a poodle mix I won't call it any of those rediculous names).

Thanks so much everyone, I'm learning so much here. I'm becoming more and more confident that we will be able to find the right dog when the time is right.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 AM
and Spy.

A Schnauzer/poodle mix could shed and have the dander of a cocker just as easily as it could have the coat of the poodle. If you're going down the mixed breed route, get an ADULT from a SHELTER or RESCUE. That way, you could test your son and the dog to make sure there are no bad reactions. Stray from puppies as well, as they could turn out to be anything.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Cockers can submissive or excited pee. Most grow out of it if they do it at all. Cherry eye is relative to stubby nosed breeds. Cockers with shorter muzzles are more prone to it, it could happen, if it did it isn't the end of the world. Also shouldn't be wildly expensive to fix.

Depends upon your child. Some people are highly allergic to some animal saliva, not limited to just dander. My cocker doesn't shed that much, but they aren't considered a breed for allergy sufferers. They definitely have dander.

Mix a poodle with anything that sheds and you will potentially get a dog with dander who will shed. And you may not figure it out till the dog is home.

Find a local cocker breeder, tell them you have a child with allergies and see if you can make an appt to spend time with their dogs. Sure fire way to see what the reaction will be without guessing.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Top Dog

Don't know about the excited pee being a breed thing, my dog did it and he was a shar-Pei mix. As far as the allergies go, once you son is tested if he is positive and you still want a dog then make sure you visit him for like an hour or more to see if there is a reaction. You can do these visits with breeders and shelter. If you go to a breeder make sure you find a good one or let us help you find one since they are a breed targeted severely by BYBs. As with poo mixes make sure he's from a shelter, and there is no guarantee just because there is poodle that he is hypoallergenic.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I deffinitly agree with the others...

The piddling is a Cocker thing, but as Maxy stated, it can happen to any breed. Maddie rarely ever does it, and if she does its usually because some idiot didn't follow my directions on how to approach her. Too much flapping of the arms or posturing (especially from men, with her) can do it
I always hear about cherry eye, but I've never even met a cocker who has it. I agree with Mafia on that one...

Keeping a cocker trimmed short probably won't have an effect on allergies. Your best bet would be to expose your son to the breed and see how he reacts. My mother and brother both have dog allergies, but Maddie doesn't bother them. (so when I got Missy they just had to up the drugs LOL)

I love Cockers... they're my favorite breed! So, if you ever have an questions about them feel free to PM me about it, or post on Chaz ... They're great dogs, and often times very misunderstood because of their popularity in the past, and bad breeders . . .

Good luck on your search for the right breed. Kudos to you for researching first!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o