Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

Default How big is too big for protection work?

I was having a discussion with my friend about protection work and dogs. My friend basically believes that the big the better for protection. Granted he isn't the most knowledgeable person on dogs but it got me thinking.

If you're thinking about protection from a dog you want an athlete right? You don't want a 250lb Mastiff. I mean it would be a huge deterrent but not a real threat to a serious attack. I would guess 90-100 lbs would be ideal maybe bigger if they are just home guardians and don't need to run much.

I also realize that breed plays a huge roll. But I have seen 140lb Rotties that don't seem very athletic. I suppose their are dogs like the Boerboel that might be athletic at that weight but on average don't you think smaller dogs would be more effective?

What do you guys think?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Salty Sea Dog

it realy to me depends on he way the dogs built. a good protection dog built for work would be athletic and fast and easy to manouver, ive seen some mastifs kept trim and well in shape that would be prefect...the bulk and overall size shouldnt effect the performance of the dog, if it does, the dogs too big.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 05-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Felurian

I think the dog's capabilities and fundamental lack of vulnerability plays a bigger part than the size does. The most important part of the dog, though is the part between the ears

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I think it is the "drive" in the dog...not the size.
At the certification seminar we attended in April there was a great difference in size of dogs. Our Rocket is about 70 lbs, there were dogs up to about 110 lbs. and there were also dogs there about 50-55 lbs. The Mals were the smaller ones and had more determination and drive. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of an apprehension with their determination. They never tire and will do anything to succeed, when they realize what is expected of them. And yes such a smaller dog with smaller teeth can bite thru the bite suit.

If I were to choose a "guard" dog, I would pick a Medium size dog in great shape, with the "right" temperment. By medium about 65-70 lbs.

Rocket is trained for handler protection, she is the most mild manner dog, great with kids etc. but when she senses something is wrong she changes into a "different" dog. A protection dog does not have to be "aggressive" or "tempramental".... they just have to be smart enough to decide to "kick in" or not.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Top Dog

I agree !!! Depends on the line and the training . If it was between a #130 Newfie and an #8 JRT , who do you think I'd run from ??? LOL!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Show Dog

It depends on the dog and their fight drive. Mace and Keelo are capable of protecting. Mace is +100# and Keelo is 70#. Mace is very agile for his size and will fight to the very end. And if someone jumped over a car of something he will find a way to get his big butt over that car and take them down. But keelo is much more portable which is why I like a smaller dog. Now for sport smaller dogs are preffered although big 100# dogs can so sport as well. That is why Belgian shepherds and dutch shepherds rule the french ring sport because they are very agile and can clear the wall.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 AM
BusterLove

i've never relaly thought about that, true i would probably get a more athletic dog for protection work. but its a good point about their drive.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

The dog that will intimidate me is the dog that is fierce and coming after me. Doesn't matter what size it is.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Top Dog

I absolutley agree with it being brains over braun, but I would trust a Mastiff with protecting my life in a heartbeat!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Fishies!

I think it depends on the situation too.

Our door comes into a narrow area, a corner of the kitchen created by cabinets, a few feet wide. A 200lb mastiff would be perfect here, who cares about agility when you can just shove someone back through the door... A mastiff is still probably beat me running around in circles anyway.

Portability does have its advantages though if you're going to be taking the dog places, a Fila or Mastiff might get too much attention walking down the street, or be too difficult to keep getting in and out of a smaller car.