Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

Default Heart to Heart on Dogfood

I am NOT starting this thread to start a dogfood war. It is simply for education for ALL of us (NO BASHING OF ANYONE, PLEASE). Those that feed their dogs only fresh meat and/or vegetables, those that feed their dogs only those premium foods that are hard to find and very expensive, those that feed their dogs the advertised "premium" foods, those that feed their dogs the commercial brands found in grocery stores, and those that feed their dogs generic brands (such as Walmart's "Ole Roy"). I would like to know why you feed what you do and why? I'm in a hurry right now because I must leave to babysit my nephew, but I wanted to start this thread. For instance, I always fed Pedigree (grocery store or PetSmart) to my dogs but found out it was chit. I have since "moved up" (or so I thought) to Science Diet. I have since found out even that is chit (although my current dog's coat is the best of any coat I've had in a dog). Most all my dogs have lived long, healthy lives. So, what gives? Do the lower-wanted-ingredient foods bring on cancer and allergies? I'm really at a loss. Thanks...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:10 PM
no touchy

My three dogs are fed a mixture of raw (vet's recipe) and Bench & Field Holistic Natural Canine Formula. The raw we feed because we want to feed our dogs the most natural food possible, and our vet recommends it. The Bench & Field because it is readily available, and has good ingredients. Soon all three will be eating completely raw.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

I feed costco s chicken food now(I think its called kirklands best). I always fed pedigree(small crunchy bites) and other than some excess weight and dandruff they were always healthy. I switched because I felt bad after hearing other people say they only feed whatever because people can eat it to(my dads always eaten the dogs treats or food first ). So I started looking at all the dog food labels and saw nothing i liked that I could afford or find.I looked into nutro but then heard bad things about it to. I went to costco and saw their food and it looked a hell of a lot better than other things so we got a bag to try and thats what they are getting from now on!

They eat like a third of what they did the pedigree and there is a lot less poop. My dobe has no where near as much gas anymore and his skin seems so much nicer to me. My corgi has lost her chub and her coat seems a lot better too. SHe used to have an odor to her that has now disappeared. My beagle doesn't seem to be any different no matter what food she eats. My dad fed her the cheap grocery store stuff for years and shes been great and not changed since the switch really. I know that the corgi and the husky don't seem to like it as much as the pedigree though. They used to dig into their food but now they kind of just pick at first.

I don't think its right for everyone to get so crappy about it though when some one says they feed,whatever brand. Certain food is for certain dogs and no matter how better the ingrediants are its just what the dog does better on. i don't think there was anything wrong with me feeding pedigree because my dogs loved it and they were not in some health danger. I could have put my corgi on a diet with it I just never got around to it I think most dogs in the world would live long happy lifes on a cheap brand. i can afford it so I'll pay an extra couple dollars but I now there are people who can't and still love their dogs and I'm not going to say they are bad because of that. I was really shocked to learn that dalmations don't digest the meat the same way. SO I guess it would have been bad to feed them a meat one. I still wonder if thats why my friends dal was sick when we were little. I am wondering if there are any specific feeding needs I've never heard about for my breeds though.Anyone know any? I've heard things for if I actually work the husky but I don't so I've always fed her what the others get.That was looong!
Old 05-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Active Pup

Costco Super Premium Chicken and Rice. We have 9 dogs that eat about 50 lbs a week. We struggled to find the best food for the best price and at $15 for 40 lbs for a food that has no corn or by products at all, we feel its a steal. We buy 200 lbs at a time.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Quigleyfied

i could write a book on the topic, but i'll try to keep it short and sweet.

while the quality of the diet you feed has a huge impact on the dog's health, it's not the only thing that makes a difference. genetics play a large role too. some dogs can do okay eating a poor quality food all their life, but you'll never know how much better they could have done on a better quality food. others show clear signs of nutritional deficiencies, such as allergies, poor skin and coat, bad breath and body odor, stained, plaque crusted teeth and inflamed gums and so on and so on.

many of these symptoms are looked upon as "normal for dogs" by the general public. these people are not aware of the fact that their dogs are in fact not doing as well as they possibly could.

i can't begin to count how often people tell me their dogs are "perfectly healthy and happy", yet when i open the dog's mouth its breath smells absolutely vile, gingivitis is present, you get a smelly, oily residue on your hand when you pet the dog and so on. then people tell you that they have to bathe the dog at least once a week or it stinks, they have crusty eyes in the morning and a host of other problems.

again, even in the negative genetics plays a large role. some dogs (especially small breeds) can have bad teeth no matter what you do and might need additional cleaning even when fed a raw diet. some are just prone to allergies or have other health issues brought on by bad genes rather than a bad diet.

all in all it makes more sense to do what you can to support your dog's health by a good diet rather than just feeding a popular food brand regardless of its quality. i'd rather have my dog do well because his food agrees with him as opposed to have a "scientifically designed" kibble mask the symptoms of health issues until they become too severe to be treated with alternative options and vet intervention becomes necessary.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
i could write a book on the topic, but i'll try to keep it short and sweet.

while the quality of the diet you feed has a huge impact on the dog's health, it's not the only thing that makes a difference. genetics play a large role too. some dogs can do okay eating a poor quality food all their life, but you'll never know how much better they could have done on a better quality food. others show clear signs of nutritional deficiencies, such as allergies, poor skin and coat, bad breath and body odor, stained, plaque crusted teeth and inflamed gums and so on and so on.

many of these symptoms are looked upon as "normal for dogs" by the general public. these people are not aware of the fact that their dogs are in fact not doing as well as they possibly could.

i can't begin to count how often people tell me their dogs are "perfectly healthy and happy", yet when i open the dog's mouth its breath smells absolutely vile, gingivitis is present, you get a smelly, oily residue on your hand when you pet the dog and so on. then people tell you that they have to bathe the dog at least once a week or it stinks, they have crusty eyes in the morning and a host of other problems.

again, even in the negative genetics plays a large role. some dogs (especially small breeds) can have bad teeth no matter what you do and might need additional cleaning even when fed a raw diet. some are just prone to allergies or have other health issues brought on by bad genes rather than a bad diet.

all in all it makes more sense to do what you can to support your dog's health by a good diet rather than just feeding a popular food brand regardless of its quality. i'd rather have my dog do well because his food agrees with him as opposed to have a "scientifically designed" kibble mask the symptoms of health issues until they become too severe to be treated with alternative options and vet intervention becomes necessary.
Thanks, Mordy. That was very informative! You brought up signs of where "you could do better by your dog". Things like bad breath, body oil, crusty eyes. That's good info...
Old 05-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Taco Dog

What did dogs eat a long time ago when all this information wasn't available? I know you have researched all of this, but this is really just an honest question. What did they eat 20 or 30 years ago? All of my dogs up until now have been raised on Jim Dandy Chunks n Gravy. I had one that was healthy up until he was killed a few years ago by a lightening strike, and that's all he ate. I did post something a few days ago about wanting to start feeding my animals these "natural" foods, but now I just don't think there is anything wrong with animals eating by-product of chickens or anything like that.

They are animals and have different stomachs than we do. If we ate that stuff, we wouldn't die or even get sick. We may get sick if we actually knew what it was, but I just don't get all the hype about the dog/cat foods. All of my animals have been perfectly healthy eating these "bad" foods, and I am going to stick to them. Roxy Mae eats Pedigree. Precious and Spud eat Purina Meaty Chunx and Jim Dandy. Oreo eats 9Lives.
I mean, if they can eat poo, let alone other dogs' poo, then why be so picky about their food? I say as long as you keep your pet checked by a vet and you give it all the love you have, then that should be good enough.
Ok, enough of my vent on the food issue

PS. I didn't meant to sound ill or anything if I did above

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 05-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Felurian

This will give you a bit of insight on why dog food - and food in general - is more harmful than it was decades ago: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...9&postcount=33

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-21-2005, 08:59 PM
user not active

Some years ago. About 20-30 actually.

Either throw dogs a cow leg with meat still on it, or make a big huge bowl of soup made from everything including bread, potatoes, meat, cabbage, etc.

Then just pour it into the bucket. Ate just fine and lived long healthy lives.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Taco Dog

I do see your point also Renee. I do not think it is ok for animals to be given the euthanasia drug then cut up and used for dog meat.

My dogs have never had any problems attributed to food... nor our cats. I don't "look down" on people who prefer to feed their dogs different foods. We all have different opinions and can only go so far as to impose our own on someone else. We can't make eachother do what the other does. I personally have no convictions on giving my dogs and cats anything different than what I always have, so I guess it will stay the way it is until some scientific proof comes along that proves to me beyond the shadow of a doubt that my animals' food is causing them harm.

orion,
I agree. All dogs I have met so far have been on a whole spectrum of different foods and I honestly can't think of one that has had a problem attributed to food. Except of course for dogs or cats that are only fed table scraps.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com