Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

Default Beligian Malinois

I was wondering if anyone here had or has experience with this breed or the dutch shepherd - temerment, trainability, drives, sociability, behavioural issues etc etc.
Possibly looking for another agility dog, JRT is my #1 choice (already have one), however, i do really like this breed as well. I've heard many conflicting opinions on this particular breed, so am looking for some first hand info.
Thanks in advance.

Brandy: The B Hive (JRT) - ADC, SGDC, AADC, RPT, RNMCL, CL2, CL3-R, CL3-H, CL3-S, HIT Agility JRTRO 2009 Trial

Pet Portraits, Design & Photography
www.juliesillustration.com

www.dogznart.blogspot.com
Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 PM
whatszmatter

If you find a good one, they're great. I can see a difference in them, as with all dogs. A new guy just started training with us, he has an 18 month old and a 10 week old mal from Belgium. Very different from a lot that i've seen. Their nerves seem more stable. They still have great quickness, and great speed. Very quick to obey, but not as hectic as a lot of them I've seen. A friend of mine also breeds very nice ones.

But as the Mal's have gained in popularity, you have to be more careful on who you buy from. Any specific questions you might have? Overall I love them. Dutch shepherds included, Not much experience with them, but the few I have seen I've really, really liked. GSD's still hold spot #1 though
Old 05-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Dog Show Addict

Be ready for CONSTANT ALERT type of a dog lol

they need a crazy amount of socializing since you get them untli they get older.. To different foot surfaces, people, scenarios etc etc.

have you thought about perhaps a rescue? There are so many in rescues right now..
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Owned by Belgians

I have one and a half. My purebred it 18 months and she's always doing something. She's smart and will do anything for food. In her agility class, she was the star and even loves flying off the noisy teeter. She's also doing well with tracking and I finally started serious obedience training with her.

Are you getting the idea. They need lots to do. She's alert to everything, and has a strong prey drive. If it moves, she wants it. I would not let her near children without being in a sit stay. She's not been raised with them and doesn't yet understand that they are not her playmates. But she is not agressive, she just plays rough.

She's from French working lines full of French Ring III titles. I think there are some other long discussions about Malinois and their temperaments from earlier this year. You should do a search.

Her father was a social butterfly and loved people, but my girl is more typical of all Belgians and will not let anybody approach her.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

Only got to know two (never owned one). One was owned by another teacher I know.

Her dogs is fantastic. She works at a school for troubled children and she takes her dog to school (I have major envy for that). She is great with strangers and does very well in agility work

She is kinda dominant with other dogs but I wouldn't say aggressive...just bossy.

If she had one problem is that she is kinda hard to keep weight on her. She seems to be continuously on the skinny side.

Her vet said she is completely healthy and just has a high metabolism. I guess like some humans they are just naturally skinny no matter how much they eat.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
Her father was a social butterfly and loved people, but my girl is more typical of all Belgians and will not let anybody approach her.
In my mind, this is NOT typical of all Belgians. Belgians should let people approach them. They should be confident, not aggressive or scared. They shouldn't seek out attention from strangers, but they should definitely let people approach them and stand their ground with confidence and no aggression.

The thing about Malinois in North America is that a lot of the working lines are being bred to have over-the-top drive. This can make them difficult to handle in agility, as they have no problem blowing right through jumps and contact equipment, with no care for their own personal safety, and no care about keeping jumps up. As was mentioned, they can re-direct bite when in drive mode, making them particularly difficult to handle.

One thing I have learned since I started breeding Belgians is that temperament and drive are relative. I have very high standards for both, and although I love a high drive dog, I also want a level of self control. Often though, that self control needs to be taught. I have a new 12 week old puppy here now who has tons of drive. We've already started little lessons on self control.

The best thing to do if you are seriously looking for a drivey Belgian is to talk to owners of dogs and offspring in the line you are looking at. Also, take time to really talk with the breeder so you can ascertain whether or not both your idea of drive/workability is the same as his/her idea of drive/workability. Take the time to research the breeder fully. And if the breeder is pushy, find another.

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Dog Show Addict

ALL Belgians are skinny.. lol

unless they are over the age of 5.. they just always seem to be skinny.

At least with working lines I have noticed.

Riot is SOOO hard to keep and get weight onto.. His lines were bred like that though, not to gain weight too quickly to enable strong joints.

Hes slowly gaining weight though and adding muscle on top of that.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 05-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Owned by Belgians

My "puppy" is also "bossy". She's always telling other dogs what she thinks. It looks a little aggressive, but she's just talking.

I track with a bunch of people with other Belgians, Groenendaels and Tervurans, and they all seem to have this trait.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Dog Show Addict

I hear you on that one BlackPuppy!!

Riot is bossy! Although, he WILL let a pushy female push him around for a little bit... but if it gets accessive he'll step up and say thats enough.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM
and Spy.

Just be prepared for a lot of dog, LOL.

I did look into them but I opted for a BC instead.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.