Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Active Pup

Default Help choosing a breed please!

I live in a moderate sized apartment, and i have a terrible want for a mdeium to large sized dog. I know that this sounds ridiculous, because I have no yard. But I am very active, and am defiantely dedicated enough to take my dog out all the time. There a bunch of park areas in the apartment complex I live in.

I'm looking for a dog with little grooming needs, a loyal dog, who isn't extremely active, but isn't a t.v. watching dog. One who will play fetch with me outside.

As I said I am looking for a large dog, about... 20-60 pounds? I know that's a large range but I am open to alot of possibilities.

I really want a friendly dog, but like i said before, a really loyal one.

A few of the dogs I was looking at were Labroador retriever, Siberian Huskey CORGIDOR (even though they seem very rare, thye are a hybrid), Golden Retriever, German Shepard
anything along those lines I am going to be adopting from a pound, or a rescue organization, so I can't really be all to picky

please help?

thank you!!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Water Junkie

I'd say Golden Just ask Grammy!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Out of the breeds you are considering, I would probably consider a Golden. IMO a Sibe would not be too good. People have managed to take care of them while in an apartment but it's not ideal.
How much experience do you have with dogs? Training?
And you said you would go to a pound or a rescue? I'm sure you could find a mix who would suit your needs.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

Your getting from a shelter so I won't oppose the Hybrid but if you did not know, don't get them from breeders it's a scam for money!

Well I think most of those breeds are over 60 pounds (or at least can be) but since you want a large dog you probably don't mind. Huskys are probably too energetic for you. You said you don't want too much grooming but how do you feel about shedding? Goldens and Labs shed quite a bit (not sure about GSDs) but if you don't mind that then I'd go with either of them. Depending on the individual you can get a very hyper or very layed back golden or lab. The reason I don't mention German Shepherds is because i don't know enough about them but we have some GSD owners who can be of help with that.

Have you ever been to www.petfinder.com it is a great site that helps you find the breed and age dog you are looking for in your area. There is also a thing you can click on that says local shelter where you can look at dogs from shelters in your area that may not have been from the breed you wanted but still might be a perfect match.

Sorry i'm not much help, I'm not very good with breeds but i wish you luck in your search!

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

I would say a golden or a mixed breed.

With your criteria, I definitely wouldn't go with a Sibe. My friend has three and they are extremely active and don't seem terribly well suited for apartment life. They were really hard to housebreak and are rather independent.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Top Dog

one more question is a corgidor a lab mixed with a corgi? like this: http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6854953

It's interesting what you can find mixed with a corgi here's one mixed with GSD: http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8233292

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Salty Sea Dog

id say a lab or a golden, oth shed considerably, but of the breeds your interested in they would be the best suited, sibes definatly not good, too much energy. and i think a shepard would be too much too.

corgi x labs are NOT hybrids, there mutts mixed breeds (a hybrid is 2 different species ie a lion and a tiger, a horse and a donkey ect, 2 different breeds of dogs however are simply mixed breeds, nothing wrong with them but plese dont purposely go out looking for a hybrid "corgidor" from a "breeder" because quite simply youll be taken for every hard earned penny in MOST those cases.) so avoid buying one from a breeder, adopting one from a shelter however i have no problem with, they deserve good homes i just hate to see unscrupulous breeders making money off them

back to origional topic. hav eyou considered a basic ole hinze 57 mutt. go to your local shelter and take a look around, theres bound to be one that just SCREAMS choose me and he may be nothing like any of the breeds youve mentioned
ideally youd want a young adult 1-4yrs of age, id probably say a short coated god to ease up on the grooming, however many long coated dogs (ie a golden) dont require much more than a good comb and sometimes a trim once in a while so if your not too worried about shedding your not realy even restricted too much on coat length. the nice thing about rescuing a young adult is youll kno how big the dog is full grown, the dog will hopefully already be somewhat housebroken and youll be bast the crazy puppy stages.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Big Dog

Another vote for an adult mix from a rescue. Petfinder is a great place to start looking.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Twin 2.0

I've got an adult (3-4 y/o) female black Lab in need of a home, would do ok in an apartment provided she got some good off-leash park time. Loves to play fetch and doesn't quite have a typical Lab coat, so she doesn't shed much at all.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:34 PM
BusterLove

don't forget about things like Germa shorthaired pointers. there gorgeous.

or a cattle dog, atleast with my boy i've found that he's a great energy conserver. he can just be at home all day doing othing and not whinge. or i can take him out and walk him for hours and he loves it.