Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Default What breed has the least...........

What breed has the least amount of genetic problems. I was having a discussion with someone and it got me wondering. I have heard that the ACD has the world record for single oldest dog but I am wondering on average what breed overall is the genetically healthiest breed.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:24 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

pharaoh hounds have NO documented genetic health problems.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

I have heard Border Terriers are called the "Timex watches" of the dog world. One breeder I am friends with says they just keep on ticking!! LOL!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Acd's can suffer from PRA and BAER but other than that are a pretty healthy breed. Also very minimal hip dysplasia in the breed...........I believe what the other poster said about the Pharoah hounds is true, but then again they are not a well known ordinarilly owned dog (very rare). Remember the more common the breed the more health problems
Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Puppy Dog

I think every breed has something or another.. I know the small breeds are prone to Luxating Patella.Nemo had surgery for that in December...
Andrea

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think of you
Old 04-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Top Dog

http://www.petdoc.ws/BreedPre.htm#P

I recently got this in email - may be of interest, although I have no idea how accurate it is.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post

I recently got this in email - may be of interest, although I have no idea how accurate it is.
WOW..Thanks for the link..All breeds have alot of problems...Holy cow..
Andrea

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think of you
Old 04-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post

Interesting website..thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsarebetter View Post
pharaoh hounds have NO documented genetic health problems.
I knew someone who bought a pharoah hound. Their reasoning behind that myth was, "Oh pharoah hounds dont have hip dysplasia because they have been around for so long, so you really don't even have to OFA them."

When you look for 'healthiest' you are looking for something impossible. EVERY breed has health problems. Most breeds do not health test everything under the sun. There are tests for hip dysplasia, elbow dyspasia, luxating patellas, BAER (hearing/deafness), CERF for eyes, Thyroid, Von wildebrands, progressive retinal atrophy, CEA which I believe is collie eye anomaly, cardiac issues, etc. The list goes on. No one breed actually tests it all, plus there are diseases that are genetic that can be passed on that cannot be tested for, such as seizures. Either the dog has them or not.

My point is, these common problems exist in every breed, maybe only rarely, but the possibility is still there, they are all canines. Every breed has problems. In fact in ACDs we test for CERF, OFA hips (some do elbows) and we do BAER test on ears, and there is a genetic PRA test. Nothing else. I have a bitch with hypothyroidism, and I know multiple ACDs with epilepsy. Just because most breeders test for the 4 main tests, doesn't mean there arent other genetic problems out there.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
I have heard Border Terriers are called the "Timex watches" of the dog world. One breeder I am friends with says they just keep on ticking!! LOL!
apparently theres something called spikes disease that is getting more common in the breed, no idea what it is but i've seen it mentioned on a few breeders sites