Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Top Dog

Default breed for us

I don't know if we will be getting a new dog but my mom seems some what interested in looking so maybe we will! I was wondering what breeds you think would suit us (mostly mom though).

Size would be anything from Yorkie sized to lab sized. She wants a small dog since she feels they are easier to travel with but really likes labs and dogs of that size too so we are not really sure on size, nothing giant though.

Must be good with cats, tolerate dogs (though one does not live hear there is a visiting one), and be god with little kids( with supervision of course) since she is thinking ahead to when she will have grand kids.

Exercise he would get would be a walk a day, more while he is younger since I will be home to do it but once I'm in College it will be one walk a day.

Easily trained would be best for them nothing too independent either.

Hair should be no longer than golden retriever (although she really likes Irish Setters, Do they need pro. grooming?) since she does not want to have a lot of noticeable hair around the house but does not mind some and does not want to have to have professional grooming.

Basically she want an easy going dog. Ask more questions if I missed anything I hope we get a dog. We would Rescue but I'd like to see what major breed in the mix to look for or if we have any breed rescues to look there. You guys could also say what breeds to most definitely avoid.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

Also need to mention we don't want a dog prone to Separation anxiety or excessive barking (barking when people come t the door is fine of course).

Old 04-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Salty Sea Dog

a cavaleir king charles or a cocker spaniel are the first things that come to mind.

a well bred in either should be happy go lucky dogs, good with people and when socilized good with dogs and cats. smart without being so smart they will try to think around you, easy to travel with as there not exactly large, but not so delicate as a toy breed.
our cocker is happy with 1 good walk a day and playtime in the garden a few times a day, he loves to play ball and will play inside, but is not a destructive or over active dog.

their coat requires a good brushing frequently with eaither breed, cavaleirs coats require less in terms of professional grooming just a good brushing,
a cockers coat can be kept natural for that shaggy dog look (lots of brushing) or cut into anything from a true cocker cut (short on back lots of feathering) a short cocker cut (as above not so long on the feather) a "pajama" cut which is even shorter on the feathering, or many people just shave their cocker (but i think they look nicest in a short cocker cut.

get form a good breeder and socilize like crazy, or a temperment tested dog from a shelter. i had cockers growing up and NEVER met a mean one, then moved to the USA and everyone who learnt we had a cocker was like "oh they are nasty they bite" this is 100% against true cocker nature, they should be HAPPY dogs, just goes to prove they have been badly bred by BYB's they shouldnt be visious in any way shape or form.

our charlie boy loves EVERYONE!

heres charlie, hes an american x english cocker mix.
forgive the shaggy dog look, it was days before spring haircut time!

hes handome

loves everyone

and is such a push over even 3lb dodger pushes him around lol.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Mistress Wigglebutt

I am quite partial to miniature australian shepherds, but that's just me. :-D

I suppose Morrie is more laid back than the norm, though, or .. apparantly (??), though I've never had any dogs that were execptionally energetic. Their energy is more fun and goofy than a border collie or a sheltie, for example.. not as wound up or nervous energy. Mid length hair, VERY outgoing and friendly with other dogs and people (in fact Morrie loves our agility instructor SO MUCH that he can't even begin to concentrate on a class until she gives him a rub. ).

-----
Puppy Whiskers, Callie Dog and my Angel, trimming and watering the grass at Rainbow Bridge while they wait for me.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Twin 2.0

What about an actual lab? I have a foster that might work out for you.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
What about an actual lab? I have a foster that might work out for you.
How old is Virgo Zoom?

Old 04-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Twin 2.0

Somewhere between 3-4...let me go dig up the thread I posted about her for more info

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45322
Old 04-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Top Dog

Virgo is very tempting I''l def. show her to my mom, she'll like that she travels well in the car since that as her main reason for wanting a small dog. Are you sure she will not harm the cats? Because that is one of our most important Criteria for dogs. She likes baths which is a GREAT change for us (Max was half shar-pei and water was his #1 enemy). For thunderstorms does she get destructive? Leash pulling is not a big problem since Max was probably worse and I can work with her on it. She sounds like a great dog, is she dog aggressive or just dominant? My Uncle brings his Shih-Tzu Phoebe over about once a week only for like 15 minutes though so would that be a problem? Whether mom wants her or not I hope she gets a good home she sounds wonderful, I can't believe no one has gotten her I'll talk to my mom later today (we have people over right now)

Old 04-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Twin 2.0

She likes to hide under things when it storms, but if you're around she doesn't get destructive. She did pull the door off of her crate the other week, but we'd had thunderstorms for four days straight and it was just too much. She does need quite a bit of exercise to keep her calm, swimming and fetch and stuff. She loves doggie daycare!

She is good with cats, she will chase them if they run, but she doesn't try to eat them or anything. She's gotten a lot better about pulling on the leash in her foster home and for 15 minutes, she can be crated while your uncles dog is over.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Top Dog

Well I asked my mom and she said if we get one it will not be for a while since my Grandpa is coming to live here when he comes home from the hospital on Wednesday and he could be here for a while. He is very unsteady on his feet and she does not want a dog to trip him (honestly the cats are more likely to do that). Sorry Zoom but if we are still looking and Virgo still needs a home when my mom is ready We will look inti her again. Breed suggestions are still welcome though