Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default I Feed good food...and crappy treats, am I bad?

Ok so Hannah is fed Canidae chicken meal and rice kibble and Holly gets Timberwolf Organics kibble. Well the girls always enjoy their nightly Milk-Bone brand dog biscuit...does this make me a bad person? They only get 1 a day and they really love them and the Canidaes and Innovas just do not seem to go over as well with them and they are too expensive. I have considered just not giving them a nightly treat at all but they really like them, and miss them if they don't. They get all upset if I say "bedtime" without first going and grabbing them their milk-bone.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

I do the same thing sometimes. My dogs get Canidae and Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul canned mixed with their kibble. And I do buy a bag or two of one of those brands of biscuits. But I also get those horrible things that smell smoked. They probably have artificial flavors etc in them and who knows what else. But they're really skinny little tube shaped things and I cut them into tiny pieces crosswise...great training treats and the smell is very enticing. Sometimes I get those from Nutro brand and sometimes I get those Pupperoni kind. They're probably not very good for them, but it's a small amount and they love them. When I'm feeling industrious, I'll make my homemade liver treats. They really love those!

Occasionally, I've gotten those biscuits called Bonz. They really like those too.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Big Dog

If you have Costco, I give my dogs Kirkland's version of milk-bones and they like them just as much. I wouldn't feed kibble with the same ingredients, but there's nothing in them that I absolutely can't stand feeding. There's a lot of wheat and some beet pulp but no corn or anything really disgusting.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilityretrievers View Post
If you have Costco, I give my dogs Kirkland's version of milk-bones and they like them just as much. I wouldn't feed kibble with the same ingredients, but there's nothing in them that I absolutely can't stand feeding. There's a lot of wheat and some beet pulp but no corn or anything really disgusting.

we have a costco but no membership. We looked around there once and just did not think that the membership would be worth it. Atleast I'm not the only one that does this. I did buy the Innova healthbars for awhile but they just didn't care for those they actually LOVE the Milk-bones! I will occasionally get them the mother hubbard stuff and the canidae biscuits but the dogs always end up making their way back onto the Milk-bones and love them. Maybe I should look into mixing them up like Milk bones one night and Canidae biscuits the next? That would probably ease my mind a little but not kill my wallet.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I do the same thing.... Chloe loves the pupperoni things also...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

That's funny. like reverse snobbism
My one dog won't touch low end biscuity treats. He acts like they aren't made of food. The other dog would eat literally anything so she's no judge of what's yummy.
For biscuit type treats, my picky dog really does like the Mother Nature ones (made by Naturapet). Have you tried the peanut butter ones? They also like the Evo treats.
I don't know what to say. I probably wouldn't buy them- I simply refuse to support those companies putting out that crap and I don't want to feed my dogs the carcinogenic preservatives they contain.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
For biscuit type treats, my picky dog really does like the Mother Nature ones (made by Naturapet). Have you tried the peanut butter ones?
Actually, yes! Herschel loves those and they smell so good that I had to take a nibble.

Like all dog biscuits, they taste dry and bland. But they smell so good!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

My dogs, squirt the pitbull, and jessica the tiny toy poodle eat timberwolf. squirt will eat anything as a treat, and jessica is very persnickity. but they both like pupperoni, and beggin' strips which i know is not good for them. just a a treat after dinner, ours that is.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

You're right Sam. I shouldn't feed some of those things for the reasons you stated.

Oh! I just remembered something. I don't know what the brand is or anything, but a few times at Safeway (I don't always see them) there were these brown, natural paper/cardboard boxes of biscuits. The boxes had black lettering. They were VERY inexpensive, comparatively speaking...like $2 and some change. And when I read the ingredients, you wouldn't believe how good they looked...like super premium stuff. Gosh, I wish I could recall what they were called.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Buddy Biscuits...?? I know they are in a box like that...??