Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 PM
lurking near the surface

Default pitties and dog agression

so just how cautious do you need to be with bullies and other dogs? i see a lot of pitt owners seem to have multiple dogs, whereas some people don't want to get a pitt because they already have dogs and are concerned about dog aggression.
how do you know if a pitbull is going to be OK with other dogs? can all animal aggression be trained/socialized out of them? or is the "never trust a pittbull not to fight" motto true? do you always have to separate your dogs if you are leaving the room?

i ask because i have a year or two before we get our next dog and i still am uncertain which breed i will be aiming for. i know which breeds i don't want, but that leaves many open for consideration. pitts weren't even on my "maybe list" until i started reading this forum.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Snow Girl

A lot depends on the lines you get them from but even then its all in the individual dog. If I owned a breed who was known for dog agression I would never leave them unattended with another dog no matter how good they seem together when humans are around. All it takes is one of them to get a little too possessive over something and you can have a nasty fight break out. some dog agression in pits dont even "click" until they are a few years old. Others have it right away. Training and socialization do help tremendously but you dont exactly get rid of it, you just control it and modify the behaviour.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 03-21-2007, 11:07 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Personally, I don't trust a Pit Bull not to fight. That's not to say that they all will, because I know for a fact that there are many many dogs out there who never show an ounce of dog aggression. But, there are many more who never show dog aggression and then begin to show it later in life.
People with multiple Pits should know what they are getting into beforehand, and luckily, there are growing numbers of those who do understand. And mynay of those people can attest to the tragedies of the death of a dog because of a fight that nobody could have predicted. Between dogs that even cuddle with eachother everynight at the foot of their bed. And the sad thing is, there's really no way to tell if it will happen, or if it could happen again if it's already happened once or more than once.

As OC said, training and socialization (and some good bloodline research, as well as breed research) are really the only deterrents if you will to dog aggression, other than just pure devotion to protecting this breed. This is one of the top reasons that people who want this breed cannot just decide for the first time on a complete whim of minor desire.

My Polyvore
Old 03-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Top Dog

I've got into this debate before.

I have a poorly BYB pitbull who has shown no signs of DA to date in my home towards my bitch.

In fact they recently got into their largest fight ever, leaving Hades with a gash on his head.

What did he do? Took it on his back than came crying to mommy.

I'm not going to say that it's all on the owner and training, because it isn't.

I'm not going to say that every pitbull will one day seriously injure or kill another dog if left alone unattended.

All I'm going to say, that in my household with my 1.5 year old pitbull (he's still quite young) to date, I have never witnessed any aggressive behaviours towards my bitch.

Will I rule it out? Nope, but they are left unattended together, every now and again, I've taped them. They sleep...
Old 03-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Squishy face

There is a pit at the rescue shelter I volunteer at. When he first arrived he was still a puppy, only about 6 months old or so. Now he is about a year and 1/2. He got along with other dogs, but now that he's getting older his DA is starting to come out more (yes he is neutered). He plays with another pit mix, a female and his best buddy. But I wouldn't trust introducing him to any other dogs now. In fact, somebody said he's been playing rougher and rougher with that female. As pit bulls mature, their dog aggression can come out more. This pit isn't dog reactive though, because he is used to being walked on leash by lots of other dogs all the time.

I also go and read a pit bull forum, and somebody recently posted a story as a lesson to others about how he came home and found his dog DEAD because his other dog had ripped it up. These were pit bulls who had lived together for years and were left unattended ONCE by an oblivious friend. Dog aggression is a very real part of pit bulls and should never be ignored. I'm not saying they can't ever live peacefully with other dogs, just NEVER leave them unattended together!

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

APBT's tend to be very intelligent animals. With proper socializing from a young age, training and control, they can live with other dogs, usually. Every dog is different, no matter what the breed is. There are some that require no contact at all with other dogs and are dealt with on a crate and rotate schedule. There are many that have no problems their whole life. You need to be very dedicated to training and socializing them and expect to supervise their interactions with other animals at all times. Always be prepared to step in and take control of any iffy situations, even though your APBT may not have started the trouble, they are more likely to finish what was started. Knowing you dog well, and stepping in at the first signs of an issue before major problems start is best. If your bringing an APBT pup into a house that already has a dog in it, bring in one of the opposite sex. They tend to be more tolerant of them. Make sure they are fixed so as to remove any problems related to sexual maturity issues.

You need to be very sure you are willing to put the time and effort into owning an APBT in a multi dog household before deciding to get one. There is no way to tell, especially with a pup, what level of dog aggression they may have. They may never show any signs, but if they do it's usually during their teen years. Some will show signs as early as 9 months, some not till 2-3 years. The average is about 18 months of age. I would never leave my dogs alone together, it's just not worth taking a chance on. It may be being over cautious, but in my opinion it removes all worries when you do so. Dogs act differently when you are not there, and if something starts when your not there to stop it, it's usually a horrible mess to come home to.

Never expect your dog not to act like an APBT, it's part of the responsibility of owning them. If you leave the room for a bit, take one of the dogs with you, alternate which one stays or goes with you. Or crate them both.

Finally, make sure you get your APBT from a shelter that temperament tests them, including dog on dog tests. Or purchase from a reputable breeder who temperament/health tests as well. Make sure you are allowed to see the parents, they can help give you an idea of what your pup will turn out like, and breeders of quality dogs have no problems showing off the parents. If a breeder won't let you see them, run, don't walk, away.

Hope this helped some

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 03-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

Just wanted to add.....

If the APBT is to be a pet, please try the shelters first. Many APBT are not adopted due to the bad press they get.

If you do go the breeder route, I would suggest staying away from the ones that advertise old school blood or from gamebred lines. It's not that they don't make good pets, but they are more along the lines of working dogs and might tend to have more dog aggression issues. Breeding out that trait is not as important to breeders of working dogs as those that breed just for show.

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 03-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
There is a pit at the rescue shelter I volunteer at. When he first arrived he was still a puppy, only about 6 months old or so. Now he is about a year and 1/2. He got along with other dogs, but now that he's getting older his DA is starting to come out more (yes he is neutered). He plays with another pit mix, a female and his best buddy. But I wouldn't trust introducing him to any other dogs now. In fact, somebody said he's been playing rougher and rougher with that female. As pit bulls mature, their dog aggression can come out more. This pit isn't dog reactive though, because he is used to being walked on leash by lots of other dogs all the time.
You have to also realize this dog is in a shelter. I have known many dogs that were dog aggressive in the shelter, only to get them out and realize it was the shelter causing the dog aggression.

I donít have anything to add, I am interested to know the answer as well. I know for sure my next dog will be a pittie but I worry that when it gets older I will have to separate it from my other dogs, even when supervised. But I will most likely just get a 3+ year old pittie, since I have heard DA usually shows up around 2. It seems like no one on here has any problems with their dogs getting along.

Although I donít but know that I should, all dogs should (with mine) be separated when not supervised IMO. Not just pits. I can tell you, a fellow rescuer has had 3 small breed dogs killed when left unsupervised with other small breed dogs. I think the first time a yorkie, a pom and a lab mix killed the dog. The second time I believe it was a couple Shih Tzus who killed the other dog. Not sure about the third. She now keeps her dogs separated, but it just goes to show you, that ALL dogs should be separated when left alone (although again I donít follow this rule even though I know I should..).
Old 03-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptashelterpettoday View Post
You have to also realize this dog is in a shelter. I have known many dogs that were dog aggressive in the shelter, only to get them out and realize it was the shelter causing the dog aggression.
I know this is a possibility. We have had a few dogs adopted out who exhibited a lot of dog aggression at the shelter only to have their adopters give us updates saying these dogs had played with other dogs, for example, a black GSD mix who was adopted a few months ago who was DA. The adopters updated us and told us that she played with their relative's newfies!

Most of our dogs, though, aren't aggressive to anything. And the ones who are DA, they came in DA. I've never seen one come in friendly to dogs and then become DA. Except the pit bulls, the one I mentioned above and another who is very dog reactive (but he WILL sit and stay if you are firm).

(Btw, our dogs do not just sit in cages all the time. On the weekends they are walked by volunteers, and during the week the dog friendly ones are put into playgroups).

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

I'm just thankful that there are people who will take on these dogs . I personally wouldn't . There are many other breeds I wouldn't either though , so it's nothing against pitties

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/