Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Active Pup

Default Help settle dog feeding dispute

We have 2 dogs, a Golden Retriever, and Jack Russel, dashund mix. My wife, who is a dog groomer by trade, and I share feeding responsibilities.
Recently we discovered that we are feeding the dogs different amounts of food.
We feed the dogs Purina Dog Chow which we dispense via a plastic 2 cup measuring cup. We feed them twice a day, morning and evening.
I give each dog, a full 2 cup, cup full of food, each feeding. My wife gives each dog 1/2 that amount and says I am over feeding.
Now I can see where the smaller dog might not need as much, but I think only 1 cup (1/2 of the 2 cup, cup we use) is not enough food for the larger dog.
In summary, Wife says each dog gets 1 cup of food per feeding, and I give 2. Who is right?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Alpha Dog

Well... if I were a dog I would want you to feed me all the time.
Especially if I were the bigger golden retreiver

Look on your dog food bag for instructions on how much to
feed each dog. It will instruct you to feed them by their weight.
So much for so many pounds. I would feed the bigger dog more
given everything else is the same.

Chazhound
Old 06-23-2004, 04:40 PM
aka RedHotBabe

How much does the Golden Retriever weigh? Duke is 80 pounds and he gets between 2 and 2.5 cups a day (depending on how active he was that day). The feeding amounts on dog food bags are usually higher than what they should be. On the back of the dog food bag I have (California Natural), it says to feed an 80 pound dog who is moderately active 3.74 cups a day. Another factor in how much to feed is what type of food you feed. The better the food, the less you need to feed. Since you are feeding Purina, the Golden may require 4 cups a day. With a premium food like CA Natural, less food is required. Also, all the treats given to the dog during the day should be calculated into their food intake for the day and subtracted from the amount of food they receive. Each day Duke receives 3 to 5 Triumph or Nutro large dog bones, 2 to 2.5 cups of kibble, and possibly some bread or table scraps (usually a vegetable).

Hope that helped!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Felurian

You'll NEVER get a feeding dispute settled here! (rofl) In the first place, there are quite a few of us who don't consider anything Purina, Pedigree, Iams, Science Diet or any of the feeds typically available at the discount store or the vets to be "food."

That aside, you feed your dog according to weight and activity level, and stay aware of the condition of your dog and adjust the amount according to how your dog is maintaining weight. The amount is going to vary, too, with the season if you live somewhere with a significant temperature differential from winter to summer. Dogs - and cats, well, just about all animals, really - tend to eat more just before winter comes, and if they're active during cold weather they will also need more food. You'll notice a significant decrease in appetite when it's hot.