Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-30-2005, 08:50 PM
mostly ignored...

Default opinions please

Okay, so my little bundle of fluff is now...well not quite so little, and is houstrained, and has learned all of the basics backwards and frontwards. He is a sweet baby who comes when called (mostly ) and is generally a happy guy. My questions though are these:
1. He's sort of a momma's boy, and I was wondering if it would be fun for him or just generally traumatic to get a second poochie to have fun with him.
2. if it isn't such a trauma, what sorts of SMALL breeds of dogs do you thing would do well backpacking, hiking, swimming, canoing etc? I know Sunny is smaller, but we're sort of looking at the fact that our boys can be a little intimidated by him sometimes and it will be an easier sell to my supervisor if it is a smaller dog.
I'm no novice dog owner but this would be the first time I would be attempting owning two at a time and I am a little nervous, mostly because as I said Sunny is definatly a mommas boy and gets more then a little sad and jealous when I pet or play with other dogs. He doesn't snap at them or anything just cries like his heart is breaking. I don't want to hurt him, in fact the idea popped up since I thought he could use a puppy friend, but I just don't know. I have read that aussies are particularly sensitive breeds when it comes to who they own. sigh. I would love a second pooch, and am very willing to adopt but I don't want to get someone so small that he squishes the first time he tries to play with them. Any good ideas? thanks guys.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:55 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I would never have just one dog..can u imagine having no one that speaks your language? I use to have one big and one little dog, the last decade has been all big. I would go to petsaver.com and see if there is a dog that sings to my heart...and sunnypup's too. Mary was in mourning so she didn't speak to me for the first three weeks i brought Victor home, but now, well this speaks for itself. http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/sh...cat=500&page=4
Old 04-30-2005, 09:12 PM
mostly ignored...

been scouring petfinder...no one yet. I think it is because I don't know yet who I am looking for. I am not such a fan of tiny breeds but I would like some ideas on smaller ones so I have a better chance at winning my case. thanks smkie, that is a great picture
Old 04-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Felurian

You might do well with a larger female dog, particularly one that's had pups in the past; a motherly sort of dog. Those are usually good with kids and Sunny could have another 'mama' to love him.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-30-2005, 09:14 PM
mostly ignored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
You might do well with a larger female dog, particularly one that's had pups in the past; a motherly sort of dog. Those are usually good with kids and Sunny could have another 'mama' to love him.
ah, that sounds wonderful but as per the stipulations of my doggy biased supervisor and his superiors the dog can't "intimidate" the children. that means no big dogs. Sunny is even a little large for their taste. That's why I'm looking for opinions on smallish dogs.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:19 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Talking

Have you seen Dharma and Greg? How their dog has a dog? It won't change how Sunny feels about u either..(said by me who just got up off the floor while Mary, Vitor and Shaffer were all romping with me) btw guess who is picking up talking like chewbacca? Sunny is still young enough to appriciate a good romp with a pup..he will just consider it "his" dog and let you play with it once in a while...Hope u get one with a personality like Victor's..even Mary had to say good grief and love him too. I looked at petsavers for two weeks before i saw Vic...just knew the second i saw him that he was the one. The first couple of months were hard because he was so trumatized...but i trusted my heart to lead me and i was right. What ever u choose..from a breeder or shelter i am sure u will make the right choice. How does sunnypup react to puppies by himself? Some dogs luv em...like my friend's sharpeii/lab mix, and some can't stand them. Maybe you should take sunny around and ask him what he thinks!
Old 04-30-2005, 09:27 PM
mostly ignored...

Yeah, I definatly want to get a second pooch, and and adoption feels like the way to go, just need some ideas as to what types of dogs fit in with our lifestyle that are more on the diminuative side. Oh if we could all be so lucky to have a victor in our lives smkie ! Actually I'd be happy with a second sunny personally but I don't think someone can get this lucky twice in a row! So, decision 1 is decided. Going to look for a pup. Decision two is up for debate, what kind of pooch will be small enough to make the supervisor happy, be able to withstand long walks and overnight backpacking trips without feeling like it is going to die or break, and will get along with another dog. I am thinking a female so there isn't too much chance for agression. JRT maybe? I dunno. Hopefully someone pops out at me soon, so I can go begging to my boss!
Old 04-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Big Mutts

I love Smkie's idea, have Sunny pick out the next puppy. How nice it would be if all kids could pick a sibling they would get along with!
Old 04-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Awww I think anouther dog would be great for you and Sunny and others.
Here's a few breeds that could fit your needs.
Alaskan Klee Kai - I personally am against the breeding of this breed but alot of people like them and their just as athletic as a regular husky and hame in three different small sizes.
Welsh Corgie
Mini Schnauzer
Beagel
English Cocker Spaniel
Dachund
Jack Russel
Toy Poodle (trust me that can work out)
Cairn Terrier (great dogs my neighbor owns one)
Toy German Spitz (standard would be good too)
Papillon

Thats all the athletic small breeds i know of that would fit in your home as well. Good luck .

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 04-30-2005, 09:37 PM
mostly ignored...

OOOOH A CORGI!!! I hadn't thought of those guys! Paps seem like they could be a little delicate for backpacking. The Kleeklee looks like it would be a little uncomfortable here in the summer....daschunds...not my cuppa' . Thanks for the suggestions though. Keep em coming guys! (off to look for corgies!)