Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Default Crates: What Size and Any Particular Brand?

Hi again,

The pups I'm getting will be 8 weeks old but when adult will reach about 17" high and weigh, in pounds, in the mid 20s. I will get each of them a crate but I know I'll need to divide them. When people are talking about crates are they talking about pet carrier crates or crate cages? Do they all come with dividers? What size do I get? Are any brands better than others?

I've never crate trained before. I was always a lock-them-in-the-bathroom-with-a-lot-of-newspaper trainer but times have changed (thank the gods!) and so am I.

Many thanks!
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron
Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

These crates come with dividers so that when the pups are small, they are confined to an area suitable. And when they grow up, they get the space they need.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Show Dog

For my money it's the Vari-Kennel. I don't know about sizes though.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Top Dog

Varikennel is my fav too. I'm not a big fan of the all wire cage style crates and you ca't use them for plane travel or safety in the car.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Top Dog

Wrigley has that exact Midwest crate and it is great! I think we have one of the largest ones they make (it would easily fit a Golden or Lab in it) which is rather funny as he is 15 lbs! LOL But..we kept it small as a pup for potty training (just enough room to turn and lay), and gradually as he was more and more potty trained made it bigger and bigger until around 8 months we freed up the entire crate--and now he has tons of room!