Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Active Pup

Default Working Full Time and Raising a Puppy

My wife and I have been thinking very hard about getting a dog. We don't jump into anything without first doing as much research as possible.

So.............

We know we want a dog, we know are ready for the committment to add a new member to the family and gladly take on the added resposibility and financial committment as well.

However.................

My wife and I both work M-F, 8-4 jobs. My biggest concern is what do we do with the puppy while we are at work?

I have looked into doggy daycare and it is very expensive. In my area it is around $40CAD per day (not including taxes). Considering the breeder will give us the puppy at 8 weeks, this can get really expensive.

I don't really have the option of a full time family member living with is while we raise the puppy.

My questions are:

1. At what age can a puppy be left alone in the house (in a crate of course)? For how long? We can also dedicate a room to the puppy if need a crate is too small for the day.

2. Would it be ok to have the puppy crated and have a dog walker come in at lunch everyday?

We could probably swing Doggy Daycare for the first few weeks after we get the pup, but after 12 weeks it will get way to pricey. A dog walker is only about $15/hr.

Because of the breed we are interested starting from a puppy is pretty much our only option.

Your help and thoughts are greatly appreciated. Puppy hood although an important time is only a small part of the dogs life. We don't want to miss out on a new family member because someone can't be there 8-4 during the day for the first 8 months.

Many thanks

Detox
Old 02-08-2007, 06:12 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Because of the breed we are interested starting from a puppy is pretty much our only option.
Do you mind if I ask what breed it is you are interested in?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
Do you mind if I ask what breed it is you are interested in?
Great question. (You beat me to it)
Old 02-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Active Pup

A Leonberger of course.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Why don't you go through a leon rescue group and adopt a young but older pup maybe 10 months or so? Unless you can come home mid-day to care for your pup and give them a potty break an older pup maybe your only option.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 PM
But please, call me Barb

The rule of thumb (and remember, every pup is different) is one hour for each month old. So an 8 week old puppy is probably going to need to go out every two hours. I do think it's a bit longer for the larger breeds, I brought Dante home when he was 4 months old and within a week he was sleeping 8 hours at night

You don't say if either of you are close enough to come home at lunch, or how far you are from work so how long you're actually gone from home each day.

Could you get a walker to come in 2x a day for a half hour each time?

Good luck!!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:55 PM
<--------Orson

I don't understand why you would think you have to start with a puppy. Leonbergers are generally known for their sweet temperament and kind nature towards everyone...............(unless I have my dogs confused)
I mean if you have your reasons, I am not trying to judge you in anyway at all. But there are really great dogs in rescues that would suit your family too, and a good rescue will match you up.
And fillyone's advice on age vs potty breaks sounds about right to me too
Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Top Dog

I think that working full time with a puppy is not a good idea Less time for bonding, training etc. The best would be to take an older dog, or to take a puppy but before a vacation.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

I work full time, and when I got Shippo, I just split my work day in half and came home for lunch for an hour or so. But I was close to my job, so that made it easier. >^^;<

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 02-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Active Pup

With all do respect I know of all my options to find adult dogs (rescue, pound etc) and will excercise that decision if/when it comes to that. The purpose of this thread was to discuss the feasability of raising a puppy while working full time.

Leo Rescue in Canada is pretty rare, the few breeders in Canada have done a pretty good job of putting their pups in homes that will not result in giving them up.

At the moment neither my wife nor I can make it home at lunch, but there is an abundance of dog walkers in our area. Usually they charge $15/hr, maybe they will come twice at a 1/2hr each time as well. Not sure. What dog walker could resist meeting a leo puppy twice a day.

I know and understand that leaving a puppy home alone during the day while you are at work is not ideal. However, isn't it a little over protective to imply it's not an option?

I can assure you that the puppy will get an insane amount of love in the evenings and on weekends. Also, our area is the 'doggy capital' of the city so socializing the dog will not be difficult at all.

For those of you who raised your puppy from 8 weeks (which seems to be the average time a breeder gives them up) and we're able to come home only at lunch. How did it go? What was your experience?

Cheers,

Detox