Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-15-2004, 12:50 PM
dudimus maximus

Default removing peepee and poopy scents

I've done a lot of reading, here and elsewhere, and it seems our problem is scents.

when we first moved into this house we found yellow stains everywhere. we shampooed the carpet twice, but i don't think it was good enough for one reason.

Our whippet and Dalmatian can spend an entire day in their kennel together with no problems. you let them out, they go pee and poop in the yard, like they are suppposed too. You leave EITHER of them in the house alone for only a couple hours and their is pee and poop everywhere. even if they went right before we left the house!!!

I think it is the scent because the whippet is going on 13 and NEVER had problems like this before. I don't think he age is causing bladder weakness yet because he does fine in the kennel, and seems very healthy still.

So if you think my theory on the scents is probably my true issue, i'm wondering if there is a specific brand of carpet cleaner you would suggest? I'd like to clean it within the next day or two anyways because my in-laws will be house sitting for me this weekend.

thanks!!
Dustin07
Old 06-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Alpha Dog

Hey Dustin07,
May need some commercial help there for a permanent solution.

But for a quick splash of freshness try spreading dry borax over the carpet and leave it for about 10 minutes and then just vacum it up.

Chazhound
Old 06-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Felurian

Check with a pet supply store for a spot cleaner to tide you over until your in-laws visit is over. You might try hitting it with an oxygen type cleaner, too. Then you'll want to completely clean the carpet. Chazhound's right, you'll be better off if you can get it professionally cleaned, just make sure they understand what you're trying to accomplish and shop around to see who seems to have the best track record. If you can't find a suitable professional, rent a commercial type cleaner and add an agent that deodorizes along with your cleaner. You can usually find something like that at Lowes or Home Depot or a store of that nature. Just test the solution on the carpet first to make sure it doesn't fade.

The borax should help, too. I keep a box of 20 Mule Team Borax around for all sorts of stuff - there's nothing like it for cleaning tubs and showers, especially.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:57 PM
dudimus maximus

sounds good, thanks for the advice!!
Old 06-23-2004, 05:04 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Another suggestion would be Nature's Miracle. It neutralizes the odor so the dog can't smell it anymore. I used it on a spot that Duke would sneak off to every now and then to pee, and since I treated the area, he hasn't had any more accidents. I think they carry it at Petsmart, maybe Petco too, but I haven't been to either of them in awhile so I wouldn't know for sure.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:12 PM
dudimus maximus

Thanks for the suggestion, I might try that.

My wife and I were out of town Friday, Saturday and most of Sunday, and the in-laws house sat. The dogs had no issues, but were never alone very long. I'm thinking this might have helped with any anxiety problems. On Monday we left them in the house... kind of experiemental. my wife ended up coming home early to a garbage/poop mess.

I kind of have another theory that whenever they get into the garbage they know they are in trouble so they poop and pee. There was no pee this time, but plenty of poop (twice from the whippet...).

So Tuesday I put the garbage outside and put only the set mousetrap where the garbage used to be. we came home to a clean house, although the mouse trap had been set off.... i'm going to keep setting the garbage outside and setting the mouse trap for a while if this keeps working.

Has anyone else ever known of dogs to poop or pee from nervousness or anxiety due to breaking rules? (like getting into garbage?). I don't hit them, but i do make sure they know they are in the wrong. (send them to their room, or outside, etc.).
Old 06-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Felurian

It makes perfect sense.

Sounds like you're getting a handle on the problem and are well on the way to solving it.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Where can you get dry borax?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Felurian

Hey, Ti. You can get it just by buying old fashioned 20 Mule Team Borax in the laundry aisle. There are probably other ways, but I've never looked because I can always find good ol' 20 Mule Team.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Good. I am going to try that...